Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why do vendors wash lace wig/ lfront hair in acid?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWhy do vendors wash lace wig/ lfront hair in acid?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Hair ViVi

Author
first time View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why do vendors wash lace wig/ lfront hair in acid?
    Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:21am
I'm not familiar with this process maybe someone can clarify. Why do vendors wash hair in acid? What is acid washed hair? Does it help the hair I'm confused?
Sponsored Links

joileprincess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:37am
I believe that they acid wash the hair to remove the cuticles. This allows the vendor to fold the hair over at any point and avoid the tangles created when Remy hair is folded over. You avoid the problem of misaligned cuticles. Many believe that it makes the hair weaker but the extent is depends on the quality of the raw materials. I have folded over my Remy hair with no problem as long as the hair is moisturized well. I have also used hair with the cuticle removed with good results.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:40am
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

I believe that they acid wash the hair to remove the cuticles. This allows the vendor to fold the hair over at any point and avoid the tangles created when Remy hair is folded over. You avoid the problem of misaligned cuticles. Many believe that it makes the hair weaker but the extent is depends on the quality of the raw materials. I have folded over my Remy hair with no problem as long as the hair is moisturized well. I have also used hair with the cuticle removed with good results.
Its normal for the Indian Remy hair to be washed in acid? I didn't understand thanks for the clarifacation
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 8:50am
Remy hair has the cuticles intact and in the same direction so if I am right about the process, it should NOT be acid washed. The acid removes the cuticles. Someone mentioned that it makes the hair more coarse and yaki-like when it is dipped but I am almost certain that that refers to a dip in perm solution which is basic or alkaline, not acidic.
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 9:01am
Originally posted by joileprincess joileprincess wrote:

Remy hair has the cuticles intact and in the same direction so if I am right about the process, it should NOT be acid washed. The acid removes the cuticles. Someone mentioned that it makes the hair more coarse and yaki-like when it is dipped but I am almost certain that that refers to a dip in perm solution which is basic or alkaline, not acidic.
I'm confused if I order a lace wig with Indian Remy hair it shouldn't be washed in acid?  When I ask the vendors about acid wash hair hey talk around the question, and say if I don't want acid washed hair its $20 exta. If its Indian Remy its not supposed to be washed in acid? I'm so confused Confused
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 9:05am
"so if I am right about the process, it should NOT be acid washed"
chuladi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 05 2006 at 9:51am
Quote If its Indian Remy its not supposed to be washed in acid? I'm so confused

You are correct. I have noticed a lot of Chinese vendors using the term Remy hair to apply to acid dipped hair. I don't know if it's a matter of them jumping on the bandwagon and not explaining, or if it's a difference in communication, or if they are just getting over.

Virgin, unprocessed hair not dipped in acid does cost more becuase with acid dipped hair, they can use double drawn hair (misaligned cuticles, roots and tips mixed, less expensive) but with virgin hair they have to use single drawn. And yes, the hair usually does cost a bit more.
Arielle View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 1:08am
Acid washes firm up the cuticle to give the appearance of a shinier hair shaft.   I don't think it necessarily weakens the hair to a noticeable extent the way bases do.  All hair recontructors and clarifying shampoos are acidic in nature, which restores rigidity and shine.  The amino proteins that the hair is made of natural exist in a slightly acidic state anyway, you destroy/reset alot of those disulfide bonds by introducing a base to deprotonate the available hydrogens.
chuladi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2006 at 11:39am
Quote Acid washes firm up the cuticle to give the appearance of a shinier hair shaft.   I don't think it necessarily weakens the hair to a noticeable extent the way bases do.  All hair recontructors and clarifying shampoos are acidic in nature, which restores rigidity and shine.  The amino proteins that the hair is made of natural exist in a slightly acidic state anyway, you destroy/reset alot of those disulfide bonds by introducing a base to deprotonate the available hydrogens.

You're right, on a chemical level. However, with processing hair, the acids that are used are much stronger and they are used to remove the cuticle so that they don't have to keep the hair aligned from root to tip. Also, removing the cuticle allows them to use hairs that have not been kept aligned since they were removed from the donor's head.
moco View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 17 2006 at 4:57pm
Hi there,

my name is michelle im from england and i just ordered a lace wig from the us but im having some problems with it.

The ad said yaki but it looks silky as hell, every strand is dead straight.
So I permed it with tight rods with some weak perm by schwarzekoff, but it didnt do much.

Now its just really wavy which i kinda regret now. Maybe I can loosen the curl somehow with another chemical maybe?

Anyway, What kind of acid can i use to make it resemble yaki texture.
Lemon juice?
Hair ViVi
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic