BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

White girl: Why I chose to attend a HBCU

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 2.67  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 9:32pm

Why I chose to attend a historically black college- as a white person

Blah blah blah blahHoward offered me an athletic scholarship that covered a portion of the tuition and an academic scholarship that paid for the rest.  It was more money than Marymount had offered me. Howard’s lacrosse team was also better than Marymount’s. It was a no brainer; I accepted the offer. blah blah blah

LOL

ETA: Shoot, just got to page 2 and saw neka already figured ol girl out.

Edited by carolina cutie - May 21 2013 at 9:33pm
Sponsored Links

yurika975 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yurika975 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 9:53pm
Haven't ya'll discussed that the main party to benefit from affirmative action is white women. 
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 10:03pm
Lol, who said anything about her wanting a cookie or being a pioneer, though??? Didn't she mention in the article that she's well aware that it's a 4 year thing and that she won't be plagued by racism like her other classmates will be once they exit? I mean, damn. I know y'all give no fuccs about white folk and I ain't trying to champion them either but she didn't say a damn thing in this article that was wrong or off. If anything, it was pretty tame and boring. Y'all are never satisfied. She's white. Y'all want her to take injections for the rest of her life so she can feel what it's like to be a minority? Damn...
Sinnamon_Mami View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sinnamon_Mami Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 10:03pm
I've seen her at a Career Fair my company held.. I did give her a side eye, but whatever.. Keep that BS excuse about "Sally" to yourself.. Most white people get minority scholarships for going to an HBCU and she got an athletic scholarship: I would've taken it too.. I've seen several whites at Howard...
missdeeluxe View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missdeeluxe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 10:03pm
Confused
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 10:13pm

Isn't it in the HBCUs policy to openly accept other students, though? Did she really take advantage of the situation if actually had the athletic skills/grades? I would understand people being pissed off if she spent 4 years at the school only to come to the conclusion that "we don't see colour, everyone's the same and we all have the same opportunities". She didn't say any of that. At least she made an effort not to remain ignorant. But let me stop before I get accused of caping, lol
nitabug View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nitabug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by honeyb87 honeyb87 wrote:

Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

I don't like the tone of this essay. It's rubbing me the wrong way...

Sound so smart like you graduated college
Like you went to Yale but you probably went to Howard

Shade fail.

don't think that was shade...he quoted a song
Lilnicka4u2nv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lilnicka4u2nv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by gabi03 gabi03 wrote:

Whatever. Does she want a cookie or some sh*t?

She keeps talking about what shes learned but she will never know what it is like to be a "minority" so she can stfu. She walks off that campus and becomes part of the majority in this country and can fall right back into her position of privilege that her skin color affords her. 

You know white people always want cookies for things like this...

GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 10:45pm

Fast forwards to 2018 headline...

Howard becomes first predominantly white HBCU
ModelessDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ModelessDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2013 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

I don't like the tone of this essay. It's rubbing me the wrong way...

Sound so smart like you graduated college
Like you went to Yale but you probably went to Howard

Shade fail.

don't think that was shade...he quoted a song

I'm so I'm so I'm so I'm so I'm so proud of you

Edited by ModelessDiva - May 21 2013 at 11:29pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs