Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

why do we have to tip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 50>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:54pm
But Fee, the service charge is pooled and then everyone takes a cut. And that is if the boss pays it over. At a certain AI I know that they just did not pay over the tips (its a formula based on occupancy per day) for years. Talking to hotel workers they'll tell you it's widespread.

Sponsored Links

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:55pm
it would go up by as high as 30%

Not just the eigratuity but they have to pay taxes on the gratuity and add costs for the additional admin work managing how the tips are allocated

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:58pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

But Fee, the service charge is pooled and then everyone takes a cut. And that is if the boss pays it over. At a certain AI I know that they just did not pay over the tips (its a formula based on occupancy per day) for years. Talking to hotel workers they'll tell you it's widespread.

but isn't this just essentially a pooled tip?  the same as a tip jar that is split at the end of the shift?
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:59pm
If my meal costs 3 grand, and its gonna move to 3,300, i wouldn't have a problem with that. Once the workers are being properly paid. ...clearly they will not earn executive salaries....i dont think MW is an unfair salary for a server
Domestic workers who break their backs day in day out, are being paid that. They should be paid more too, if servers should get more than MW.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:00pm

ive heard of that

@ the bolded.... wouldnt that mean everybody gets paid the same? a cut as in equally shared?

Edited by Wildfire - Jun 30 2014 at 3:01pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

A tip is not a service charge is not a gratuity.

this may be the case when the workers are already receiving fair wages.  but when they are not, the lines can become blurred...

Not talking along those lines TC lolol but this is the article that was the wakeup call for me here in Ja. and that r@ss gratuity.

One — a service charge is generally not discretionary. A fly could be doing the backstroke in your soup that your waiter spilt on you and you may still be required to pay the service charge. After all, it's not called a 'good-service' charge.

Here is where the difference between a service charge and a gratuity becomes critical. Gratuities paid to employees are exempt from GCT but service charges are not. If service charges were exempt from GCT, the owner of the restaurant, club or bar could reduce the prices of the meals and drinks and increase the service charge as a way of reducing the taxable portion of the bill.

Before you restaurateurs go and reprint your menus to replace the phrase 'service charge' with 'gratuity' you should know that the label doesn't determine what the thing really is. For example, a statement that "a 10 per cent gratuity will be added to parties of six or more" isn't really a gratuity at all if it's mandatory. It's a service charge that those 6 or more socialites are required to pay whether they are grateful for the service or not.

Of greater significance, therefore, is whether the charge (a) is automatically applied to the bill, and (b) is capable of being decreased or removed by the customer. In general, a service charge is automatically applied to the bill and cannot be removed by the customer, a gratuity may be either automatically applied (for "convenience" as they say) or added by the customer and can be removed by the customer. A tip is added to the bill by the customer as he or she sees fit or simply left as cash on the table.

From a tax perspective, if the customer has the right to remove a gratuity that has been automatically added to the bill (for "convenience", of course) then the gratuity, even though not removed, should be exempt from GCT. If the customer is denied that right then it's not a gratuity but is really a service charge, and a service charge by any other name is just as taxable.

Edited by Diane (35) - Jun 30 2014 at 3:03pm
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:04pm

well most paeople are complaing about paying a $1.50 to $15 tip....which I find gross

that means your bill was $10 to $100

it is really hurting people to do this?

you can afford a $10 to $100 meal but not the small ass tip?

keep your ass home
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

If my meal costs 3 grand, and its gonna move to 3,300, i wouldn't have a problem with that. Once the workers are being properly paid. ...clearly they will not earn executive salaries....i dont think MW is an unfair salary for a server
Domestic workers who break their backs day in day out, are being paid that. They should be paid more too, if servers should get more than MW.

and so we are simply saying if you know (here) that the workers are making $2.13/hr and are relying on tips, and you know that if they were paid at least minimum wage the prices would go up AT LEAST 10% (but probably more like 15-20...see where i'm going here?) why wouldn't you tip them, since the total out of pocket cost for your meal would be more anyway, if they were paid at least minimum wage?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:08pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

hmmm i pay my helper more than minimum wage i realised the other day (thanks YardGirl, by me I mean mommy) but the gardener and the helper are unskilled workers right, no certifcation needed. They have a less stressful job if you look at it that the waiter is dealing with all the persons in the restaurant (customers call on any waiter not just the one assigned) and trying to juggle and rush the kitchen and bar staff and deal with the hostess/clear tables etc etc. The waiter/ess needs CXC subjects and a food handlers permit at minimum. Possible a couple hospitality courses as well.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

well most paeople are complaing about paying a $1.50 to $15 tip....which I find gross

that means your bill was $10 to $100

it is really hurting people to do this?

you can afford a $10 to $100 meal but not the small ass tip?

keep your ass home

right bc nobody is forcing you to eat out. they have grocery stores for a reason. use your pots, pans, and 'tricty. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 50>
  Share Topic