Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

why do we have to tip?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 50>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 7 Votes, Average 3.86  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

pity i love going to places where they know my name/face and what/how i like it.  love it.

Sponsored Links

Diane (35) View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diane (35) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:31pm
Originally posted by Wildfire Wildfire wrote:

Originally posted by DiorShowGirl DiorShowGirl wrote:

people tip beauticians? never heard of this strange thing.
while I understand (dont agree --i shouldn't feel obligated to tip, even for good service. Youre getting paid)what Ricky is saying about the service being somewhat separate from the food cost....
... at the salon, I pay you for a service...why am i tipping you again on top of that??

the beautician who does your hair doesn't get the whole 200 to whatever it cost to get your hair done right? do those beauticians have to pay for their station area to work at?

My beautician is the only beneficiary of what I pay. She rents the other stations and people pay her a little something for rental and utilities at the end of the month. 
If Im not mistaken, that's how it generally works at the other salons as well. 

You know i was gonna mention that Jamaican (generally) dont tip but i left it out lol
Wait? What you don't tip the hairdresser? It isn't like AA hairdressers who make 100s I washed blow dried and canerowed/cornrowed my hair for $800 JMD (about $7.5USD) and i tipped her $300, it was so cheap i was shocked. Ok well I generally stay out of salons but i always tip. They are always mighty surprised and grateful about it too. 

I tipped the nail lady too Paid $1200 for the pedi and $300 for the tip should have paid more cause she did a foot rub leg massage, sprayed my feet down with supm nice but i had no more cash and didn't feel like walking to the atm- Bye bye Martina's Nail Place and it's semi-ratchetry. 

I tip the young gentle man that does my groceries and i tip the waiters or waitresses. hell if i have the extra cash i may tip the person that puts the gas in the car, but it is rare. 

I don't tip bartenders aka bar girls (at the round the corner bars, i dont go out for drinks only) though cause i know all of them are thieves and if im out with guys one of us girls goes to settle the bill, i know they HATE that. Can't add ish to the bill you never served if it's a chick paying. Your exposed tits and tights and batty showing, flirty ways will not distract me. Give me my change too!

I tip the butcher's assistants who carry my light as hell bag of meat to the car, the service is not even needed lol.

Shoot some of the places i go for lunch have the tip jar they dont do much but dish out my food choices and give me the plate to then go to the cashier. I drop 50-150 JMD but only if i know the workers get the tips, i ask on the sly. (cafe blue/deli by sovereign centre workers dont get the tipsOuch but Y Not Pita/CPJ deli do) I refuse to tip the folks at tutti fruitti cause they're already. overcharging me. Perhaps i should slide them a $100 but no i cant cause they're handling food.

Edited by Diane (35) - Jun 30 2014 at 2:33pm
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:33pm

welp i skimmed that long azz post and it appears that mostly in Europe the service charge is AUTOMATICALLY included in the bill.  so, you are FORCED to tip. 

how is that any different from what we are suggesting here...which is that one should tip considering the fact that you KNOW these workers make less...Sleepy

But is it considered a 'tip' if its a part of the bill? A service charge and a tip arent necessarily the same thing, right? 

huh?  so you would be ok if the bill included the service charge (ie tip)....this is pretty much the same since it is a given the price would go up if wages go up as you are advocating...

I really do not anticipate the price of  meals going up drastically if workers are paid better. I can only speak for here though. As far as I know, workers in that category get paid minimum, and overtime, etc. Bills already include service charge. All the more reason why i dont generally tip.

Edited by Wildfire - Jun 30 2014 at 2:33pm
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:35pm

I thought service charge = tip

if you are paying a service charge you are paying a tip

found this to help me out lol

Tip versus service charge

Beginning January 1, 2014, the IRS is requiring employers to classify automatic gratuities as service charges. Service charges distributed to employees are treated as regular wages, subject to normal payroll tax withholding rules. This is a change that will mean added costs and paperwork for restaurants, upfront withholding of federal taxes, and delayed time in receiving the take home pay for waiters and waitresses.

The IRS defines a tip as having the following characteristics:

1. The payment must be made free from compulsion (the customer is not required to pay a tip but voluntarily does so);
  2. The customer must have the unrestricted right to determine the amount (the restaurant cannot automatically calculate the gratuity);
  3. The payment should not be the subject of negotiations or dictated by employer policy (the restaurant does not negotiate with the customer for a gratuity amount); and
  4. Generally, the customer has the right to determine who receives the payment (as opposed to the employer.)

If the above criteria are not met, the amount is considered a service charge and treated for all tax purposes as regular wages. For example, if a restaurant automatically applies an 18 percent gratuity on checks for parties of six or more, the automatic gratuity is considered a service charge instead of a tip. If the customer decides to give an additional tip amount (in excess of the automatic 18 percent), that extra amount is considered a tip if the other criteria were also met. As a result, some restaurants may consider adding suggested tip amounts regardless of the party size, allowing customers to choose to tip more or less, in order to ensure that the amount will not be classified as a service charge.

If the automatic gratuity is considered to be a service charge rather than a tip, under federal law, service charges belong to the restaurant and become a part of the restaurant’s gross receipts and may be retained or distributed as management sees fit. Service charges distributed to employees are treated as wages and can be used to assist employers in meeting their requirement to pay employees minimum wage. Unfortunately, since automatic gratuity is a service charge and not considered a tip, employers cannot use those amounts when calculating the Credit for Employer Social Security and Medicare Taxes Paid on Certain Employee Tips, otherwise known as the tip credit, even if management chooses to distribute the amount to the employees.

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jun 30 2014 at 2:37pm
creole booty View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote creole booty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:35pm
I tip for the service I expect to get on my next visit. It works.
Princess_S View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess_S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:36pm
My hairdresser prices have almost doubled. Since moving from working out of her home to a salon. Actually the room in her house was bigger than this place she is renting. :-( SO i assume she has factored in the cost of rent into her new prices.  I still tip her though. I don't want to be "blacklisted"  lol
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:36pm

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I don't think it's courteous or good to tip.

I think it directly plays into the hand of owners and the people who profit from the work of their underpaid employees.

and not tipping just makes them more underpaid...

so its my duty to supplement their wages? why?

sigh...then don't.  but then don't try and mind trick me into believing you actually give a shyt about workers fair wages (not you specifically but in general) when you know the workers are making less than minimum wages for the most part and you won't tip them.   i'd much rather you go all out with it and say f*ck those workers and their shytty azz pay. 

this is the system here.  i don't like it necessarily.  but i like to go out to eat.  i be damned if i stiff the worker when i know the deal.

And I dont, for the most part.
As I said, i give my money to those who are in dire need. Not people who are already employed. 
I do tip on occasion, if I feel like it. I don't see it as an obligation however.

Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

Wildfire that believe is wrong because being served is not meant to be free, it's an extra service you pay for as part of dining in, they're accommodating you. So you sorta are obligated.

I disagree. I already pay service charges. 
Wildfire View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wildfire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by Diane (35) Diane (35) wrote:

You know i was gonna mention that Jamaican (generally) dont tip but i left it out lol
Wait? What you don't tip the hairdresser? 

She owns the shop. Tip her for what miss?ConfusedLOL
maybe i would tip the manicurist, since she has to pay for the station etc...but not the owner.
ThoughtCouture View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThoughtCouture Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 30 2014 at 2:40pm

I really do not anticipate the price of  meals going up drastically if workers are paid better. I can only speak for here though. As far as I know, workers in that category get paid minimum, and overtime, etc. Bills already include service charge. All the more reason why i dont generally tip.

Confused so, you really believe (i am speaking for here) if the wages go up from $2.13/hr (minimum required in over half the states here for tipped workers) to $8.25 that the prices will remain the same?  ok...Sleepy 

your bill here typically would not include a service charge because the worker who is serving you is not being paid enough in the first place...

Edited by ThoughtCouture - Jun 30 2014 at 2:42pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style