Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Where's Obama's tears for THESE kids?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 14151617>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 10 Votes, Average 2.60  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 5:16am
I don't think Obama's feelings would have been any different if they were black children....he has black children.
White folks probably wouldn't care as much though....they'd use it as another reason to be racist.
I'm going to be real honest right now.
That recent shooting didn't move me all that much.....but it would have if the children were mostly black.
Sponsored Links

mrshairdo View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mrshairdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

I don't think Obama's feelings would have been any different if they were black children....he has black children.
White folks probably wouldn't care as much though....they'd use it as another reason to be racist.
That recent shooting didn't move me all that much.....but it would have if the children were mostly black.

i agree with this and didn't he get flack for speaking about trayvon when this other white family got mad that he didn't speak about their child
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 5:22am

i can agree with this whole post
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 5:41am
Heh, well Yt tragedies often don't feel like tragedy...they usually feel more like a universal balance. This event, however, was unimaginable in more ways than one. We may not be yt but we can all remember the innocence we harbored at 6 yrs old. I Do feel resentful when abducted white children get all the airtime but even my jaded mind can't shake how sad this is. Those kids didn't even know what type of world they were living in yet.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote EPITOME Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 6:57am

which many in this thread have overlooked.
is politics biased toward the majority? of course.
does the media create stories from what they think will interest most? of course
many very serious matters are not covered in the news, matters that need discussion that are not remotely race based.

though politics is a game with facades--it's interesting to me when people demand empathy but question when it is displayed. as if every situation deserves the same degree of consideration.
humans aren't like that and i doubt even those posting are that consistent
arent some saying? i would care more if they were black?
you mean--you have the same mindset as the majority but applied to a different group--you care more about some than others

the shooting moved me bc innocence lost is lost no matter the race
my mom told me she felt this tragedy in all ways bc she has a daughter in elementary school and one teacher who died is my age..
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:54am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Of course, it hits closer to home when it's close to you. But children remain children, whether they are in the U.S, in Kenya (you know, where is dad is from?), in Yemen or in the North Pole. That's why I just can't get behind politicians' tears. I just don't trust it. How you gonna have a kill list that you replenish EVERY SINGLE WEEK knowing that these drones are bound to hit innocent civilians and that they are NOT as precise and "surgical" as you make it out to be and then try to convince that you give a shyt about kids in general? I understand he has a difficult job and has to make hard choices but a politician is a politician is a politician

You act like he built the drones with his bare hands.
Honestly speaking, nobody cares.

This is why nobody likes the US. 

This is why people can't stand us! Not because they're jealous. But because most of yall are hella insensitive and ignorant about the rest of the world.

Yup. And frankly, sometimes people outside the U.S. know more about U.S policies than americans themselves. I've seen brilliant documentaries and pieces of investigative journalism (both during the Bush era and the Obama era) that NEVER MADE IT ON AMERICAN AIRWAVES and never will. Hell, when Obama was elected, I shouted and screamed and beamed with pride like everyone else. And then I learned a few things and realized that he's not nearly as progressive as he appears to be on some topics. Frankly, I don't even know why republicans dislike him so much (aside from the obvious colour of his skin) because they ain't joking when they say that he is a centrist. There are things happening under his administration that even that cursed Bush did not touch

This
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:57am

Of course, it hits closer to home when it's close to you. But children remain children, whether they are in the U.S, in Kenya (you know, where is dad is from?), in Yemen or in the North Pole. That's why I just can't get behind politicians' tears. I just don't trust it. How you gonna have a kill list that you replenish EVERY SINGLE WEEK knowing that these drones are bound to hit innocent civilians and that they are NOT as precise and "surgical" as you make it out to be and then try to convince that you give a shyt about kids in general? I understand he has a difficult job and has to make hard choices but a politician is a politician is a politician

You act like he built the drones with his bare hands.
Honestly speaking, nobody cares.

You don't care because you are an entitled american. there are people who care. And I saw a documentary about this not too long ago. This drone system has taken flight UNDER HIS REGIME. He cannot blame Bush for that

And I wanted to add that these drones attacks are in violation of about a dozen international treaties. But americans don't give a fucc about that

Drones are allowed to fly in the US too right?  Has that happened yet?  I havent been keeping up with it lately.
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rumbera Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

the shooting moved me bc innocence lost is lost no matter the race
my mom told me she felt this tragedy in all ways bc she has a daughter in elementary school and one teacher who died is my age..

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 10:34pm

Vijay Prashad: Deaths of children that don’t make news

By VIJAY PRASHAD
Monday, December 17, 2012
(Published in print: Tuesday, December 18, 2012)

NORTHAMPTON — No community easily suffers the death of children. Accidents, violent crimes and illness: the cause is immaterial.

No death of a child is for a reason. All such deaths are senseless.

In his emotional address shortly after news came of the massacre in Newtown, Conn., President Obama pointed to the frequency of such mass crimes and nudged the country to widen our field of vision: “Whether it is an elementary school in Newtown, or a shopping mall in Oregon, or a temple in Wisconsin, or a movie theater in Aurora, or a street corner in Chicago — these neighborhoods are our neighborhoods, and these children are our children.”

The contrary nudge came in his last destination, the “street corner in Chicago.”

When a singular mass killing occurs in mainly affluent suburbs, it shocks the nation — and rightly so. But it might be a shock to some to know that this year alone 117 children died from handgun violence in Chicago. These deaths do not get discussed, let alone memorialized in the national conversation of tragedy.

There are at least two reasons for this. First, these deaths do not happen in a spectacular fashion. They take place in ones and twos, often in the lonely hours of the night when bullets depart from their targets and settle in the soft tissue of children asleep in their homes, or in the afternoon as they play on the sidewalk.

Take the case of April 12. One-year-old Jayliah Allen was shot while she slept in her bed, the bullet entering the window. Seven-year-old Derrick Robeteau was shot in the leg while playing outside his grandfather’s home and a 7-year-old girl was shot as she stood outside her home. Three children hit by handguns in one day, but in an unspectacular form.

Second, old racist habits linger. These are African-American and Latino kids, whose neighborhoods are considered dangerous. Which is why when Jayliah and Derrick were killed no one called their neighborhoods bucolic or thought that this violence was senseless. There is a hardness that has entered our consciousness, allowing us to avoid the sealed fates of these kids.

No memorials exist as well for the 178 children killed by U.S. drone strikes in the borderlands of Pakistan and Afghanistan. Noor Aziz, 8, Talha, 8, Najibullah, 13, Adnan, 16, Hizbullah, 10, Wilayat Khan, 11, Asadullah, 9, Sohail, 7: these are some of the names of children killed by the drones. News reports frequently say “three militants killed,” and then a few days later, in the Pakistani press, one hears that amongst the dead were children with no association with the militants. Unlike the street shootings in Chicago, there have been mass killings by drones, which have received only minimal attention. On Oct. 30, 2006, a U.S. drone struck a school in Bajaur, Pakistan, killing 83 people. The New York Times story ran Nov. 10 with the headline, “American Strike in January Missed Al-Qaeda’s No. 2 By a Few Hours.”

The Times noted in the story that the drone hit “a madrasa, or religious school,” but left it at that. It did not mention that only three of those killed were older than 20. The rest were between the ages of 7 and 17.

There was no apology for this strike, authorized by the White House, no call to put an end to this kind of tragedy. One of the more unseemly coincidences of the Newtown massacre is that just down the road from the elementary school is Forecast International, a military intelligence firm that has been bullish on drones.

On Oct. 23, Time’s Joe Klein was on MSNBC’s Morning Joe. Host Joe Scarborough spoke passionately against the use of drones, saying “it seems so antiseptic and yet you have 4-year-old girls being blown to bits because we have a policy that now says, ‘You know what? Instead of trying to go in and take the risk and get the terrorists out of hiding in a Karachi suburb, we’re just going to blow up everyone around them.’ ”

Klein, a defender of the Obama record, answered emotionlessly, “The bottom line in the end is — whose 4-year-old gets killed? What we’re doing is limiting the possibility that 4-year-olds here will get killed by indiscriminate acts of terror.”

Such a callous calculation is not Klein’s alone; it is reflected in the general lack of concern for what is being carried out in our name.

No human beings can tolerate to see their children killed. No human beings, not anywhere.

Vijay Prashad, who lives in Northampton, is the author of “Arab Spring, Libyan Winter” (AK Press).

Edited by Alias_Avi - Dec 21 2012 at 10:34pm
happy 4b View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote happy 4b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 11:13pm
We really shouldn't compare tragedies.

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style