Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Color
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Where to start?!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
FearlessNik View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FearlessNik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where to start?!?
    Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 7:58am
Hey Ladies!

I'm a noob all the way around. I'm looking to color (darken) some #4 Bobraz hair. Is there a "How to dye hair for dummies thread"? I was trying to search and I didn't see one.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

RedSoxtober View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 12:16pm
There isn't one yet.Wink What color are you looking to go for?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FearlessNik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 9:18pm
Thanks for replying! I was looking to take the #4 down to a #1 to 1b. I've never dyed my hair (except with koolaid in the '90s). So I was thinking of using just one of the box colors.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 10 2013 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by FearlessNik FearlessNik wrote:

Thanks for replying! I was looking to take the #4 down to a #1 to 1b. I've never dyed my hair (except with koolaid in the '90s). So I was thinking of using just one of the box colors.

This is completely different than Kool-Aid LOL. Since you're dyeing the hair a darker shade, this should be fairly easy for a beginer. First off, I don't really recommend using box dyes at all...for numerous reasons.... Here's a basic list of things you need for hair dyeing.

TOOLS

1. A tint bowl and tint brush. These are very important for prescise, even haircolor. NEVER use an applicator bottle to mix or apply haircolor; it's one of many reasons why I don't recommend box dye. If you're fourtunate to have a SALLY's nearby, you can pick up both for under $3. Make sure to NEVER use any metal bowls or ustensils when mixing applying color.

2. Medical gloves. Chances are you may already have a box of these in your household, if not you can get them just about anywhere in latex and nyoprene. Some places sell them in loose pairs...get about 3 pairs especially if you have long nails.

3. Old t-shirts/towels/washcloths/clothing. Any clothing that you wouldn't mind getting dye on. I've been dyeing hair for almost 20 years and it still happens to me once in a while.

4. A timer....clock or watch. Whatever you need to keep track of how long the haircolor takes to develop.

5. Combs and hairclips. Also very important to part and section the hair for even application. Once again no metal other than the springs in the clips.

Now, onto the hairdye itself.

You'll need three things: haircolor, developer and deep condtioner.

Color: I start you off with a dark brown first. If you go to Sally's there's a brand called Ion Color Brillance that I like a lot. They're actually having a special on their products. Go in and look for 2N Darkest Brown in creme since it's easier to work with than the liquid. If you hair is about shoulder length, get 1 tube if your hair is longer than that or very thick get 2 tubes. If your hair is about waistlength, get 3 tubes.

Developer: Ion also has its own developer for sensitive scalps (it smells okay too) I recommend getting the 8 oz bottle in a 20 volume since you're dyeing extensions and they could be a little resistant.

Deep condtioner: A good moisturizing conditoner of your choice.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FearlessNik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 1:45am
Thanks so much!!!! I'm overseas and I'll have to order everything from Amazon (Sally's charges too much to ship over). I thought developer was only for  lightening (and that it was a bleach/ lifter). I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to get the supplies here. If I can't I'll just rock the #4 mixed in.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 3:10am

Thanks so much!!!! I'm overseas and I'll have to order everything from Amazon (Sally's charges too much to ship over). I thought developer was only for  lightening (and that it was a bleach/ lifter). I'm not sure if I'll have enough time to get the supplies here. If I can't I'll just rock the #4 mixed in.

Developer does two things when it's mixed with haircolor...First it opens the hairshaft to lift out pigment and after a certain amount of time, it deposits the artificial pigment. When mixed with a lightener, (bleach) it lifts out both natural and artificial pigment this process is known as decolorizing.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FearlessNik Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 5:34am
Clap Thank you! Maybe we could get this topic pinned and it can be Dyeing for newbies?
KikiScorpio92 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KikiScorpio92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 5:52am
Redsoxtober you give the best advice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 3:38pm

Clap Thank you! Maybe we could get this topic pinned and it can be Dyeing for newbies?

A few topics should also be pinned but, haven't been. This section gets neglected big time. Disapprove

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RedSoxtober Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 11 2013 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by KikiScorpio92 KikiScorpio92 wrote:

Redsoxtober you give the best advice
Embarrassed Thank you, KikiScorpio92.Embarrassed
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair