BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Why did you want to go natural

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 183>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
frenchkiss View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote frenchkiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why did you want to go natural
    Posted: Feb 26 2007 at 8:24pm
I'm just curiousLOL I wanna know the reasons why u decided to go natural.

Is it because your hair was damaged?
because u just wanted to try something else?
because u think that black people shouldn't relax their hair?
because of the money u spent in hair salons/at home getting your hair permed...?

Share your storiesSmile And if you have a fotki you can put it too.

mine is in my siggy.

Edited by lafrancaise - Mar 08 2007 at 10:28pm
Sponsored Links

mstoya25 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mstoya25 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2007 at 8:53pm
I decided to go natural again because I missed my hair.  I like seeing how my curls change as my hair gets longer.  I stopped relaxing my hair not because of breakage, damage, the expense, or wanting to try something else.  Most ladies are still relaxing their hair and it all looks the same, flat,  thin, and even when its long it just falls down their backs.  I think that's what I missed about my natural hair...it grows out instead of down.  I like big hair and I like not having to use a comb, brush, flat iron, or blowdryer.  I like making my own products for my hair and I wasn't really focused on that when it was relaxed.   I like that my hair is unique, yes there are other types similar to mine, but not quite....I like what grows out of my head, even when it shrinks.  I have had long, thick relaxed hair and it was nothing special.  When my hair grows now, it just keeps changing and I am so excited to watch the progress in fotki.  I still have bad hair days like everyone else, but it only takes a little water to fix it and it doesn't take the 3-4 hours to wash and style.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchkiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2007 at 10:58pm
I feel you. I am going natural for the same reasons. But the only differncei is that I dont even remeber how my hair wasLOL. I've been relaxed for too long.
And now Im seeing the growth and I'm loving it!.

And the other main reason is that I don't think anymore that my hair wont be manageable without relaxer. I just have to get to know it and how to take care of it...a different way.

However I don't know if I can cut all my hair off Embarrassedfor now. Thats why I'm transitioning.

thanks for your reply

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote frenchkiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2007 at 11:00pm
Natural/ transitioning ladies where u at ? Common I know there is many moreSmile
emih19 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emih19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 4:49am
im transitionin...i did a lil bc last yr ......n i just need to cut 2 inches to get rid of my relaxed ends.
im goin natural cus i was fed up with my relaxer and i did transition twice already but everytime i went to the salon they would tell me i cant grow out my hair naturally cus its too dry so i really have to relax or perm it.
and then i would do what they told me.
until i was transitionin again last yr and found this site and i didnt relax more then 3 months so i said to myself ill give it a try.
and im so glad..its not that bad as i thought.
i thought my hair would be unmanagable but its so easy and i can do whatever i want with it....and i love that...i always liked to do my hair in different styles.
my hair hasnt beenthis healthy in like 2 or 3 yrs man damn.
all cus of stress and denyin my hair. but now i give it love and tender care again.hope my hair forgives me.
still have the habit to use a comb or brush.oh well it just takes small steps and im tryin.

bumpin for lafrancaise
DySsign View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DySsign Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 8:19am

For me, I know it was a combination of reasons. My hair wasn’t severly damaged with a relaxer but I could see that my hair wasn’t the same like it once was. To other people, my hair was fine, but for me, I knew that the relaxer wasn’t helping me achieve healthy hair.

Another reason is because I got tired of the straight flat hair, tired of going to the hairstylist and being disappointed with the end result, and giving my money away to someone who was ultimately damaging my hair. I would love to tell other black people to stop relaxing their hair, but I know for a lot of women that would just be a flat NO response. It does hurt me to see someone who has visible bald spots on their head, and they still continue to relax their hair. I see this, and I just don’t understand.

Overall, like some other posters said, I love my versatility, being able to have my big hair, loving to feel my texture, because yes--it is a very individual thing! It will be 3 yrs in April since my last relaxer, and I am happy with my decision. There are some bad hair days, but who doesn’t have them?!?! My mother was one of those people who desperately relied on her relaxer, and after seeing my experience, I'm happy to say she has gone natural, herself. It is contagious! I have other friends who are making the transition now….

PickledGeuse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PickledGeuse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 11:34am
.. Honestly, I didn't have the patience for relaxing anymore. It was an all day thing. Even getting my mom to help out was upsetting... just took too long..and all it did was break in the end. A big damn frustration in all. Natural hair is in this season anyway! LOL I'm kidding. It was too time consuming.. so I changed my hair ways
FickleTresses View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FickleTresses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 12:16pm
I am currently transitioning and this is my third attempt at going natural.  The first time I made it a year but after I had my baby my self esteem was shot and I didn't know how to care for my nautral hair and got lazy and let other people's opinions get to me and I ended up getting a relaxer.  The second time I got lazy again and got a texturizer that ended up straightening my hair like a perm. 
This time I'm in it for real!  I get tired of looking like everybody else!  Also, I'm tired of wearing weaves/extension to make my hair fuller and spending hours scrunching my relaxed hair to make it look curly like my natural hair!  I love big hair and I feel like a fool for getting frustrated and letting others opinions get to me. 
Now I'm starting over from scratch b/c my last perm was December 2006 and I only have about a half inch of new growth.  I miss being able to wash my hair every day, and not having to worry about my hair breaking anytime I wore it down, which was the case with my relaxed hair.  My relaxed hair is super fine, limp and virtually see-through so I usually never wear it down.  I'm hoping to have a few inches or more of new growth by late spring so I can BC and be totally natural again.  Sorry this was so long! 
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissCassC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 12:49pm
I had a relaxer for a year when I was in elementary school.  My hair broke off badly, and my mother basically made the decision that I was going to transition and have been perm free ever since.  I stay natural because I'm cheap, my hair is healthy now (if it ain't broke, don't fix it), and I have bad memories of the chemicals burning my scalp when I was 9 and seeing all my beautiful hair basically go up in flames when I was young.
giftyluv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giftyluv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2007 at 1:58pm

I finally decided to go natural yesterday. After reading so many post on here I decided I can do it with the advice and experience many of you have. My hair has not been the same since a year ago and finally yesterday I knew it was time to give up the releaxer. My hair was always thick and lately its loosing its thickness and health. I rather my hair be natural, thick and healthy rather than relaxed, thin and unhealthy. I figured this would be a new and fun experience. So here I come natural hair. lol lol You ladies are the best and I wish you all the best of luck in everything that you do.Clap

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 183>
  Share Topic