BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

why do we have to tip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 50>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by JamCaygirl JamCaygirl wrote:

My whole beef with the tipping system is about servers getting short changed. I personally do not understand why hostesses should get a higher basic wage than a server, considering the differences in their jobs...

that's fine.  but the workers are getting even more short changed when you don't tip.  the hostess is not receiving any tips which is why they get a higher wage.

look.  i'm generally the first on the corp aint shat bandwagon.  but, i just can't see how going out to eat in places where tips are a part of the compensation and not tipping is sticking it to the man or making any sort of social change.  no.

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jun 29 2014 at 10:00pm
Sponsored Links

JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:00pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

My whole beef with the tipping system is about servers getting short changed. I personally do not understand why hostesses should get a higher basic wage than a server, considering the differences in their jobs...

that's fine.  but the workers are getting even more short changed when you don't tip.  the hostess is not receiving any tips which is why they get a higher wage.

Im not sure, but I think you may be missing that I am advocating for "no tipping, but fair wages instead", and not" no tipping with current wages"...

If they can pay the hostesses and not have them rely on tips, why cant they do it with the wait staff?Confused

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Blac1Chyna Blac1Chyna wrote:

its not servitude though. its a job. you don't tip the person at mcdonalds even though they are pretty much doing the same thing. serving you food. and some fast food establishments will bring the food to you..

some restaurants include the gratuity in the bill when you carryout and then still have the nerve to have a tip option on your receipt.

these people weren't stolen from their neighborhoods and forced to become servers. they knew full well what they applied for and how much they'd make an hr when they applied for the job. so don't feel entitled for me to give you extra money on top of that

the people at mcdonalds are paid at least minimum wage.   you are mixing apples and oranges.

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jun 29 2014 at 10:02pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:03pm

its not servitude though. its a job. you don't tip the person at mcdonalds even though they are pretty much doing the same thing. serving you food. and some fast food establishments will bring the food to you..

some restaurants include the gratuity in the bill when you carryout and then still have the nerve to have a tip option on your receipt.

these people weren't stolen from their neighborhoods and forced to become servers. they knew full well what they applied for and how much they'd make an hr when they applied for the job. so don't feel entitled for me to give you extra money on top of that

the people at mcdonalds are paid at least minimum wage.   you are mixing apples and oranges.

and yet the food is so cheap!

SN, I went to McDonalds in the Middle East and nearly fainted at the prices... I paid it thoOuchOuch
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:06pm

Im not sure, but I think you may be missing that I am advocating for "no tipping, but fair wages instead", and not" no tipping with current wages"...

If they can pay the hostesses and not have them rely on tips, why cant they do it with the wait staff?Confused

of course we would all love for servers to make more.  we would all love for servers to make a fair wage.   however, this is not the case.  and since we know this.  how does it serve (no pun intended) in the best interest of the worker for you to go receive services with the full knowledge that they are making well below the minimum wage and not tip?  how is that going to make a difference in the system?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:08pm

and yet the food is so cheap!

SN, I went to McDonalds in the Middle East and nearly fainted at the prices... I paid it thoOuchOuch

lol....sigh...i can't.LOLCryDead
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:14pm

of course we would all love for servers to make more.  we would all love for servers to make a fair wage.   however, this is not the case.  and since we know this.  how does it serve (no pun intended) in the best interest of the worker for you to go receive services with the full knowledge that they are making well below the minimum wage and not tip?  how is that going to make a difference in the system?

Like I said earlier, i don't advocate one person not tipping to make a point, I would advocate EVERYONE not tipping to force a change....

1 person would not make a difference, you would just look cheap...

And yes, it was a bit much to mention the whole sitting at the back of the bus thing, but

If only 1 person opted to walk and not take the bus, there would not have been a difference, protesting only works when there is critical mass...

Obviously people are not invested enough in the exploitation of low paid workers to do anything to make a difference, so we will carry on.

Listen to this lady on BET!
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:22pm
Handshake
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:32pm
go to SoBe where 18% tip is included....and i think my Dh still left a tip on top of that to make it an even 20% since the service was good.

i factor tip into meals out.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 29 2014 at 10:39pm
after tips they aren't low paid, they make more than minimum wage

I say that just to illustrate that doing away with optional tips

Businesses will either add mandatory gratuity or increase food prices by at least 25%

Wait staff bank on the few very generous to make their night, it pushes then to go above and beyond

Businesses would have to work that incentive in somehow to retain workers

Edited by rickysrose - Jun 29 2014 at 10:44pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair