Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Why Do Poor People Waste money on Luxury Goods

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
FarrahTheLibra View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote FarrahTheLibra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 7:40pm
Instant gratification. 

Sponsored Links

JamCaygirl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote JamCaygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 8:37pm
Yup its instant gratification... its like when I've had a crappy day I instinctively go to eat something naughty, because I think it will make me feel better....

I try not to judge poorer folks spending habits, but when they tell you they spent their tax refund on a wide screen TV but they need to borrow money to pay their rent, its kind of hard.

I got judged for driving a 1996 car though I could afford a better one, by the same people asking how I could afford to take 4 trips a year... Well when I dont have your $450 car payment, what do you think...
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Whats all this hogwash about spending your own money at the bar

not everyone rocks a pair of tits like those
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 8:48pm
Travelling is pointless and worthless if you're starving yourself or denying yourself basic necessities or not saving enough

It's a waste of money too

It's about context
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 8:57pm
everybody has their poison.. 

i love traveling, nice clothes, nice drinks, nice everything… 
and I'm poor 

Edited by coconess - Nov 11 2013 at 9:28pm
coconess View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coconess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 9:08pm
i know its subjective.. 
i know I'm not like poverty poor.. 

but I'm not like wealthy and imo anything most.. under wealthy is poor.. there are just diff levels of poorness. 
50k a year for a household or somethin like that is what they call middle class right..? theres not much if any financial freedom.. nothin but restrictions.. poor. 
correct me if I'm wrong about the middle class income. 
btw.. i know most won't agree with me.. but thats just the way i see it. 
edited. 

Edited by coconess - Nov 11 2013 at 9:21pm
HaitianDiva64 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote HaitianDiva64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

Very disturbing but I think this phenomenon is more of an institutionalized mind-set than many want to admit. I think because many "poor" are minorities, their behaviors mimic a sociology theory called: cultural deficiency theory

The theory defers that culture attributes or practices often associated with historically disenfranchised racial/ethnic groups (specifically, blacks and Latinos) have prevented them from assimilating and attaining social mobility within U.S. society. Examples of cultural deficiencies include:

limited outlooks and attitudes toward the future

failure to internalize the work ethic,

instant gratification behavior

lack of parent involvement in schools

low intellectual abilities

emphasis on masculinity and honor

Those two things(highlighted) IMO attribute to the desperation many poor (especially minorities feel)...

If you're living in rent subsidized housing, it is a daunting task to set long term goals to get out of that situation, but it's much easier to get your hands on $200 and buy a fresh pair of Jordan’s, which will temporarily relieve the pressures of living in your circumstance...

this reminds me of a test  a woman did, i think she was white to.  She went to the hood and offered kids to choices, they could get 10 dollars now or come back to where she was and get more money.  Most of the kids chose to get the 10 dollars
oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oh_so_moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

Them Atlanta lights in this Atlanta life. Smh.

Reminds me of a story.... I think I'll make a thread.

ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

i rather spend the money on traveling

this! this! this!

carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 11 2013 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by HaitianDiva64 HaitianDiva64 wrote:

Originally posted by Jewelsnyc Jewelsnyc wrote:

Very disturbing but I think this phenomenon is more of an institutionalized mind-set than many want to admit. I think because many "poor" are minorities, their behaviors mimic a sociology theory called: cultural deficiency theory

The theory defers that culture attributes or practices often associated with historically disenfranchised racial/ethnic groups (specifically, blacks and Latinos) have prevented them from assimilating and attaining social mobility within U.S. society. Examples of cultural deficiencies include:

limited outlooks and attitudes toward the future

failure to internalize the work ethic,

instant gratification behavior

lack of parent involvement in schools

low intellectual abilities

emphasis on masculinity and honor

Those two things(highlighted) IMO attribute to the desperation many poor (especially minorities feel)...

If you're living in rent subsidized housing, it is a daunting task to set long term goals to get out of that situation, but it's much easier to get your hands on $200 and buy a fresh pair of Jordan’s, which will temporarily relieve the pressures of living in your circumstance...

this reminds me of a test  a woman did, i think she was white to.  She went to the hood and offered kids to choices, they could get 10 dollars now or come back to where she was and get more money.  Most of the kids chose to get the 10 dollars
I wouldn't go with a yt woman offering me money to come to her home either. Bish I don't know you, gimme that cash now.LOL
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 16>
  Share Topic