Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why do people say African-American hair...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 9:43am
Not all Africans have the same hair type
Sponsored Links

lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 30 2013 at 7:52pm
Originally posted by AnnaAari AnnaAari wrote:

The reason people say African American Hair, versus African Hair, is because most people who are considered colored or black are not completely (%100) African. They didn't come straight from Africa, they are mixed with something other than that. Take me for example, I am of an African background, but I am also Native American, Irish, and Asian. I have African 'American' hair because I am not %100 African. I had a friend who is %100 African, Zainab, she on the other hand does have African hair. See the difference. We aren't making things harder for ourselves, we are being factually correct. If you come from Africa you most likely have African Hair, but if you are in America(or anywhere else in the world) and are mixed with something other than African you have African American Hair.

In reality all it is is Afro-textured hair. I suggest if you want to look up African hair, you look up actual tribes and groups.

For example I searched (African Mandigo Hair) and came up with this link
http://digitalgallery.nypl.orgypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?strucID=356717&ID=1112273&k=0&print=small - http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?strucID=356717&imageID=1112273&k=0&print=small

And to answer your question "If I moved to America would my hair suddenly become African-American hair?" You be the judge, are you mixed- then yes. If your not mixed- then no.

I hope I helped.

This still doesn't make sense. No one said to say African hair because not all Africans are black.
A lot of Africans who are black aren't 100% black. For instance, both my parents are African - born and raised, but I'm sure I have white somewhere in me. My dad (and his dad) is clearly not fully black.

" I have African'American' hair because I am not %100 African." this doesn't make sense. It would only make sense if you were saying you had African mixed with American hair, which still doesn't make much sense. 

The point is that the term African American just doesn't make sense in terms of hair. African hair doesn't make sense, because people in Africa can be white, and American makes no sense because you can't have American hair, unless you're saying you have Native American hair... but you can't have hair of a nationality (which does not mean race, it just means the nation you are from.)

Your explanation also doesn't make sense, because it doesn't include other people of African decent who live in places like England.

Edited by lalaLeslie - Jan 30 2013 at 7:54pm
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 2:36am

The reason people say African American Hair, versus African Hair, is because most people who are considered colored or black are not completely (%100) African. They didn't come straight from Africa, they are mixed with something other than that. Take me for example, I am of an African background, but I am also Native American, Irish, and Asian. I have African 'American' hair because I am not %100 African. I had a friend who is %100 African, Zainab, she on the other hand does have African hair. See the difference. We aren't making things harder for ourselves, we are being factually correct. If you come from Africa you most likely have African Hair, but if you are in America(or anywhere else in the world) and are mixed with something other than African you have African American Hair.

In reality all it is is Afro-textured hair. I suggest if you want to look up African hair, you look up actual tribes and groups.

http://digitalgallery.nypl.orgypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?strucID=356717&ID=1112273&k=0&print=small - http://digitalgallery.nypl.org/nypldigital/dgkeysearchdetail.cfm?strucID=356717&imageID=1112273&k=0&print=small

And to answer your question "If I moved to America would my hair suddenly become African-American hair?" You be the judge, are you mixed- then yes. If your not mixed- then no.

I hope I helped.

Initially this is what I thought, but I recall another thread (can't remember which one) where I implied that there isn't the same diversity in hair texture between Africans in Africa and African-Americans because they have more mixed races. But most of the people on the thread passionately defended the fact that you can find the same variety of hair textures in 'true' Africans. So if so, then why differentiate African and African-American hair?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 2:38am
 I think the comment on the fact that the articles originated in America is probably the most true. Sort of like how most articles about 'growing your hair natural' mean growing your hair without relaxers rather than without hair dye or any chemicals at all. Because we're the ones who write them and to us this is what it means but to people with straight hair it means something completely different. So in America 'African-American' hair, makes sense but to us outside America it sounds a lot more strange because we can't describe our hair that way. I dunno if I'm making sense. I just woke up. Lol

Edited by KunoichiNindroid - Jan 31 2013 at 2:51am

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 3:04am
I just checked up the definition of kinky and yea it means curly. Funny, I always thought it just meant it has kinks. (This actually brings up another question: Why is one of the hair types described as kinky curly then? Isn't that just redundant? Oh well. Let's save that for another day) There was an Indian girl in my class once who had mostly straight hair but the front left side was really raggedy so she always slicked it back. One day she decided to get bangs. When she came to class they were always smooth on one side but the other side looked like she slept on it. So we asked her what was wrong with her hair and she said "my hair's just kinky in front" "Kinky?" "Yeah, look at all the kinks!" And indeed, her hair had really awkward bends in it although it was mostly straight. Not waves, actual bends and twists. She didn't like straightening her hair and said it didn't make much of a difference when she blow dried so she mostly just brushed it with Amla oil.

Edited by KunoichiNindroid - Jan 31 2013 at 3:08am
chrissypoo View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissypoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 9:24am
Because African-American is just the politically correct way of saying black now regardless of origin.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 9:30am
Agreed not all Africans have the same hair. Somalians and Ethiopians have almost curly(not the kinky curly) to straight hair. Cape Verde is another place in Africa they speak Portuguese and they have straight hair like Europeans.
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 9:31am
I think people should just say "Natural Textured Hair".
Printer_Ink View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Printer_Ink Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 10:51am
I think you are splitting hairs (pardon the pun).Embarrassed You are from Zambia .. but obviously when people speak of African-American hair .. 9 times out of 10 whoever is speaking is speaking to an American audience. That's all.
I doubt that someone in Zambia is writing a book or whatever and is referring to 4 b/c hair as AA hair.

1) When people speaking of AA hair they are obviously generalizing that is is 4 b/c. This is because though most of us are mixed with whatever ... mainly our hair is 4 b.c hair. Sure there are plenty of AA people with 2b/c or 3b/c hair ... but they are 'generalizing' to make the topic understood.

2) Conversely when people talk aboit "White people's' hair .. well generally that means straight 1 b/c hair ... in general. But of course there are plenty of White people with curly hair in the range of 2 b/c or 3 b/c tough I think it would be rare to find a White person with 4 b/c hair.

I think the general 'THEY' out there are only speaking in generalities - no need to take offense and read into these things so much.

I think the term "Natural Textured Hair" is good ... but everyone is noy going to be thinking of this so much.

(Ethiopia - I've been all over and in the capital (Addis Ababa) people mainly have hair that's 3 b but in the south and in many other places in Ethiopia people have regular 4 b/c tightly coiled hair.

http://s.search.yahoo.com/search/s;_ylt=A0PDoQ2NowpRL0UASdeJzbkF?p=the+people+of+ethiopia&fr=yfp-t-701&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search - http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images;_ylt=A0PDoQ2NowpRL0UASdeJzbkF?p=the+people+of+ethiopia&fr=yfp-t-701&ei=utf-8&n=30&x=wrt&y=Search  )

Edited by Printer_Ink - Jan 31 2013 at 11:05am
MsLamie93 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLamie93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 31 2013 at 6:08pm

I hope I helped.

Lol there is no difference most African americans have very little white or 'native american' in them. Why are americans so desperate to attach native american to their ancestry? There is no such thing as 100% African, my parents are from Ghana my mum has type 3 hair and my skin is the same colour as some mixed race people. Africans come in a variety of shades and have a variety of hair textures and types.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>