Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

why do we have to tip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 44>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I don't think it's courteous or good to tip.

I think it directly plays into the hand of owners and the people who profit from the work of their underpaid employees.

and not tipping just makes them more underpaid...

so its my duty to supplement their wages? why?
Sponsored Links

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by Blac1Chyna Blac1Chyna wrote:

its not servitude though. its a job. you don't tip the person at mcdonalds even though they are pretty much doing the same thing. serving you food. and some fast food establishments will bring the food to you.

ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

welp i skimmed that long azz post and it appears that mostly in Europe the service charge is AUTOMATICALLY included in the bill.  so, you are FORCED to tip. 

how is that any different from what we are suggesting here...which is that one should tip considering the fact that you KNOW these workers make less...Sleepy

But is it considered a 'tip' if its a part of the bill? A service charge and a tip arent necessarily the same thing, right? 

huh?  so you would be ok if the bill included the service charge (ie tip)....this is pretty much the same since it is a given the price would go up if wages go up as you are advocating...
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:20pm

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I don't think it's courteous or good to tip.

I think it directly plays into the hand of owners and the people who profit from the work of their underpaid employees.

and not tipping just makes them more underpaid...

so its my duty to supplement their wages? why?

sigh...then don't.  but then don't try and mind trick me into believing you actually give a shyt about workers fair wages (not you specifically but in general) when you know the workers are making less than minimum wages for the most part and you won't tip them.   i'd much rather you go all out with it and say f*ck those workers and their shytty azz pay. 

this is the system here.  i don't like it necessarily.  but i like to go out to eat.  i be damned if i stiff the worker when i know the deal.
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

why not send a plate back in Jamaica?  Was she 'fraid allyuh? Afraid the staff was gonna cuss she?

I've never had to return anything. Never really thought to, come to think of it. The hotle servers are the worstLOL
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:25pm
TC, that 8% sounds pretty good if you're a server doing ok...I do think MOSTppl tip accordingly.

Wildfire that believe is wrong because being served is not meant to be free, it's an extra service you pay for as part of dining in, they're accommodating you. So you sorta are obligated.

Ohmycurlz, you shouldn't keep eating at a place of that's how you feel and truth be told I don't know why any of y'all allow Chinese ppl to prepare your food.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:28pm
knowing ahead of time that you don't intend to tip

Yet have them serve you anyway

Is just wrong 
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:29pm

pity i love going to places where they know my name/face and what/how i like it.  love it.

Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:31pm

Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

people tip beauticians? never heard of this strange thing.
while I understand (dont agree --i shouldn't feel obligated to tip, even for good service. Youre getting paid)what Ricky is saying about the service being somewhat separate from the food cost....
... at the salon, I pay you for a service...why am i tipping you again on top of that??

the beautician who does your hair doesn't get the whole 200 to whatever it cost to get your hair done right? do those beauticians have to pay for their station area to work at?

My beautician is the only beneficiary of what I pay. She rents the other stations and people pay her a little something for rental and utilities at the end of the month. 
If Im not mistaken, that's how it generally works at the other salons as well. 

You know i was gonna mention that Jamaican (generally) dont tip but i left it out lol
Wait? What you don't tip the hairdresser? It isn't like AA hairdressers who make 100s I washed blow dried and canerowed/cornrowed my hair for $800 JMD (about $7.5USD) and i tipped her $300, it was so cheap i was shocked. Ok well I generally stay out of salons but i always tip. They are always mighty surprised and grateful about it too. 

I tipped the nail lady too Paid $1200 for the pedi and $300 for the tip should have paid more cause she did a foot rub leg massage, sprayed my feet down with supm nice but i had no more cash and didn't feel like walking to the atm- Bye bye Martina's Nail Place and it's semi-ratchetry. 

I tip the young gentle man that does my groceries and i tip the waiters or waitresses. hell if i have the extra cash i may tip the person that puts the gas in the car, but it is rare. 

I don't tip bartenders aka bar girls (at the round the corner bars, i dont go out for drinks only) though cause i know all of them are thieves and if im out with guys one of us girls goes to settle the bill, i know they HATE that. Can't add ish to the bill you never served if it's a chick paying. Your exposed tits and tights and batty showing, flirty ways will not distract me. Give me my change too!

I tip the butcher's assistants who carry my light as hell bag of meat to the car, the service is not even needed lol.

Shoot some of the places i go for lunch have the tip jar they dont do much but dish out my food choices and give me the plate to then go to the cashier. I drop 50-150 JMD but only if i know the workers get the tips, i ask on the sly. (cafe blue/deli by sovereign centre workers dont get the tipsOuch but Y Not Pita/CPJ deli do) I refuse to tip the folks at tutti fruitti cause they're already. overcharging me. Perhaps i should slide them a $100 but no i cant cause they're handling food.

Edited by Diane (35) - Jun 30 2014 at 2:33pm
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:33pm

welp i skimmed that long azz post and it appears that mostly in Europe the service charge is AUTOMATICALLY included in the bill.  so, you are FORCED to tip. 

how is that any different from what we are suggesting here...which is that one should tip considering the fact that you KNOW these workers make less...Sleepy

But is it considered a 'tip' if its a part of the bill? A service charge and a tip arent necessarily the same thing, right? 

huh?  so you would be ok if the bill included the service charge (ie tip)....this is pretty much the same since it is a given the price would go up if wages go up as you are advocating...

I really do not anticipate the price of  meals going up drastically if workers are paid better. I can only speak for here though. As far as I know, workers in that category get paid minimum, and overtime, etc. Bills already include service charge. All the more reason why i dont generally tip.

Edited by Wildfire - Jun 30 2014 at 2:33pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2223242526 44>