BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Why did you want to go natural

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 183>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
frenchkiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchkiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by DrunkClouds DrunkClouds wrote:

Originally posted by MissCassC MissCassC wrote:

It just sucks that I have to wait so long since I want to have 12 inches of hair, I don't want a twa since I have never had hair that short and I know I wouldn't look good.

I actually think you would look cute with short hair.  I remember you said you thought you looked like a garden nome (I don't agree), but I think a short hair do would accentuate your features.

Yes that would be me lol, I do keep thinking about it soooo much trying to imagine what I would look like I don't think I have the guts to go through with it thoughConfused If I had a face like Halle Berry than yes I would be all over that hair cut but alas I do not. It is so tempting good thing I dont' have hair cutting shears in my house otherwise I would be a HAM right nowLOL I would never cut my hair with regular scissors so I know I won't be silly enough to start chopping away like at 1am while sleep deprived.

Edited to correct spelling mistakes. Also I asked one of my friends if she honestly thinks I would look good with really short hair and she said that I wouldn't look good. She doesn't know I am transitioning she doesn't know anything about black hair care. So that just reinforces that I already think, it's too bad I dont' have model looks otherwise this would be a no brainer.Ouch
I would love to see your picture to see if short really wouldnt look good on you. I used to think the same thing before I was forced to cut all my hair off (3 years ago).It was all messed up because of relaxer and dying. One day I went to a hairsalon to get a perm and my hair was falling offCry. (Idyed my relaxed hair 3 times in 1 months1/2Dead)        So I cut it very short. And when I had short hair everybody said that short hair was made for me lol!
Sponsored Links

DrunkClouds View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrunkClouds Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 8:14pm
Originally posted by lafrancaise lafrancaise wrote:

Originally posted by MissCassC MissCassC wrote:

It just sucks that I have to wait so long since I want to have 12 inches of hair, I don't want a twa since I have never had hair that short and I know I wouldn't look good.

I actually think you would look cute with short hair.  I remember you said you thought you looked like a garden nome (I don't agree), but I think a short hair do would accentuate your features.

Yes that would be me lol, I do keep thinking about it soooo much trying to imagine what I would look like I don't think I have the guts to go through with it thoughConfused If I had a face like Halle Berry than yes I would be all over that hair cut but alas I do not. It is so tempting good thing I dont' have hair cutting shears in my house otherwise I would be a HAM right nowLOL I would never cut my hair with regular scissors so I know I won't be silly enough to start chopping away like at 1am while sleep deprived.

Edited to correct spelling mistakes. Also I asked one of my friends if she honestly thinks I would look good with really short hair and she said that I wouldn't look good. She doesn't know I am transitioning she doesn't know anything about black hair care. So that just reinforces that I already think, it's too bad I dont' have model looks otherwise this would be a no brainer.Ouch
I would love to see your picture to see if short really wouldnt look good on you. I used to think the same thing before I was forced to cut all my hair off (3 years ago).It was all messed up because of relaxer and dying. One day I went to a hairsalon to get a perm and my hair was falling offCry. (Idyed my relaxed hair 3 times in 1 months1/2Dead)        So I cut it very short. And when I had short hair everybody said that short hair was made for me lol!

Hi Lafrancaise that's me in my avatar if you double click the photo will be a lot bigger also my bhm "profile" contains my myspace address. Even my aunt who is a stylist says that I am not the type that can have very short hair. So unless I am forced to have very short hair I won't do voluntarily.
Mindstarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mindstarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2007 at 12:30am
I didnt want to HAVE to get a relaxer @ 40/50/60 yrs old...Thats was my main reason....It really isnt cute anymore @ that age to have to be worrying about getting a touch-up..that is of course u STILL have hair that age...

Havent you guys notice that older women who still use relaxers usually have thin short hair...compared to those who have been natural for yrs (esp women who have dreds) usually have healthy beautiful hair....I rarely see an older women with healthy relaxed hair..(and yes I know it's normal for women's hair to get thinner as we get older, but still, my point stands)
jeve View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jeve Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2007 at 12:26pm
The word natural implies this is what came first.  I have always had natural hair, with a few attempts at perm.  It never occurred to me that Black women consider chemically relaxed hair to be the norm.  I always thought it was optional. 

I have been surprised to find so many Black women never have worn or even know how to care for their natural hair.  Maybe being 44 and growing up when afros were the rage has influenced my thinking.  But even my grandmother used to say, never get perms, it damages your hair.  Also I did not grow up in the traditional Black Church where hair care and getting dressed every Sunday was the norm. 

I firmly believe we should all be comfortable with our natural hair; i.e. know how to style it and grow it out.  I don't begrudge the perm thing, I just don't think it is mandatory.  I am a litle sad at how much the young Black women use perms and weaves.  I really think we should embrace our natural beauty. Jeve
emih19 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emih19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2007 at 2:44pm

hey mindstarted....imo i see more older woman who relax hair there hair is healthier....but i come from the caribean islands and i dont know but most of them theyve relaxed there hair so much they dont have to use it too often cus its overprocessed at the growth.

but believe me not all of them

MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCassC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2007 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by Mindstarter Mindstarter wrote:

I didnt want to HAVE to get a relaxer @ 40/50/60 yrs old...Thats was my main reason....It really isnt cute anymore @ that age to have to be worrying about getting a touch-up..that is of course u STILL have hair that age...

Havent you guys notice that older women who still use relaxers usually have thin short hair...compared to those who have been natural for yrs (esp women who have dreds) usually have healthy beautiful hair....I rarely see an older women with healthy relaxed hair..(and yes I know it's normal for women's hair to get thinner as we get older, but still, my point stands)

It really depends on the woman.  My grama is 83 and has been relaxing her hair since I can remember (so at least 24 years) and the only reason why it's short (a little bit above APL) is because she cuts it to that length.  Not only does it grow, but it's very thick.  My 60 year old aunt has been relaxing since forever and a day and has always had bsl hair.  As you get older your hair tends to thin, so it could just be thinning naturally.  It might not be the chemical.
pluperfect View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pluperfect Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2007 at 8:10pm
I wasn't a good relaxed head. I had really bad breakage in the back. About 2 years ago (before I ever heard of a hair board) I started styling "protectively" with a phony bun. Unfortunately, I was using bobby pins, which broke my hair off down to the scalp. I went to a dermatologist, and he told me I had "structurally defective hair" -- hair that grew with different thicknesses along the shaft, and was prone to breakage. He told me to leave the relaxers alone for a while, or as long as possible, and I immediately started transitioning.

I figured out later that it was the bobby pins, but I was really scared by the damage I had done, plus I wanted my hair in the back to grow out more, so I stayed natural. When my hair got too poufy to bun I braided it. I BC'd 6 weeks ago, after a year without relaxer.

I wanted to stop the damage, but I also kinda just wanted a change. As several people have said, flat relaxed hair is kind of boring, and that "seaweed" look just seems really outmoded. When relaxed hair is thick and somewhat bouncy, it can look good...but if your hair can't achieve that, it really just looks better (and is better for your hair) to be natural.
MizzB View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MizzB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2007 at 9:59pm
I had played around with the idea of going natural for a couple of years but always gave in to the relaxer. After a relaxer mishap I decided I would wait awhile. Then I was about to turn 18 and decided I wanted to do something that would represent a transition into becoming an adult so it was either get a tattoo or go natural (still considering that tattoo). I decided to go natural as a way to say I'm an adult and I've accepted myself. I never knew what my natural texture looked like cuz my hair stayed either pressed, braided, or relaxed so when my curls started showing I was excited. I love the versatility of natural hair, I love playing with my curls, and I have saved a TON of $.
Mindstarter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mindstarter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2007 at 11:41am
Well, I just feel that older women who wear their hair natural just look overall better than those who relax...It's like they seem more self-asssured, educated and full of wisdom....

I know I could be wrong and that it's just a sterotype...but that's the impression I get...I atcually get it from most women, regardless of age, who wear their hair naturally healthy...
gagirl06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gagirl06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 01 2007 at 12:27pm
Drunk Clouds, I swear this sounds exactly like my hair.  I'll start by saying that I decided to go natural because my hair was being ravaged by perms.  It was breaking so badly that I couldn't take it anymore.  I also have wash and go hair but I can't do it until the perm grows all the way out.  That's the most frustrating right now.  Half of my hair is wavy/curly, thick, and healthy.  Then there's the permed hair.  It totally ruined my curl pattern so even the permed section won't curl at all.  And when I had perms in the past I could still wear my hair curly but it's beyond the point of no return now.  So I obviously can't wear my hair natural yet unless I whack it off.  I don't want to do that, though.  I also contemplated cutting it all off a la Halle Berry but I'm a ponytail kinda girl.  I just can't do it.  I always have to have enough hair on my head to pull it back.  It's just a thing I have.  The shortest I've ever gone is a bob.

Anyway, I went five years w/o a perm and it was no joke.  My hair was seriously healthy but I didn't know what products to use and how I could straighten it, etc. so I wore it slicked back into a bun most of the time.  Now the only reason this was a problem is because I live in Georgia and the humidity is a bitch!!!!  It's unreal.  But now I'm better equipped to handle it and I think I'll be okay.  No more perms for me!  :)
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 183>
  Share Topic