Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Why did you want to go natural

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 176177178179180 183>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
eveies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eveies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:26am
I actually JUST decided, as thirty minutes ago to go natural. I started wearing weaves last year in october and i just feel like its not me. What i have on my head is a lie and I'm tired of lying to the world about who i am. I feel like i have been influenced by family and all these people who aren't me about what makes a person beautiful. Through some reflection I have decided that god made me perfectly. I should not feel inferior when I'm in a sea of long weaves if I'm wearing my god given hair. i just finished taking out my last weave and I hid all my heat tools: blowdryer, hot comb, and all four (yes four) of my flat irons. I am ready to b me and live happy with my self and the way the good lord made me. No more listening to what others say is supposed to be beautiful. I am the way I am and the way I am supposed to be.

I just wanted to add that I have technically been natural my whole life, in that i have never had a relaxer. (so no BC for me) but what i am doing is letting go of heat and weaves. 

Edited by eveies - Nov 13 2012 at 2:33am
Sponsored Links

eveies View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eveies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:52pm
Thanks Big smile
Imalilkitten View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imalilkitten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:45am
I decided to go natural because I am tired of my flat thin relaxed hair. I have been getting relaxers for a long time and I can't even remember what my natural hair looks like. I think natural hair is beautiful and I want that back!!! My hair is a little longer than bsl and I have been wanting to go natural for a long time but my family and friends are always pressuring me keep my long hair.  saying "Don't cut your hair blah blah blah (as if hair doesn't grow)".  I have only worn some clip in tracks once in my life so I dont know anything about weave or really hair for that matter which is why I am so glad to have found this forum. I've been reading and researching like crazy and I have already learned a lot. I'm not sure if I will do the big chop yet. 
Neesha0429 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neesha0429 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 7:55am
I tried to go natural before. I was in love with all of the natural hairstyles that I saw many of my friends and celebrities wearing. At that time, my relaxed hair was in bob, so I decided to transition. I went 10 months without relaxing my hair, I mostly wore braid outs and twist outs. I was afraid of the big chop. Around the 9th month, I went through a major "shift" in life. I found myself moving and extremely busy. I didn't have time to really take care of my hair and it became a matted mess. I decided that I would try a "texture softener". Sounded harmless enough, right? I thought it would loosen the curl a little. Well I guess that I have extremely porous hair? (still learning) My hair sucked the chemical up and became straight again. :-(( So I went to my cousin, she cut it for me and relaxed it.......I started going to her salon fairly often. She would have others rinse/neutralize me when she relaxed it. One girl didn't rinse me well enough and a couple of days later, my hair started falling out. I thought that it was stress because it come coming out in clumps when I washed it. Then I noticed the pattern....it was the wash bowl pattern, only coming out from the nape area. She must have completely missed that when she was washing it. I went back to my cousin and we had to cut it all off. I actually fell in love with my short cut. Then I discovered Zumba, I quickly became addicted, eventually got licensed and pretty much sweat profusely daily LOL. It got to the point where I had to relax it far too often. I decided to transition again. Since it was already short, I figured it would be a faster process. It was, I had my last relaxer on August 3rd.....I think that even then, I knew that it would be my last one. I had what I call my "little big chop" on Saturday, when I first saw it, I was a little thrown off, but I am embracing this TWA. I love not being a slave to chemicals, flat irons, etc. I love touching my hair and feeling the tiny coils. I did it for a lot of reasons, my lifestyle (I refuse to stop sweating to make a relaxer last), I did it because I believe that our natural hair is beautiful, regardless of the type.  I did it because I felt inspired by women over the years who embraced their natural side and decided that they did not have to have sleek, straight hair to be gorgeous. Not everyone will be supportive of my look and that's okay, because at the end of the day, it's me and my love for self that truly matters. (Sorry this is so long, I am notorious for being long fonted)
MzCaliky View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MzCaliky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 3:12pm
Originally posted by Neesha0429 Neesha0429 wrote:

I tried to go natural before. I was in love with all of the natural hairstyles that I saw many of my friends and celebrities wearing. At that time, my relaxed hair was in bob, so I decided to transition. I went 10 months without relaxing my hair, I mostly wore braid outs and twist outs. I was afraid of the big chop. Around the 9th month, I went through a major "shift" in life. I found myself moving and extremely busy. I didn't have time to really take care of my hair and it became a matted mess. I decided that I would try a "texture softener". Sounded harmless enough, right? I thought it would loosen the curl a little. Well I guess that I have extremely porous hair? (still learning) My hair sucked the chemical up and became straight again. :-(( So I went to my cousin, she cut it for me and relaxed it.......I started going to her salon fairly often. She would have others rinse/neutralize me when she relaxed it. One girl didn't rinse me well enough and a couple of days later, my hair started falling out. I thought that it was stress because it come coming out in clumps when I washed it. Then I noticed the pattern....it was the wash bowl pattern, only coming out from the nape area. She must have completely missed that when she was washing it. I went back to my cousin and we had to cut it all off. I actually fell in love with my short cut. Then I discovered Zumba, I quickly became addicted, eventually got licensed and pretty much sweat profusely daily LOL. It got to the point where I had to relax it far too often. I decided to transition again. Since it was already short, I figured it would be a faster process. It was, I had my last relaxer on August 3rd.....I think that even then, I knew that it would be my last one. I had what I call my "little big chop" on Saturday, when I first saw it, I was a little thrown off, but I am embracing this TWA. I love not being a slave to chemicals, flat irons, etc. I love touching my hair and feeling the tiny coils. I did it for a lot of reasons, my lifestyle (I refuse to stop sweating to make a relaxer last), I did it because I believe that our natural hair is beautiful, regardless of the type.  I did it because I felt inspired by women over the years who embraced their natural side and decided that they did not have to have sleek, straight hair to be gorgeous. Not everyone will be supportive of my look and that's okay, because at the end of the day, it's me and my love for self that truly matters. (Sorry this is so long, I am notorious for being long fonted)

This really touched me Heart
Christian Friborg View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Christian Friborg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 8:22pm
My wife went natural not because I told her to but I think she got tired of all those chemicals they put on her hair. After all, she looks more beautiful with her natural beauty. Big smile
Redd_MastR View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Redd_MastR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 3:00pm
I went natural because I had my hair relaxed since I was three years old. Just one day, my second year of college I decided to STOP relaxing my hair completely. It was extremely damaged, short and broken to the point where I could not even flat iron it. I could never get to a hair salon like I wanted. And I knew nothing about hair maintenance.

I told myself IDK what I'm gonna do with my hair, but the relaxers had to end. And the heat. There was so much hair in the sink...

I had a girlfriend of mine twist me up one night, after seeing the results of her 2 year journey and loving it. She washed me, walked me through co-washes, the importance of moisturizing everday... December 2011 I started maintaining my natural hair. Been doing it every since .
brownhairweave View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brownhairweave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 12:10am
I think natural hair is the most beautiful hair, but my natural hair does not natural at all...
darkbarbie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkbarbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 6:50pm
because everytime i would get my glorious relaxed hair a little past sl somebody would F*CK it up with a perm....so i said FTS and stopped getting them
Elegantmary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Elegantmary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by brownhairweave brownhairweave wrote:

I think natural hair is the most beautiful hair, but my natural hair does not natural at all...
Cryagree with you. so do i...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair