Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Pressing
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Why can't I get my blow out straight?!

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
PinkIce716 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkIce716 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why can't I get my blow out straight?!
    Posted: Jan 21 2014 at 3:16am
I have 3c/4a natural hair and today I blew out my hair so I could flat iron it later on. I've noticed every time I blow it out it never comes out that straight. Especially at the ends, they will be very poofy. It makes it harder for me to flat iron and I usually have to put my flat iron on a much higher heat.

I prepped my hair by doing Hot Oil/Pre Poo and let that sit for about an hour. I shampooed my hair twice and deep conditioned overnight. The next day, once I rinsed out my DC, I applied my L'Oreal EverCreme Leave In, John Frieda Frizz Ease Serum (one pump) and Herbal Essences heat protectant and blow dried with a paddle brush. Whenever my hairdresser blows out my hair she uses a comb attachment, but I've heard that isn't healthy for the hair.  Any tips??

Edited by PinkIce716 - Jan 21 2014 at 7:13am
Sponsored Links

NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 22 2014 at 12:16pm
I was wondering does your blowdryer comes with a concentrated nozzle?  It looks like this:

If the image above doesn't show up, do a bing/google image search on blowdryer nozzle and it should show up or use concentrator blowdryer.  It should show up among the top ten/twenty.  It is an attachment that concentrated the air flow and used to make the hair straight, with an aid of a comb or brush.

Also I learned that you shouldn't blowdry sopping wet hair.  You should blot out excess water and then apply your leave ins and heat protectants.  I use the attachment comb on my dryer and my hair isn't breaking too badly but if you want to play it safe, use the paddle brush.  Currently I am looking into ceramides to deal with the breakage.  I think I have some old Lacio Lacio that might help.  Hopefully more people will chime in.

PinkIce716 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PinkIce716 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 23 2014 at 9:23am
Finally somebody answered, thank you! Yes, I do use the concentrator nozzle. But whether I blot my hair or blow it out after I let it air dry I still get the same result.
LongHairDarkSkin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LongHairDarkSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 25 2014 at 4:00pm
The comb attachment does allow you to blow dry your hair straighter. You just have to start with fully detangled hair and blow dry in small sections from the ends up so they don't get bunched up and poofy. Hold your hair taut as you blow dry it since the tension will allow you to get it more stretched with less manipulation and tangling. Use a high speed and warm (low) heat. GL
happygirl View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote happygirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 10:22pm
Most likely it's not what your putting on your hair but the technique that you are using to blow your hair out. Tension has to be used to get that look and most times requires a professional too. As far as the comb attachment on a dryer, it causes no more damage or less damage than a paddle brush would. Do not blow dry with it wet because that will break your hair. Your routine is not a bad one so you will just have to take the extra time to get it straight.
MsLowman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsLowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 1:27pm
Make sure you're blowing down the shaft. When blowing out natural hair I like to start at the ends and work my way up. Using a fine toothed heat resistant comb helps to smooth out whatever the blowdryer didn't straighten. Turning up the iron actually fries your hair.
JaceDummy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JaceDummy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:53pm
I find that I get impatient and blowdry large sections at a time. I think the best thing is to section off smaller sections. A lot of it has to do with tension though, and that isn't good for your hair.
LilMissSunshine View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LilMissSunshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2014 at 3:17pm
I use the comb attachment to get a straighter blowout. I also do it in sections.
iluvmihair View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmihair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 22 2014 at 3:44am
If the ends are looking kind of poofy when you blow dry and/or flat iron, this may be split ends. It tends to look kind of poofy or feathered when the rest of the hair is straight. This would need to be trimmed off, if so.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic