Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Which one of yall grandma's JOINED THE CONFEDERACY
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which one of yall grandma's JOINED THE CONFEDERACY

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Blac1Chyna View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blac1Chyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which one of yall grandma's JOINED THE CONFEDERACY
    Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 3:46pm

The weather may have been gloomy in Savannah on Dec. 14, but Georgia Benton was all smiles as she was inducted into the United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Not only is Benton the first African-American member in the Savannah Chapter, but she’s also the first in the state of Georgia.

“A lot of people when they hear the word ‘confederate’ they run,” said Savannah Chapter 2 president, Elizabeth Piechocinski. “But what they don’t realize is that there were a large number of African-Americans who served in the confederacy. Some were musicians or body servants, but some also fought.”

Benton’s great-grandfather, George W. Washington, a slave in Sumter County, South Carolina, went off to war as the body servant of his master, Lt. Alex McQueen. The pair served in numerous battles together, most notably the Battle of Sharpsburg and the Battle of Gettysburg. Benton said that through the years her grandmother had passed down stories of Washington and his service during the war, so she already had a lot of the documents and information she needed to get started with the process of joining the organization.

“I thought, ‘wait a minute, I deserve the same right to be a part of a group who are honoring their forefathers,’” said Benton. “Very little is known about black confederate soldiers, so if I can be a starting point in letting the world know the history and making them aware that African-Americans have fought in every war in history, then I’m proud to stand up for my great-grandfather. I’m honored because he helped form the United States of America, he was a part of that movement and not too many people are aware of that. I’m standing here with honor and pride.”

Benton said it took her about two months to compile the documents needed to trace her family lineage and because there aren’t a lot of enlistment records for African-American confederate soldiers it did take patience and a lot of digging, but Benton believes that she can help enhance the organization with her knowledge of African-American soldiers’ roles in the Civil War.

“My son tells me I’m a trailblazer, because I was also involved in the community Civil Rights movement in Port Wentworth. So, trailblazing, making a difference, I guess it’s in my blood. It’s just something that you do,” Benton said.

Sponsored Links

510QUEEN View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (11) Thanks(11)   Quote 510QUEEN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 3:49pm
them stockin and that sandal tho
Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (15) Thanks(15)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 3:51pm
^^^ Why you make me scroll up?
Butta Cookie View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Butta Cookie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 3:58pm
Why her toes scrubbing the ground though?! Nah she know that's gone cause a run!
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (16) Thanks(16)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 3:59pm
Quote Benton’s great-grandfather, George W. Washington, a slave in Sumter County, South Carolina, went off to war as the body servant of his master, Lt. Alex McQueen.

Ermm

he was a slave in battle suffering from stockholm syndrome any actions committed that werent to secure his freedom are null and void.

Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 4:00pm
Umm.......congrats?

Az~Maverick View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Az~Maverick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Quote Benton’s great-grandfather, George W. Washington, a slave in Sumter County, South Carolina, went off to war as the body servant of his master, Lt. Alex McQueen.

Ermm

he was a slave in battle suffering from stockholm syndrome any actions committed that werent to secure his freedom are null and void.

I saw that too, like why are they trying their hardest to romanticize this shyt....C'mon son Ermm
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

Umm.......congrats?

LOL Cry LOL
nekamarie83 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nekamarie83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 4:03pm

Umm.......congrats?
this, because of alla this:

Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Benton’s great-grandfather, George W. Washington, a slave in Sumter County, South Carolina, went off to war as the body servant of his master, Lt. Alex McQueen.
Ermm

I saw that too, like why are they trying their hardest to romanticize this shyt....C'mon son Ermm
my reaction is conflicted disgust at best. LOL
HowardAlumAKA View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote HowardAlumAKA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 24 2013 at 4:13pm
I can't even figure our what my reaction should be
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System