Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why do people say African-American hair...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair
 

Why do people say African-American hair...

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream



Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
MsLamie93 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: Dec 12 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 85
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:50am
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

umm... so even though she is part native, irish, and asian, she shouldn't claim it because she's mostly african? that doesn't make sense. most africans are mixed, but not mixed with the same things, there's no shame in telling others what your mixed with. it's not like she's denying her african heritage. but she would be denying her other heritage if she denied to say what she was mixed with. africans do come in a variety of shades and hair textures, but the ones brought to america and the islands came from the same area. tribes with very dark and kinky hair. 

That means everyone is mixed and Africans and African Americans should call ourselves mixed. How far do you have to go to be able to call yourself mixed. How many white people do you know who say they they are part black? Slaves came from all over West Africa, some even came from more southern western parts. How do you know they all had extremely dark skin and kinky hair, were you there? 
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
MsLamie93 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: Dec 12 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 85
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Yumyum28 Yumyum28 wrote:

Yahya....By that logic...shouldnt everyone just call themselves mixed then? Instead of claiming a particular ethnicity? And really? They all came from the SAME tribe tho? Seriously?
There is a lot of ignorance on this thread. I'll pray for my american sisters lol.
Back to Top
Yumyum28 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 21 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Status: Offline
Points: 1804
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yumyum28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by MsLamie93 MsLamie93 wrote:


Originally posted by Yumyum28 Yumyum28 wrote:

Yahya....By that logic...shouldnt everyone just call themselves mixed then? Instead of claiming a particular ethnicity? And really? They all came from the SAME tribe tho? Seriously?

There is a lot of ignorance on this thread. I'll pray for my american sisters lol.


Back to Top
yahya View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Mar 01 2011
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1834
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 3:55pm
... I never said they came from the same tribe, I said similar tribes. the atlantic slave trade shipped the majority of their slaves from central and west africa. not from places like ethopia and other northern-eastern regions. no, I've wasn't there at the time, but I've done my reading about the slave trade and the diversity of africa. also, haven't you ever watches movies about slavery? or read books with photos? they were generally darker than how african americans are today. 

the average african american is actually about 80 percent african. they're mixed even if they don't know it. why don't people just say they're mixed instead of claiming a specific ethnicity? I don't know how to answer that question because it's too broad. not everyone claims one ethnicity and not everyone claims to be mixed. you can be mixed in so many ways, it depends on the mixture of the person. for example, if someone is mixed with 4 different things quarterly, they'd say they're mixed and specify with what. if someone is mixed 75% african and 25% something else, they're mixed but not that mixed, so they'd say they're african mixed partly with blah blah. if that person was to just say their mixed they'd give people the wrong impression and probably get accused of denying their african heritage or something, which it would sound like. but why should this same person just say they're african american and never admit they're partly mixed? isn't that a denial of their heritage still?

I have many white, indian, and hispanic friends who, when asked their ethnicity, add part african. why would you assume they wouldn't say they're part black? another denial of african heritage? I mean, it's different if the person really doesn't know if they're mixed or what they're mixed with, but I'm not talking about that. so why is it that people make a big deal about denying african heritage, but they can deny their white or other heritage? let's get more modern. 

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I really don't understand you two's thinking. I also don't appreciate unfairly being called ignorant just because I've said things you two have never heard or understand. 

Back to Top
MsLamie93 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: Dec 12 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 85
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

... I never said they came from the same tribe, I said similar tribes. the atlantic slave trade shipped the majority of their slaves from central and west africa. not from places like ethopia and other northern-eastern regions. no, I've wasn't there at the time, but I've done my reading about the slave trade and the diversity of africa. also, haven't you ever watches movies about slavery? or read books with photos? they were generally darker than how african americans are today. 

the average african american is actually about 80 percent african. they're mixed even if they don't know it. why don't people just say they're mixed instead of claiming a specific ethnicity? I don't know how to answer that question because it's too broad. not everyone claims one ethnicity and not everyone claims to be mixed. you can be mixed in so many ways, it depends on the mixture of the person. for example, if someone is mixed with 4 different things quarterly, they'd say they're mixed and specify with what. if someone is mixed 75% african and 25% something else, they're mixed but not that mixed, so they'd say they're african mixed partly with blah blah. if that person was to just say their mixed they'd give people the wrong impression and probably get accused of denying their african heritage or something, which it would sound like. but why should this same person just say they're african american and never admit they're partly mixed? isn't that a denial of their heritage still?

I have many white, indian, and hispanic friends who, when asked their ethnicity, add part african. why would you assume they wouldn't say they're part black? another denial of african heritage? I mean, it's different if the person really doesn't know if they're mixed or what they're mixed with, but I'm not talking about that. so why is it that people make a big deal about denying african heritage, but they can deny their white or other heritage? let's get more modern. 

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I really don't understand you two's thinking. I also don't appreciate unfairly being called ignorant just because I've said things you two have never heard or understand. 


I have seen photos of slaves but not a movie with a real slave. They aren't all that dark. I don't see the point in saying you are 1/32 this or that just for the sake of it. My father and I could easily call ourselves mixed because it shows but if one of my sisters did they would get laughed at, my dad is a quarter white but he never mentions it unless asked. He says he is Ghanaian and leaves it there. If someone asks I will tell them otherwise I just say I am Ghanaian raised in the UK. I don't mean to be horrible, its just something I have noticed a lot with AA online and when I have visited the States. 
Back to Top
yahya View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Mar 01 2011
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1834
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 6:11pm
ah, I see, you're seeing race as a genetic thing. I'm talking about race on a social, geographical, and cultural level, race doesn't exist genetically, it's pseudo science. but that's too much to explain right now, and I'm really tired of making things understandable right now. in short, we are one race, the human race. what we call races are actually breeds. the three breeds are: caucasian (includes middle east and india), asian (includes native indian), and african. these main breeds are a reflection of the diaspora and the different distinct adaptions of each group. grouping people as races (not meaning breeds) because of their traits is actually superficial because their genetics can have the dormant trait characterized by a different race, this is why race doesn't show genetically. the concept of race is man made (by whites during the time of much racial prejudice) which is why most of this probably doesn't make sense to you. they're many online articles that can explain better.

and when I said dark I meant the people had darker and kinkier hair than the population has now. what you consider very dark may not be what I consider very dark, that's a matter of opinion. 

looking mixed doesn't have anything to do with being mixed. you can be half white and black, but look more black or white, or completely black or white. this goes back to how race isn't genetic. and african traits tend to be more dominant, so it's not unusual for your sister to have more african-like features. you still have equal amounts of heritage from both sides. and Ghanaism is a nationality, not a race (meaning breed), so it's fine to just call himself that. when people ask me my ethnicity, I'll usually say Trinidadian American. because the majority of the population is african and indian descent, minority chinese and hispanic.  



Edited by yahya - Feb 01 2013 at 6:19pm
Back to Top
MsLamie93 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: Dec 12 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 85
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:40pm
lol the whole point of my first post was to point out to the other poster that she is not that different from africans, africans and african americans have the same hair you can get them of different types. I pointed out the native american bit because nearly every african american claims it but apparently very few have native american ancestry. If you are going to have any other ancestry it is more likely going to come from europeans whether you are african or african american. The point I made with my family even though we know we are not 100% african we call ourseleves africans and leave it at that. Some african americans never seem to leave it a just being african american.
Back to Top
yahya View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: Mar 01 2011
Location: USA
Status: Offline
Points: 1834
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 11:38pm
you do realize african american is different from saying american, right? you can plainly say african because that's your nationality, it's different in america. no one originated here (except the indigenous). it'd make more sense if you argued why we don't just say american, and not use a prefix. 

and where did you hear that if you have any other ancestry it's more likely comes from europeans whether you're african or african american? I've never heard this before or observed this before.  you do know that people are mixing everyday in america? asian, indian, hispanic, whites, blacks, etc. we're not just talking about the mixtures left over from slave times. and it's not very common to see an african american mixed with asian. 

in your original post you said that why are we desperate to attach native american? my point is, if someone had a memorable native american ancestor, why shouldn't they say it? that's what being part native means. you still haven't addresses this. it also seems that you're unaware with how race works. someone can't look mixed unless they are mixed. race and the traits associated with them doesn't really work in percentages.

but ugh, nevermind. let's just forget it. my point is obviously just going to continued to be ignored. if you're african american, and you're mixed with something else, it looks like you have to say you're only of african descent. 



Edited by yahya - Feb 01 2013 at 11:42pm
Back to Top
Yumyum28 View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 21 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Status: Offline
Points: 1804
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yumyum28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 02 2013 at 12:24am
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:




I understand what you mean. I've never heard someone say african caribbean or african trinidadian, or african british... it's either black, african, or african american. and black is more politically incorrect. 

Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

I just checked up the definition of kinky and yea it means curly. Funny, I always thought it just meant it has kinks. (This actually brings up another question: Why is one of the hair types described as kinky curly then? Isn't that just redundant? Oh well. Let's save that for another day) There was an Indian girl in my class once who had mostly straight hair but the front left side was really raggedy so she always slicked it back. One day she decided to get bangs. When she came to class they were always smooth on one side but the other side looked like she slept on it. So we asked her what was wrong with her hair and she said "my hair's just kinky in front" "Kinky?" "Yeah, look at all the kinks!" And indeed, her hair had really awkward bends in it although it was mostly straight. Not waves, actual bends and twists. She didn't like straightening her hair and said it didn't make much of a difference when she blow dried so she mostly just brushed it with Amla oil.

well you weren't completely wrong. even though it doesn't show up in the dictionary, when you google kinky straight hair you see wigs and stuff with similar texture to relaxed hair or blow dries kinky hair. and kinky means tightly curly hair. when you stretch out the curl you get a z rather than an s like with curly hair. kinky curly hair means in between those two textures, like type 3c. 


Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

I think people should just say "Natural Textured Hair".



That's still hard to understand, because what about people with different hair types that have their hair in their natural texture?

Originally posted by MsLamie93 MsLamie93 wrote:

Originally posted by AnnaAari AnnaAari wrote:

 Take me for example, I am of an African background, but I am also Native American, Irish, and Asian. 

Lol there is no difference most African americans have very little white or 'native american' in them. Why are americans so desperate to attach native american to their ancestry? There is no such thing as 100% African, my parents are from Ghana my mum has type 3 hair and my skin is the same colour as some mixed race people. Africans come in a variety of shades and have a variety of hair textures and types.

umm... so even though she is part native, irish, and asian, she shouldn't claim it because she's mostly african? that doesn't make sense. most africans are mixed, but not mixed with the same things, there's no shame in telling others what your mixed with. it's not like she's denying her african heritage. but she would be denying her other heritage if she denied to say what she was mixed with. africans do come in a variety of shades and hair textures, but the ones brought to america and the islands came from the same area. tribes with very dark and kinky hair. 







You didnt say this? Nobody asked for a national geographic piece. I questioned your statement because I know its not factual from the books, historical documentaries and generational info passed down through my multi cultural and very ethnically diverse family. Your later clarification was a bit more accurate..When it comes down to it, to each..his own. If you want to walk around talking bout your 1/100 Guatamalan, so be it   
Back to Top
MsLamie93 View Drop Down
New Member
New Member


Joined: Dec 12 2012
Location: United Kingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 85
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Yumyum28 Yumyum28 wrote:

 
You didnt say this? Nobody asked for a national geographic piece. I questioned your statement because I know its not factual from the books, historical documentaries and generational info passed down through my multi cultural and very ethnically diverse family. Your later clarification was a bit more accurate..When it comes down to it, to each..his own. If you want to walk around talking bout your 1/100 Guatamalan, so be it   
This is what I am saying are people. If it is within the last few generations then fine but if you are going to go as far back as the 1700s it will get too complicated. Are people going to say they are african american, german, irish, dutch, british, native american, brazilian, japanese and burmese? Hell no! She says the dark skin and kinky hair thing but look what she said just before that. Not sure how many slaves were taken to America but is she seriously saying that  a few photos is what was the millions of slaves looked like? Even within one African country you have physical differences between ethnic groups. I understand african americans are mixed due to the history but other populations around the world have been having interracial sexual relations with each other as well and will continue to do so!!
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down