Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Care Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWho presses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
StrayFish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who presses?
    Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 1:36am

I need to stop the braids mania, does anyone press and still has natural helathy hair?

Sponsored Links

StrayFish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 9:12am
No one? I am 4b and i hate my braids, i only had one day to take off the old and do new ones and i don't like them.

Come on people i need some motivation here, i am actually starting to like my hair, the lenght is hard to style at the moment.
Romeosgirl81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 4:25pm
i used to get my hair press every two weeks when i was younger, and it was very healthy and thick! i cant see myself doing this now, as i am not a pro and my grandmom was a former beautician! so she knew what she was doing! she didnt use anything special, mane n tail poo and con and dax grease to press with!lol
loolalooh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 4:50pm
I'm 4b but transitioning so I can't offer much input.  But seeing as you've only got one response, I'll give what I can.

From a few tips I've received (for when I start to deal with my natural hair), it IS possible to have natural healthy hair that is pressed.  Use a good heat protectant, run the flat-iron through your hair quickly, try to airdry instead of blow-drying before you flat-iron, and use the lowest heat possible to get your tresses straight.

Here's a fotki of someone with HEALTHY flat-ironed hair.  She's not 4b but it still might be useful to go over her pictures and pressing tips.  (I think she's 4a/3b?) I hope she doesn't mind me putting her fotki out there like that Smile:

Another one with healthy pressed hair.  Look at photos 15 and 16 in particular.  I think she's 4ab?:

Edited by loolalooh - Jun 19 2007 at 4:54pm
missnbh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 6:18pm
i used to press my hair before but now that i'm on a few challenges that wont be happening for a while.  My hair was very healthy.  I have a friend who presses her hair every 2 weeks and its extremely thick and healthy and long as lord knows what!!!
StrayFish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 7:48pm
Thanks ladies, i really appreciate your response. Fotki is down i will keep checking the sites.
sax_lady View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2007 at 1:02am
I've gotten my hair pressed all of my life. I get it pressed every two weeks and my hair is very healthy. Use a heat protectant, make sure the comb/flat iron is not too hot and most importantly NEVER press dirty or "sweated out" hair. Check out the pressed hair forum for more tips and to view fotkis.
StrayFish View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2007 at 9:19am
Thanks sax lady, what do you use for pressing your hair? I have fantasia products and everyone raves about them but they don't work for me.

Grease works better for my presses but everyone says grease is bad.
I also have hot tools hot comb and a sedu flat iron, which one would you recomend for 4b hair?
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 20 2007 at 1:33pm
I've never heard of Pressing Comb Alopecia.  Not to say this doesn't exist, but I've never seen it happen to anyone. 

Anywho, I used to press my hair every three weeks and I still had healthy hair.  Be sure to deep condition regularly and use a good heat protectant.  I press it now once every two months, but I'll probably do it more often once I get to my goal length.

Hope this helps!
MissCassC View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 21 2007 at 3:57pm
Thanks for the info, justlikeme.  I wasn't really disputing it; I'd just never heard of it.  You learn something new every day.
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic