Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

WHY DO BLACK WOMEN PAT THEIR HEADS?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
mstinycurls View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstinycurls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: WHY DO BLACK WOMEN PAT THEIR HEADS?
    Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 12:42am

Ok...Here we go.

I had this white guy at work ask me why do so many black women pat their heads?  He was serious, he wasn't being funny.  I was caught off guard at first and was like.."What?" and then it hit me.  I burst out laughing when I realized what he meant.  Well, I gave him a short explanation and he was like.."oh.." 
        I thought about it the rest of the day.  I have had braids put in once and a weave once in my life and never again.  I've never had a wig on my head period.  So, I don't do too much patting on my head...LOL  I used my fingers and scratch away.  I've seen black women patting their heads constantly and sometimes so much that it gets on my nerves watching them do it..Confused  That's the one thing I didn't like about the weave because sometimes I couldn't scratch the way I want to and remember actually putting a pen top to my head to scratch.  I do recall patting my head a few times..LOL 
       The one thing I like about being natural and my hair is that I can scratch my scalp with my fingers without worrying about messing up a style, preparing for a relaxer...etc.
       That patting thing does not look good.  Two things come to mind..monkey and insane person.  The both like to hit their heads with their hands.  Seriously.
Sponsored Links

breBR3bre View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breBR3bre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 12:46am

I have an aunt who stays in weaves and she does this and it wrecks my nerves. I especially hate it when she does it in public. That white man probably was thinking that all black women were some type of psychos who were beating themselves up the head, because that's exactly what the patting looks like.

LegendaryLady83 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LegendaryLady83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 2:26am
When I used to relax my hair, I would pat it around the time I needed a touch up.  I knew that if I actually scratched my head that it would burn when that relaxer was applied.

Now that I don't relax my hair anymore, I scratch my head anytime I feel like it.  I don't think I've patted my head since. 
glamrock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 2:36am
Originally posted by LegendaryLady83 LegendaryLady83 wrote:

When I used to relax my hair, I would pat it around the time I needed a touch up.  I knew that if I actually scratched my head that it would burn when that relaxer was applied.

Now that I don't relax my hair anymore, I scratch my head anytime I feel like it.  I don't think I've patted my head since. 
I agree with your theory. I rmember when hairstylists would tell people, 'Do not scratch your scalp b4 your relaxer appt, PAT IT or else you will get a scalp burns & scabs".

I dont remember ever seeing anyone in public patting away on their scalp though. Only in private when people are complaining about tight, itchy new braids or a dry scalp after a weave or hairdo.

Edited by glamrock - Jul 30 2011 at 2:38am
tammygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tammygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 2:41am
I always used to see my cousin patting her relaxed head and it never made sense to me. But I guess she didn't want to mess up her wrap. I'll pat my head if I have a ponytail or bun slicked back and I don't want to put a "hole" in my hair. And lately I've been patting my head a lot in this sew-in. I also used to pat it right before a relaxer.
kurlykiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kurlykiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 2:46am
i never EVER scratch or comb my hair in public.
DeliciouslyWeird View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeliciouslyWeird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 2:53am
They want to keep itching AND lose brain cells.
joy6899 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote joy6899 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 5:30am
i just scratch
PurplePumps View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PurplePumps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 8:16am
patting doesn't even relieve the itch.  scratch that bitch.
Lilacflower1988 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lilacflower1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 8:21am

I've done it before but nobody has seen me do it cause I do it behind closed doors LMAO!

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic