BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Natural Hair Care > Natural Hair Care
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Where Did You Big Chop? Advice needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>

Author
lalaLeslie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lalaLeslie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 11:54pm
Most people do it themselves. Idk how to, and since I go to school in the suburbs w/ no type of local transportation, I used the closest place to my uni which was super cuts. One of those generic chain hair cuttery places. It wasn't a good experience tbh. It made me feel uncomfortable like they were judging me. The first lady was looking at my hair like "WTF" and had to get someone else to do it. Although she didn't handle my hair as gently as I'd like, what's done is done. And the hair cut came out okay. It was definitely cheaper than that. Since they washed it, It came out to around 18 dollars minus my tip. 
The place you're thinking about is quite pricy though. 40$ a consultation. It's just a cut, and it's not like a style, you're just going through and cutting the relaxed ends off. So I'd go to a barber or to a regular black hair salon. 
Sponsored Links

tvlady View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tvlady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 4:52pm
I went to the barbershop and told him to cut at the line of demarcation.  That is what he did and he charged me 20 dollars. I went home and washed it to get the curls. I wouldn't do it myself unless I was cutting low like a ceasar, but I transitioned for 6 months and didn't want to mess it up. Plus he shaped it a bit for me 
PepInMyStep View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PepInMyStep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 9:52pm
I went to a barbershop. Great decision. My hair was even and looked great. 
solena View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote solena Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 10:15pm
i always do it myself because i dont trust anyone to give me a cut or trim
tasty0619 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tasty0619 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2012 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

I cut it myself in the bathroom.

I cut off all of the "obvious" relaxed pieces then cowashed and left some cheapie vo5 in, and cut the missed straight ends.

Lwhite1960 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lwhite1960 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2012 at 5:16pm
My hubby did mine, before the chemotherapy took it out. 
Jess View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jess Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 14 2012 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by bajanbklyngirl bajanbklyngirl wrote:

Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

I cut it myself in the bathroom.

I cut off all of the "obvious" relaxed pieces then cowashed and left some cheapie vo5 in, and cut the missed straight ends.

Yay!!
Do it yourself..
Or if you have a hubby, let him help.

Bolded is pretty much what I just did. The relaxed ends were obvious at that point.
Me too.
Heavy Rotation View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Heavy Rotation Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 1:47am
i did it myself...and i am not a "hair person."  never trimmed or cut my hair before.  but after transitioning and handling everything myself...no way was i giving this up to a stylist...

i highly recommend doing it yourself.  if you want a dope shape, then go to a professional, but if you just want to get rid of your relaxed ends, do it yourself. :-)

good luck!
fairyQueen092 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fairyQueen092 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 2:23pm
Thanks everyone

I've decided to do it myself, since no one else can be as gentle.
Miss SDY View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Miss SDY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 15 2012 at 9:18pm
Both times I did it myself.. Just slathered some gel on my hair and rolled with it!

This time, I may let the stylist that does my sew-ins do it when I take this one down and before she puts another one in..

But to be honest, it is hard to find someone who cares about your hair as much as you do and it is better to do it yourself. JMO

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic