Ultra

Author
newcurlygirl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2007 at 5:30pm
MissCass,

Just gotta tell you that I love this quote:

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." -- Dr. Seuss
Sponsored Links

MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2007 at 6:22pm
I heard it at my little sister's graduation.  Dr. Suess has some good words to live by . . .
princessj7487 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2007 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by justlikeme justlikeme wrote:

Three words:  Pressing Comb Alopecia!!!

While it is possible to have healthy pressed hair (for a while), over time, pressing regularly will break down the bonds in the hair (much like a relaxer does) and it will not revert back to its natural state as it once did.  In addition, over a period of time, you may experience thinning at the crown, caused by "pressing comb alopecia".  In other words, hair loss/thinning due to the pressing comb or pressing. 

It is okay to press you hair every so often for a change, but I personally wouldn't advise pressing it on a regular basis continually over very long periods of time.  what about comb coils, twist outs, or even a sewn in straight weave if you want the straight look?

i'm pretty sure my mom has this. she uses a hot comb several times a week. her hair used to be so full and beautiful and now it is so broken off. hopefully i can get her to listen to some tips but she is very stubborn!
StrayFish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2007 at 10:38pm
pressing comb alopecia is a new on for me.
sax_lady View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2007 at 12:24am
I've tried many products and what I've found to work best for me is Satin Press by Ultra Sheen. To be honest, when I was younger, I had thinning edges from doing touch ups nearly every other day (between biweekly hard presses). When I stopped using so much heat, my hair remained healthy. I too have 4b hair; however, I've never used a flat iron but I will be trying it out soon.
Bennie G **sax_lady**
PS sorry for replying late (I forgot to check the box to get email replies).

Edited by sax_lady - Jun 25 2007 at 12:27am
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2007 at 8:08am
My sister is going natural and I think she's going to want to keep it pressed.  I should tell her about the pressing comb alopeciaConfused
Ms Lala View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 25 2007 at 11:32am
I would recommend using a flat iron instead of a hot comb.  The flat iron doesn't pull and tug on the hair the way a hot comb does. I have a friend who gets her hair done regularly w/a flat iron and it is thick and gorgeous.
RunninRabbit View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2007 at 1:43am

my grandmother taught me how 2 use a hot comb and if u do it at the right temp and in the right way you can press on a regular basis and i think it does a better job but there is def a technique so if u dont know what u r doing....flat irons. but i am by no means an advocate of constant pressing

-that being said she always used lustrasilk and my mothers hair grew beautifully
ivy07 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2007 at 3:17am
Originally posted by princessj7487 princessj7487 wrote:

Originally posted by justlikeme justlikeme wrote:

Three words:  Pressing Comb Alopecia!!!

While it is possible to have healthy pressed hair (for a while), over time, pressing regularly will break down the bonds in the hair (much like a relaxer does) and it will not revert back to its natural state as it once did.  In addition, over a period of time, you may experience thinning at the crown, caused by "pressing comb alopecia".  In other words, hair loss/thinning due to the pressing comb or pressing. 

It is okay to press you hair every so often for a change, but I personally wouldn't advise pressing it on a regular basis continually over very long periods of time.  what about comb coils, twist outs, or even a sewn in straight weave if you want the straight look?

i'm pretty sure my mom has this. she uses a hot comb several times a week. her hair used to be so full and beautiful and now it is so broken off. hopefully i can get her to listen to some tips but she is very stubborn!

I just have to say this: even though I couldn't stand those people I went to school with, there is this girl who got her hair pressed with a hot comb at a beauty shop every week, she started out with shoulder length hair, and I don't know what the people at the shop did, but her hair grew  a little past her behind. She wore that style until the next year she cut her hair and it's back to shoulder length. Her hair is very thick and healthy.
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 14 2007 at 6:24pm

I know some celebs who press/ed their hair like aaliyah, beyonce, queen latifah, monica, etc

Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic