Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do people say African-American hair...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:38pm
you do realize african american is different from saying american, right? you can plainly say african because that's your nationality, it's different in america. no one originated here (except the indigenous). it'd make more sense if you argued why we don't just say american, and not use a prefix. 

and where did you hear that if you have any other ancestry it's more likely comes from europeans whether you're african or african american? I've never heard this before or observed this before.  you do know that people are mixing everyday in america? asian, indian, hispanic, whites, blacks, etc. we're not just talking about the mixtures left over from slave times. and it's not very common to see an african american mixed with asian. 

in your original post you said that why are we desperate to attach native american? my point is, if someone had a memorable native american ancestor, why shouldn't they say it? that's what being part native means. you still haven't addresses this. it also seems that you're unaware with how race works. someone can't look mixed unless they are mixed. race and the traits associated with them doesn't really work in percentages.

but ugh, nevermind. let's just forget it. my point is obviously just going to continued to be ignored. if you're african american, and you're mixed with something else, it looks like you have to say you're only of african descent. 

Edited by yahya - Feb 01 2013 at 11:42pm
Sponsored Links

Yumyum28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yumyum28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

I understand what you mean. I've never heard someone say african caribbean or african trinidadian, or african british... it's either black, african, or african american. and black is more politically incorrect. 

Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

I just checked up the definition of kinky and yea it means curly. Funny, I always thought it just meant it has kinks. (This actually brings up another question: Why is one of the hair types described as kinky curly then? Isn't that just redundant? Oh well. Let's save that for another day) There was an Indian girl in my class once who had mostly straight hair but the front left side was really raggedy so she always slicked it back. One day she decided to get bangs. When she came to class they were always smooth on one side but the other side looked like she slept on it. So we asked her what was wrong with her hair and she said "my hair's just kinky in front" "Kinky?" "Yeah, look at all the kinks!" And indeed, her hair had really awkward bends in it although it was mostly straight. Not waves, actual bends and twists. She didn't like straightening her hair and said it didn't make much of a difference when she blow dried so she mostly just brushed it with Amla oil.

well you weren't completely wrong. even though it doesn't show up in the dictionary, when you google kinky straight hair you see wigs and stuff with similar texture to relaxed hair or blow dries kinky hair. and kinky means tightly curly hair. when you stretch out the curl you get a z rather than an s like with curly hair. kinky curly hair means in between those two textures, like type 3c. 

Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

I think people should just say "Natural Textured Hair".

That's still hard to understand, because what about people with different hair types that have their hair in their natural texture?

Originally posted by MsLamie93 MsLamie93 wrote:

Originally posted by AnnaAari AnnaAari wrote:

Take me for example, I am of an African background, but I am also Native American, Irish, and Asian. 

Lol there is no difference most African americans have very little white or 'native american' in them. Why are americans so desperate to attach native american to their ancestry? There is no such thing as 100% African, my parents are from Ghana my mum has type 3 hair and my skin is the same colour as some mixed race people. Africans come in a variety of shades and have a variety of hair textures and types.

umm... so even though she is part native, irish, and asian, she shouldn't claim it because she's mostly african? that doesn't make sense. most africans are mixed, but not mixed with the same things, there's no shame in telling others what your mixed with. it's not like she's denying her african heritage. but she would be denying her other heritage if she denied to say what she was mixed with. africans do come in a variety of shades and hair textures, but the ones brought to america and the islands came from the same area. tribes with very dark and kinky hair. 

You didnt say this? Nobody asked for a national geographic piece. I questioned your statement because I know its not factual from the books, historical documentaries and generational info passed down through my multi cultural and very ethnically diverse family. Your later clarification was a bit more accurate..When it comes down to it, to each..his own. If you want to walk around talking bout your 1/100 Guatamalan, so be it   
MsLamie93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Yumyum28 Yumyum28 wrote:

You didnt say this? Nobody asked for a national geographic piece. I questioned your statement because I know its not factual from the books, historical documentaries and generational info passed down through my multi cultural and very ethnically diverse family. Your later clarification was a bit more accurate..When it comes down to it, to each..his own. If you want to walk around talking bout your 1/100 Guatamalan, so be it   
This is what I am saying are people. If it is within the last few generations then fine but if you are going to go as far back as the 1700s it will get too complicated. Are people going to say they are african american, german, irish, dutch, british, native american, brazilian, japanese and burmese? Hell no! She says the dark skin and kinky hair thing but look what she said just before that. Not sure how many slaves were taken to America but is she seriously saying that  a few photos is what was the millions of slaves looked like? Even within one African country you have physical differences between ethnic groups. I understand african americans are mixed due to the history but other populations around the world have been having interracial sexual relations with each other as well and will continue to do so!!
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 12:16pm

Wow. People replied a lot since I was last here. I really love healthy debates. Though I have some writing to do right now so I don't have time to read all the replies. I'll comment on one thing that caught my eye while skimming.

The political correctness thing. I guess we can't control it right? Though personally, I don't feel being called black is offensive coz sometimes there's really no other way to say it. "Dark-skinned" sounds really pretentious. If someone asked you which one of the spice girls was Mel B what would you say? "The black one". There, easy. Because you can't describe her appearance by her nationalities. If you say the English-Nevisian one, well not a lot of people even know what Nevis is.

Also, yea, I have heard a lot of people that say things like I'm 1/2 black, 1/4 german, 1/8 greek and 1/8 cherokee. I doubt there's any place in the world where they'd ask you to declare that officially. Why not just say what's on your passport if you can't derive your nationality by descent? 

KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 12:27pm
  Oh and I have a question we can answer (Like this thread needs any more questions right?), What do we call Kimora? She's not full Asian but that's the first thing you notice about her. She's equally black. But since the one thing that stands out about her is her Asian features I'd describe her by saying she's Asian/Asian looking. Is that 'politically correct'?

Edited by KunoichiNindroid - Feb 03 2013 at 12:41pm
Prairieflower1960 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prairieflower1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 12:32pm
It is somewhere between being ignorant and the political correctness thing. Although all hair has different textures, America tends to focus solely on tight curly or kinky hair as being "African-American" hair.  And yes, if you're African-American and have bone straight hair, everyone will assume that the person is "mixed"...which is totally ignorant.  Just have to face that America was born with a race issue and will continue to have race issues until the end of time.
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 1:36pm

Oh and I have a question we can answer (Like this thread needs any more questions right?), What do we call Kimora? She's not full Asian but that's the first thing you notice about her. She's equally black. But since the one thing that stands out about her is her Asian features I'd describe her by saying she's Asian/Asian looking. Is that 'politically correct'?

It really gets down to how she 'identifies'.

Kimora's mother is Asian and father is Black... but she definitely  identifies as Black - though she recognized her Asian side as well.

Wheras Tiger Woods is a Black/Asian mix but he identifies as this .. odd term that I've never heard before which basicaally means .. mixed Black and Asian. I don't think he has anything to do with Black Americans though and you see all his women and friends are White. But it's his life - he's doing alright. LOL

Mariah Cary is another one that is mixed but she identifies ... as Black.

Really, I don't think it's up to us 'call' anybody anything. I try not to 'pigeonhole people based on what group I think thet belong to. That can be hard. Wink

But people have the right to 'indentify' with whichever ethnic group they relate to so I take my lead from them and move on. It really doesn't not bother me when people of color identify as  the non - black part of themselves. Often it's about their upbringing.

Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by MsLamie93 MsLamie93 wrote:

[QUOTE=Yumyum28] 
This is what I am saying are people. If it is within the last few generations then fine but if you are going to go as far back as the 1700s it will get too complicated. Are people going to say they are african american, german, irish, dutch, british, native american, brazilian, japanese and burmese? Hell no! She says the dark skin and kinky hair thing but look what she said just before that. Not sure how many slaves were taken to America but is she seriously saying that  a few photos is what was the millions of slaves looked like? Even within one African country you have physical differences between ethnic groups. I understand african americans are mixed due to the history but other populations around the world have been having interracial sexual relations with each other as well and will continue to do so!![/QUOTE]

The vast majority of slaves brought to American came from West Africa. Places like Ghana, Senegal and The Ivory Coast and those people are very dark skinned and do have very kinky hair.

No problem with it .. it's history and behind us now.

Yes, but the sticky part is that Black Americans are mixed mainly because of all the rapes during slavery. So it wasn't like they where having interacial relationships freely ... as it may have been in other countries.

(I read somewhere that after 14 generations of living in The US - virtually ALL Black Americans .. are mixed.)

Now that's the underlying issue that most Europeans don't get and that and many other things .. make the country messed up .. that's one of the reasons I finally left.
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 06 2013 at 12:19pm
... I never said you can be 1/100 guatamalan or anything like that. I said race doesn't actually work in percentages. That is why I tried to explain that race isn't genetic, it's more like heritage. didn't I also say, "it's different if the person really doesn't know if they're mixed or what they're mixed with, but I'm not talking about that." also never said you can base one photo on an entire population, you're exaggerating my comment. my point was the african american population as a whole had darker skin back then than now. it's like only every other sentence I say is being heard. sigh. =_=

wish someone could have debated this with me properly. v_v

Edited by yahya - Feb 06 2013 at 1:15pm
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 07 2013 at 7:15pm

The political correctness thing. I guess we can't control it right? Though personally, I don't feel being called black is offensive coz sometimes there's really no other way to say it. "Dark-skinned" sounds really pretentious. If someone asked you which one of the spice girls was Mel B what would you say? "The black one". There, easy. Because you can't describe her appearance by her nationalities. If you say the English-Nevisian one, well not a lot of people even know what Nevis is.

Also, yea, I have heard a lot of people that say things like I'm 1/2 black, 1/4 german, 1/8 greek and 1/8 cherokee. I doubt there's any place in the world where they'd ask you to declare that officially. Why not just say what's on your passport if you can't derive your nationality by descent? 

"What would you say to identify Mel B from the spice girls?"  I'd probably say the african looking or african descent looking one. I agree, you can't identify her by her nationality, but also, aren't all the spice girls british? they all have the same nationality so you really can't identify them by it.  if she was the only american, you could identify her as the american one. but it is easier to identify someone by how they look like than from invisible characteristics like nationality. but also, I'd try to not generalize and just say she's black, I'd say black looking. 

"1/8 greek and 1/8 cherokee... I doubt there's any place where they'd ask you to declare that officially." I'm not even sure if it's possible to declare that officially. by saying you're a quarter or half cherokee or something, you're saying that you have a cherokee grandparent or close ancestor, may be partly influenced by the culture, and may have physical traits from that ancestor. it's not like you're actually a quarter cherokee because, again, race doesn't work in percentages. meaning, it doesn't mean you have a quarter amount of the characteristics of someone who's pure cherokee. understanding that, saying you're 1/34 of something really doesn't make sence. just say you have a cherokee ancestor, that makes more sense. 

did you mean asian/african looking? if so, that's also how I'd describe her.

Edited by yahya - Feb 08 2013 at 1:05pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System