Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why Do Poor People "Waste" money on Luxury Goods
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why Do Poor People "Waste" money on Luxury Goods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 18>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

Very disturbing but I think this phenomenon is more of an institutionalized mind-set than many want to admit. I think because many "poor" are minorities, their behaviors mimic a sociology theory called: cultural deficiency theory

The theory defers that culture attributes or practices often associated with historically disenfranchised racial/ethnic groups (specifically, blacks and Latinos) have prevented them from assimilating and attaining social mobility within U.S. society. Examples of cultural deficiencies include:

limited outlooks and attitudes toward the future

failure to internalize the work ethic,

instant gratification behavior

lack of parent involvement in schools

low intellectual abilities

emphasis on masculinity and honor

Those two things(highlighted) IMO attribute to the desperation many poor (especially minorities feel)...

If you're living in rent subsidized housing, it is a daunting task to set long term goals to get out of that situation, but it's much easier to get your hands on $200 and buy a fresh pair of Jordan’s, which will temporarily relieve the pressures of living in your circumstance...

this reminds me of a test  a woman did, i think she was white to.  She went to the hood and offered kids to choices, they could get 10 dollars now or come back to where she was and get more money.  Most of the kids chose to get the 10 dollars
I wouldn't go with a yt woman offering me money to come to her home either. Bish I don't know you, gimme that cash now.LOL
Sponsored Links

newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I rather spend $50 on some bomb ass foundation than bar drinks.....
Have you tried Marc Jacobs Genius Gel or YSL Touche Eclat foundation? Both are my new holy grail knocked my MUFE HD on it's ass.

Word?  i've been looking for a new foundation.  My MUFE has been sliding off my face lately.  I might have to roll thru sephora see if I can get a sample or summin'.

as far as the topic.  I feel alot of people touched on valid reasons.  I do feel that this ....is emotionally based.  When I feel bad or stressed I eat or shop.  It's so hard to get out of that...especially if you feel your never going to come out of poverty anyway no matter how much u save.   I've heard folks on my job talk about the bit of change they have after some bills are paid...and now with the new Health Care...alot of them feel they are being taken to the cleaners even more and don't know what they are gonna do. Save what?

Edited by newdiva1 - Nov 11 2013 at 10:38pm
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 10:31pm
Lmaoo it wasn't her home. Damn I'm trying to find it. She stood on a street corner lml damn cc as I type it does sound sus
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 10:37pm
^lol I understand.

...did she travel in an old beat down van too?LOL
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 11:54pm
Too much *&%^$#@Eedupedness in one thread.
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:32am
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Originally posted by stardaqueenb23 stardaqueenb23 wrote:

Originally posted by mizzsandra00 mizzsandra00 wrote:

I rather spend $50 on some bomb ass foundation than bar drinks.....
Have you tried Marc Jacobs Genius Gel or YSL Touche Eclat foundation? Both are my new holy grail knocked my MUFE HD on it's ass.

Word?  i've been looking for a new foundation.  My MUFE has been sliding off my face lately.  I might have to roll thru sephora see if I can get a sample or summin'.

as far as the topic.  I feel alot of people touched on valid reasons.  I do feel that this ....is emotionally based.  When I feel bad or stressed I eat or shop.  It's so hard to get out of that...especially if you feel your never going to come out of poverty anyway no matter how much u save.   I've heard folks on my job talk about the bit of change they have after some bills are paid...and now with the new Health Care...alot of them feel they are being taken to the cleaners even more and don't know what they are gonna do. Save what?

I'm eyeing the Marc J one. The YSL concealer to not the foundation......
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 12:34am
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Whats all this hogwash about spending your own money at the bar

Girl I was finna say.....I'm already tipsy hen I hit the door the bewbs do the rest
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 7:16am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

i know its subjective.. 
i know I'm not like poverty poor.. 

but I'm not like wealthy and imo anything most.. under wealthy is poor.. there are just diff levels of poorness. 
50k a year for a household or somethin like that is what they call middle class right..? theres not much if any financial freedom.. nothin but restrictions.. poor. 
correct me if I'm wrong about the middle class income. 
btw.. i know most won't agree with me.. but thats just the way i see it. 
edited. 

50k a household is not middle class
Merin View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Merin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 7:27am
That was an excellent article. The title made me think it was going to go one way but reading it changed my mind.
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 12 2013 at 7:39am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

50k a household is not middle class

okay. 
you're in research so you'd probably know.. 

these places said it was around there.. its not upper middle class but according to different sources in some of these links, many studies say its middle class. (some put it on the lower end, some don't.. some go down to 35k) 

(not the most credible typically.. but their source is msnbc) 

eta, of course it depends on where you live.. but i think most places say its around 40-70k.

Edited by coconess - Nov 12 2013 at 8:22am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System