Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
IndianHairCompany.com

Why Do Poor People Waste money on Luxury Goods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Perfect Hair Collection

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 11:26am
I get that I just don't understand how we're always dancing in the margins on this issue.  Our expectations of poor people is extremely high while our expectations of the powerful seem non-existent. 

Poor people for the most part spend their money on housing expenses (food, shelter, household, gas, etc) anyway but we're worried about those infrequent extravagant purchases creating corporate owned government and bigger business?  

Seriously, we in the middle class are the economy.  Poor people just work here (or not)LOL
Sponsored Links

noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 11:44am
i hear you fox. i'm not giving the big corporations a pass, what i am doing is arguing the importance of taking personal responsibility over the things we DO have power over. 

the property value in poor neighborhoods are worthless (for example) because we spend our money on the other side of town, pumping our tax dollars into building their infrastructure, renovating their schools, revitalizing their neighborhoods.

i could give a million different examples of how we give away our power and cry foul when it bites us in the ass. this perpetual victim sh*t is getting played out imo. 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 11:51am
Originally posted by noneyons noneyons wrote:

i could give a million different examples of how we give away our power and cry foul when it bites us in the ass. this perpetual victim sh*t is getting played out imo. 

Will you? Its worth discussing one or two examples that apply.  If you're speaking "black people" I can probably give several myself but when speaking strictly poor (and black I guess) I struggle to see their significant contribution to the machine.

I'm not of the mind that poor = black or vice versa but within the statistics blacks are disproportionate yes.
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 11:54am
lets start with the one example i gave since it probably has the biggest impact in the economic disparity between the haves and have nots. 
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:10pm

http://www.blackeconomicdevelopment.com/black-buying-power-increases-but-circulation-of-dollar-within-community-remains-low/ 

recently released data reports black buying power has increased from $957.3 billion in 2010 to an expected $1.1 trillion by 2015. Although this data from the State of the African-American Consumer Report reflects a positive growth in blacks’ disposable income, the growing failure of blacks to do significant business with other blacks casts a dark shadow over the news.

Money circulates zero to one time within the black community, compared to the more than six times it circulates in the Latino community, nine times in the Asian community and unlimited amount of times within the white community, according to the University of Georgia’s Selig Center for Economic Growth.

kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:14pm

the property value in poor neighborhoods are worthless (for example) because we spend our money on the other side of town, pumping our tax dollars into building their infrastructure, renovating their schools, revitalizing their neighborhoods.

I think you mean this one?

Poor people in particular have low access to the better shops etc.   I was really pissed when a main grocery store in the hood closed because the distance to the other stores was pretty far where this one was in walking distance.   A new chain bought the building and re-opened like a year later.   When I went there one night to grad a few things I noticed that the price of the same items at same chain were DOUBLE the price in my neighborhood.  I was sooooooo pissed.  

So you think they should be spending locally?   I agree with that but at least where I am I see the prices, quality and availability of things is different. 

I can't speak for everyone but its funny to me that the poorest people I know, know the price of EVERYTHING.  My SILs (a couple of them) go to specific places for specific items based on cost.  I be in the store like its only $.50 more and they say fck that, I'm on a fixed income, you're notOuch 

I think about gas money though.  Easier for me to take them to the place down the street from where they liveConfused

I do it, I'm just sayingLOL

But agreed.  Ideally it would be great if poor people shopped in their neighborhood only.  The local store owners live in the suburbs though. 
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:16pm
I just saw what you posted.  Yes!   Latinos and Chinese bring the products into the neighborhood that they want/need.  Blacks only seem to open hair supply and restaurants. 
noneyons View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote noneyons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:37pm
i understand where you're coming from cherry and foxx. 

i can totally relate to our innate desire to protect the dignity of poor (black) people since systematic inequality effects us all in one way or another but we've become a race of enablers. so much so that we're afraid to hold each other accountable and have honest discourse about how we contribute to our own destruction. 

i'm starting to lose hope tbh.
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:57pm

i understand where you're coming from cherry and foxx. 

i can totally relate to our innate desire to protect the dignity of poor (black) people since systematic inequality effects us all in one way or another but we've become a race of enablers. so much so that we're afraid to hold each other accountable and have honest discourse about how we contribute to our own destruction. 

Preach!

I'm not one to discount macro level influences (structural inequality in education, law, opportunity, jobs, housing, etc). But some of this we are doing to ourselves.

Micro level choices matter...but when you ask people to
-not have kids
-get smaller apt/house
-bike, use public transportation, walk, get a smaller used car
-not have cable, internet, and a cell phone with a full data package
-comparison shop, use coupons, etc
-use the library for entertainment
-study hard, get good grades, and live at home or live poor in order to get through college debt free

...folks act like you're asking for the impossible. I'm not so worried about the luxury items. It's the reoccurring necessary bills that people need to cut as much as possible. People act like "bills" are just a fact of life and they can't control how much they spend or how much they have left over, but that's just not true.

And what people spend their money on directly affects everyone else because when others spend instead of save then it affects all of us when their homes are foreclosed or they have to use tax supported government programs.
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 1:09pm

I don't understand this.   We can point out the problems all day but what should we be doing?  You want to hold poor blacks accountable right?  What makes you think nobody does?   The majority of BHM does this flawlessly.  How can you possibly lose hope when the majority of black and white people feel that being a poor black person is your own fault.  What's left to be done?  What are the steps that need to be taken by poor blacks to overcome the hopelessness of institutional racism and generational poverty, the ghetto, the hood?   What can they do after holding themselves more accountable for how they spend their money.  What is the next black power move for the impoverished? 

I'm not talking about me and you and most of BHM because we already have all of the answers, I'm talking about those who are statistically poor?  Trust and believe they already take a lot of accountability and feel really bad about themselves so are they passing up on good schools and good options that are readily available to them? 

What is the message we should be giving them?  Is it "Shame on you".  I think we've got that covered.  What else???   

I think you are specifically talking about blacks regardless of income level.  Since I am only speaking of the impoverished I think we're talking in circles nowLOL

Those of us who are NOT living in poverty have a lot of work to do, no excuses.  Most won't even take a few minutes to understand where we came from because they are very focused on assimilation.  Whole, notha, story. 
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Double Leaf Wig
EvaWigs
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
  Share Topic