Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

why do we have to tip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 50>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:16pm

well go in the back and get your own plate and drink

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jun 30 2014 at 3:16pm
Sponsored Links

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:17pm
I'm paying for my food. I dont owe anybody anything. I donate to a boys' home, and i help out the old lady next door. I'm good with that.
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:19pm
I know cashiers make about $7000-$1000 but i dont know if that is weekly or fortnightly and i dont know if it's after tax. Next time i head to the supermarket i'll ask. I'd never ask a waiter/ess how much they make and i dont know anyone who is a waiter or waitress.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:22pm
yanno what i kinda dont understand..?

when you buy a groupon.. and they ALWAYS make sure to put, 'please tip on the full value of meal' 

i dont quite understand that.. 
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:23pm

maybe the wait service where you are is really that bad

I don't go to ruby tuesday expecting ruth's chris service, but I still tip 15% at ruby tuesday and probably 20% to 25% at ruth's chris (this maybe be considered cheap to some lol)

I like being served

I love sitting down and everything being brought to me

it is a luxury that I look forward to when I go out

I take pride in rewarding good service

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jun 30 2014 at 3:25pm
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

A tip is not a service charge is not a gratuity.

this may be the case when the workers are already receiving fair wages.  but when they are not, the lines can become blurred...

Here is where the difference between a service charge and a gratuity becomes critical. Gratuities paid to employees are exempt from GCT but service charges are not. If service charges were exempt from GCT, the owner of the restaurant, club or bar could reduce the prices of the meals and drinks and increase the service charge as a way of reducing the taxable portion of the bill.

hmmmm...this is interesting.   so are you saying that gratuities that workers receive there, they do not have to pay taxes on?  if so that is not the case here.  workers here are taxed on their base pay as well as tips (discretionary or not)
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

when you buy a groupon.. and they ALWAYS make sure to put, 'please tip on the full value of meal' 

i kinda get that.  theyre saying the wait staff got nothin to do with you getting a deal and they still need to get paid.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

you are getting a discount on the food not the service

they are two different things
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:25pm

I wonder how some of yall treat cashiers and sales associates..............or anyone providing you a service
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

I'm paying for my food. I dont owe anybody anything. I donate to a boys' home, and i help out the old lady next door. I'm good with that.

and i'd rather people just keep it all the way real when clearly they don't give 2 shyts about workers not being paid fairly...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jun 30 2014 at 3:26pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair