Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Weaves / Extensions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedWhite people charging £800 for net weave!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
alynxx View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: White people charging £800 for net weave!
    Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 2:11pm

I was going bald until a 'hair enhancer' weaved its magic

By Alice Smellie

Last updated at 10:00 PM on 3rd March 2012

Her hair – or lack of it – took over Janet Robertson’s life when she hit her late 40s.

She had always had fine hair but after the menopause, she started to go bald on top.

‘It was devastating,’ she says. ‘My husband was sensitive and supportive but, to be honest, I was at my wits’ end.’

Janet Robertsons hair looks so much thicker since she has had the weave

Janet Robertson's hair looks so much thicker since she has had the weave. 'When they had finished fitting the weave, I cried,' she said

Her routine became fastidious and all-consuming.

‘Every morning I got up, washed my hair, blow-dried it and then used about half a can of hair lacquer to try to cover the bald patch,’ she says.

‘The weather dictated if I could go out. If it was windy or raining, I wouldn’t go.’

Janet’s story is one that will resonate with many of the 25 per cent of post-menopausal women who suffer from hair-thinning and baldness.

Consultant psychiatrist Dr Adrian Winbow, at Fitzroy Square Hospital in London, says it is a condition that can ruin lives.

‘Hair loss is much worse for women than for men,’ he adds.

‘They are already coming to terms with ageing, the problems of menopause and the loss of their fertility.’

Costing from £800, the treatment lasts two years. Every six weeks the mesh is tightened, which costs £40, and hair is trimmed and styled

Costing from £800, the treatment lasts two years. Every six weeks the mesh is tightened, which costs £40, and hair is trimmed and styled

He has had female patients on the verge of suicide when they come to see him. Some patients peer in the mirror 40 times a day looking for more bald patches.

‘This is a vicious circle,’ says Dr Winbow. ‘If you are self-conscious and depressed, you don’t go out. This, in turn, makes you less confident and more anxious.’

In extreme cases, agoraphobia and clinical depression develop. For his patients, Dr Winbow recommends a combination of cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) and antidepressants.

Although it never got this bad for Janet, 52, a support worker, she did invest heavily in ways to combat the problem.

The weather dictated if I could go out. If it was windy or raining, I wouldnt go, said Janet of her hair before she had the weave

'The weather dictated if I could go out. If it was windy or raining, I wouldn't go,' said Janet of her hair before she had the weave

‘I spent £600 on supplements to aid hair growth but they made no difference,’ she says.

‘I also tried Minoxidil, an over-the-counter drug, but it didn’t work for me.

‘I even considered a hair transplant but that would have cost between £10,000 and £20,000.

‘Every volumising product on the market went into my shopping basket but none covered up my bald patch.

'I even tried a wig, but I was scared to wear it in case it blew off.’

Last year, Janet finally found a solution that worked – a treatment called Enhancer by Hair Solved.

You can shower, swim, have blow-dries and use hair products, said Janet

'You can shower, swim, have blow-dries and use hair products,' said Janet

Existing hair is pulled through a mesh attached with surgical tape to the scalp. Natural hair extensions are woven in using minute plastic clips.

Costing from £800, the treatment lasts two years. Every six weeks the mesh is tightened, which costs £40, and hair is trimmed and styled.

Dr Bessam Farjo, one of the UK’s leading hair-transplant surgeons, welcomes the advent of new techniques that offer a durable alternative to wigs.

‘Thinning hair in women – also called androgenic alopecia – can be attributed to genetics and hormones,’ he says.

Androgenic alopecia is due mainly to a hormone called dihydrotestosterone (DHT).

This is a form of testosterone that in women is produced by the adrenal gland. DHT causes hair follicles to deteriorate gradually.

Women don’t produce as much testosterone as men and therefore have much smaller amounts of DHT.

The effects of DHT are counteracted by the female hormone oestrogen, which is produced by the ovaries.

‘During and after the menopause – and as oestrogen levels drop – DHT can act unopposed, so women may suffer from hair loss,’ says Dr Farjo.

The pattern of balding is different from that of men.

‘Women are more likely to retain the frontal hairline,’ he says, ‘but thin in an oval-shaped area behind it. The back and sides also thin out.’

Following her hair-weave, Janet, from Glasgow, no longer allows her situation to dominate her life.

‘When they had finished fitting the weave, I cried,’ she says.

‘It looked incredible. When you run your fingers through your hair, you can’t see or feel the clips.

‘You can shower, swim, have blow-dries and use hair products and styling tools. I feel like myself again.’

SMH! Confused
Sponsored Links

LFdiva View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 2:18pm
Unhappy
purpleredrose View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 2:30pm
LOL
decemberdiamond View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 2:59pm
Wow
Kami612 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 3:03pm
If only she knew.
bbsinclair View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 4:29pm
DUMMIES
beana3 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 4:56pm
I swear white people lack creativity, so they'll drop loads of money on anything "new" to them 
femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 5:12pm
so she hasn't tried any NATURAL dht blocker for "dht that goes UNOPPOSED..except Minoxidil.. (iffy stuff - and EXPENSIVE)..

It doesn't look as if she does any diet/exercise.  Nor follows any healthy regimen.

Her skin looks dry as a bone.  I could start her off on MSM/Chlorella/Nioxin recharging vits. (or hair omege 3-in-one dht blocker).. a daily simple exercise regimen..

but you know what?  she won't follow it.  If she lets a "weave" dictate to her whether she leaves the house or not, then she'll make up any excuse to stay at home and play with her fake hair.

I went through EXACTLY what she went through.  And all that was suggested by every beautician (Girl, get yourself a weave)..

Not one word about diet/exercise/supplementation.  Then again, when i think back on every beautician i've ever run into?  not ONE of them suggested diet/exercise/supps.  They were always waving those weaves around like they were the "end-all" be-all beauty product.

and Dr. Farheaux ain't helping matters.

femmemuscleisback View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by beana3 beana3 wrote:

I swear white people lack creativity, so they'll drop loads of money on anything "new" to them 

white people aren't the only ones Beana.  Sorry to say..  the weave game belonged to white folks long before it was even introduced to african americans.  It was only for celebrities at the time, after WWII. (Jews were scalped by the millions - they needed to do SOMETHING with the hair)..

Thus, it became more readily available to the masses in the form of weaves, wigs and even stuffing for cheap mattresses. Not only that black servants who did white folks hair would take what they clipped, or left in the brushes, sew to a weft, and sell it back to the clients as a "hair enhancer".

Okay, so when black folks wear it, it's a "Sew in" "Weave" "Fake Hair"..

but white folks wear it, they call it a "Hair Enhancer", "Hair Extensions"?  wow..

and yes, black folks will drop loads of money on a weave, just like any other race - heck,if not more so..  I certainly did..

and you think i'm lying?  Check out "Ar-coochie" They are making a bundle - WITHOUT the hair being sold!

zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 04 2012 at 5:28pm
I feel sorry for people who have hair loss but don't know the resources open to them, It's really sad.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic