Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do people say African-American hair...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

I just checked up the definition of kinky and yea it means curly. Funny, I always thought it just meant it has kinks. (This actually brings up another question: Why is one of the hair types described as kinky curly then? Isn't that just redundant? Oh well. Let's save that for another day) There was an Indian girl in my class once who had mostly straight hair but the front left side was really raggedy so she always slicked it back. One day she decided to get bangs. When she came to class they were always smooth on one side but the other side looked like she slept on it. So we asked her what was wrong with her hair and she said "my hair's just kinky in front" "Kinky?" "Yeah, look at all the kinks!" And indeed, her hair had really awkward bends in it although it was mostly straight. Not waves, actual bends and twists. She didn't like straightening her hair and said it didn't make much of a difference when she blow dried so she mostly just brushed it with Amla oil.

Kinky is tightly curled, so kinky curly probably refers to hair that is more kinky than curls (as is looser curls) because there is also the term curly kinky. 

Originally posted by Printer_Ink Printer_Ink wrote:

I think you are splitting hairs (pardon the pun).Embarrassed You are from Zambia .. but obviously when people speak of African-American hair .. 9 times out of 10 whoever is speaking is speaking to an American audience. That's all.
I doubt that someone in Zambia is writing a book or whatever and is referring to 4 b/c hair as AA hair.

Even if they are speaking to an American audience using the "African American" in front of Hair is describing the hair to be African American. Hair cannot be African American.

If you ask them if they wrote this article for only black Americans, I'm sure they would say no. They just wanted to be politically correct (don't understand how the term is politically correct though). People even call black people who are not American, African-American. Is it because they think they're American or because they're only thinking about America? No. It's because they want to be PC and that's the only PC term they know to describe black people.

I don't know who you were replying to, but obviously someone writing a book about 4 b/c hair isn't going to use the term AA. They do not use that term. According to your logic, they would call it Zambian hair. 
Sponsored Links

yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 11:06pm
I understand what you mean. I've never heard someone say african caribbean or african trinidadian, or african british... it's either black, african, or african american. and black is more politically incorrect. 

Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

I just checked up the definition of kinky and yea it means curly. Funny, I always thought it just meant it has kinks. (This actually brings up another question: Why is one of the hair types described as kinky curly then? Isn't that just redundant? Oh well. Let's save that for another day) There was an Indian girl in my class once who had mostly straight hair but the front left side was really raggedy so she always slicked it back. One day she decided to get bangs. When she came to class they were always smooth on one side but the other side looked like she slept on it. So we asked her what was wrong with her hair and she said "my hair's just kinky in front" "Kinky?" "Yeah, look at all the kinks!" And indeed, her hair had really awkward bends in it although it was mostly straight. Not waves, actual bends and twists. She didn't like straightening her hair and said it didn't make much of a difference when she blow dried so she mostly just brushed it with Amla oil.

well you weren't completely wrong. even though it doesn't show up in the dictionary, when you google kinky straight hair you see wigs and stuff with similar texture to relaxed hair or blow dries kinky hair. and kinky means tightly curly hair. when you stretch out the curl you get a z rather than an s like with curly hair. kinky curly hair means in between those two textures, like type 3c. 

Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

I think people should just say "Natural Textured Hair".

That's still hard to understand, because what about people with different hair types that have their hair in their natural texture?

Originally posted by MsLamie93 MsLamie93 wrote:

Originally posted by AnnaAari AnnaAari wrote:

Take me for example, I am of an African background, but I am also Native American, Irish, and Asian. 

Lol there is no difference most African americans have very little white or 'native american' in them. Why are americans so desperate to attach native american to their ancestry? There is no such thing as 100% African, my parents are from Ghana my mum has type 3 hair and my skin is the same colour as some mixed race people. Africans come in a variety of shades and have a variety of hair textures and types.

umm... so even though she is part native, irish, and asian, she shouldn't claim it because she's mostly african? that doesn't make sense. most africans are mixed, but not mixed with the same things, there's no shame in telling others what your mixed with. it's not like she's denying her african heritage. but she would be denying her other heritage if she denied to say what she was mixed with. africans do come in a variety of shades and hair textures, but the ones brought to america and the islands came from the same area. tribes with very dark and kinky hair. 

Edited by yahya - Jan 31 2013 at 11:15pm
Yumyum28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yumyum28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 1:13am
Yahya....By that logic...shouldnt everyone just call themselves mixed then? Instead of claiming a particular ethnicity? And really? They all came from the SAME tribe tho? Seriously?

Edited by Yumyum28 - Feb 01 2013 at 1:14am
MsLamie93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:50am
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

umm... so even though she is part native, irish, and asian, she shouldn't claim it because she's mostly african? that doesn't make sense. most africans are mixed, but not mixed with the same things, there's no shame in telling others what your mixed with. it's not like she's denying her african heritage. but she would be denying her other heritage if she denied to say what she was mixed with. africans do come in a variety of shades and hair textures, but the ones brought to america and the islands came from the same area. tribes with very dark and kinky hair. 

That means everyone is mixed and Africans and African Americans should call ourselves mixed. How far do you have to go to be able to call yourself mixed. How many white people do you know who say they they are part black? Slaves came from all over West Africa, some even came from more southern western parts. How do you know they all had extremely dark skin and kinky hair, were you there? 
MsLamie93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 5:51am
Originally posted by Yumyum28 Yumyum28 wrote:

Yahya....By that logic...shouldnt everyone just call themselves mixed then? Instead of claiming a particular ethnicity? And really? They all came from the SAME tribe tho? Seriously?
There is a lot of ignorance on this thread. I'll pray for my american sisters lol.
Yumyum28 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yumyum28 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:51am
Originally posted by MsLamie93 MsLamie93 wrote:

Originally posted by Yumyum28 Yumyum28 wrote:

There is a lot of ignorance on this thread. I'll pray for my american sisters lol.

yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 3:55pm
... I never said they came from the same tribe, I said similar tribes. the atlantic slave trade shipped the majority of their slaves from central and west africa. not from places like ethopia and other northern-eastern regions. no, I've wasn't there at the time, but I've done my reading about the slave trade and the diversity of africa. also, haven't you ever watches movies about slavery? or read books with photos? they were generally darker than how african americans are today. 

the average african american is actually about 80 percent african. they're mixed even if they don't know it. why don't people just say they're mixed instead of claiming a specific ethnicity? I don't know how to answer that question because it's too broad. not everyone claims one ethnicity and not everyone claims to be mixed. you can be mixed in so many ways, it depends on the mixture of the person. for example, if someone is mixed with 4 different things quarterly, they'd say they're mixed and specify with what. if someone is mixed 75% african and 25% something else, they're mixed but not that mixed, so they'd say they're african mixed partly with blah blah. if that person was to just say their mixed they'd give people the wrong impression and probably get accused of denying their african heritage or something, which it would sound like. but why should this same person just say they're african american and never admit they're partly mixed? isn't that a denial of their heritage still?

I have many white, indian, and hispanic friends who, when asked their ethnicity, add part african. why would you assume they wouldn't say they're part black? another denial of african heritage? I mean, it's different if the person really doesn't know if they're mixed or what they're mixed with, but I'm not talking about that. so why is it that people make a big deal about denying african heritage, but they can deny their white or other heritage? let's get more modern. 

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I really don't understand you two's thinking. I also don't appreciate unfairly being called ignorant just because I've said things you two have never heard or understand. 

MsLamie93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by yahya yahya wrote:

... I never said they came from the same tribe, I said similar tribes. the atlantic slave trade shipped the majority of their slaves from central and west africa. not from places like ethopia and other northern-eastern regions. no, I've wasn't there at the time, but I've done my reading about the slave trade and the diversity of africa. also, haven't you ever watches movies about slavery? or read books with photos? they were generally darker than how african americans are today. 

the average african american is actually about 80 percent african. they're mixed even if they don't know it. why don't people just say they're mixed instead of claiming a specific ethnicity? I don't know how to answer that question because it's too broad. not everyone claims one ethnicity and not everyone claims to be mixed. you can be mixed in so many ways, it depends on the mixture of the person. for example, if someone is mixed with 4 different things quarterly, they'd say they're mixed and specify with what. if someone is mixed 75% african and 25% something else, they're mixed but not that mixed, so they'd say they're african mixed partly with blah blah. if that person was to just say their mixed they'd give people the wrong impression and probably get accused of denying their african heritage or something, which it would sound like. but why should this same person just say they're african american and never admit they're partly mixed? isn't that a denial of their heritage still?

I have many white, indian, and hispanic friends who, when asked their ethnicity, add part african. why would you assume they wouldn't say they're part black? another denial of african heritage? I mean, it's different if the person really doesn't know if they're mixed or what they're mixed with, but I'm not talking about that. so why is it that people make a big deal about denying african heritage, but they can deny their white or other heritage? let's get more modern. 

I'm not trying to start an argument, but I really don't understand you two's thinking. I also don't appreciate unfairly being called ignorant just because I've said things you two have never heard or understand. 

I have seen photos of slaves but not a movie with a real slave. They aren't all that dark. I don't see the point in saying you are 1/32 this or that just for the sake of it. My father and I could easily call ourselves mixed because it shows but if one of my sisters did they would get laughed at, my dad is a quarter white but he never mentions it unless asked. He says he is Ghanaian and leaves it there. If someone asks I will tell them otherwise I just say I am Ghanaian raised in the UK. I don't mean to be horrible, its just something I have noticed a lot with AA online and when I have visited the States. 
yahya View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yahya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 6:11pm
ah, I see, you're seeing race as a genetic thing. I'm talking about race on a social, geographical, and cultural level, race doesn't exist genetically, it's pseudo science. but that's too much to explain right now, and I'm really tired of making things understandable right now. in short, we are one race, the human race. what we call races are actually breeds. the three breeds are: caucasian (includes middle east and india), asian (includes native indian), and african. these main breeds are a reflection of the diaspora and the different distinct adaptions of each group. grouping people as races (not meaning breeds) because of their traits is actually superficial because their genetics can have the dormant trait characterized by a different race, this is why race doesn't show genetically. the concept of race is man made (by whites during the time of much racial prejudice) which is why most of this probably doesn't make sense to you. they're many online articles that can explain better.

and when I said dark I meant the people had darker and kinkier hair than the population has now. what you consider very dark may not be what I consider very dark, that's a matter of opinion. 

looking mixed doesn't have anything to do with being mixed. you can be half white and black, but look more black or white, or completely black or white. this goes back to how race isn't genetic. and african traits tend to be more dominant, so it's not unusual for your sister to have more african-like features. you still have equal amounts of heritage from both sides. and Ghanaism is a nationality, not a race (meaning breed), so it's fine to just call himself that. when people ask me my ethnicity, I'll usually say Trinidadian American. because the majority of the population is african and indian descent, minority chinese and hispanic.  

Edited by yahya - Feb 01 2013 at 6:19pm
MsLamie93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 01 2013 at 8:40pm
lol the whole point of my first post was to point out to the other poster that she is not that different from africans, africans and african americans have the same hair you can get them of different types. I pointed out the native american bit because nearly every african american claims it but apparently very few have native american ancestry. If you are going to have any other ancestry it is more likely going to come from europeans whether you are african or african american. The point I made with my family even though we know we are not 100% african we call ourseleves africans and leave it at that. Some african americans never seem to leave it a just being african american.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>