BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Where Did The Easter Bunny Come From?

Post Reply Post Reply

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tatee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Where Did The Easter Bunny Come From?
    Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:20am

Where Did The Easter Bunny Come From?

The Easter Bunny is an anthropomorphic, egg-laying rabbit who sneaks into homes the night before Easter to deliver baskets full of colored eggs, toys and chocolate. A wise man once told me that all religions are beautiful and all religions are wacko, but even if you allow for miracles, angels, and pancake Jesus, the Easter Bunny really comes out of left field.

If you go way back, though, the Easter Bunny starts to make a little sense. Spring is the season of rebirth and renewal. Plants return to life after winter dormancy and many animals mate and procreate. Many pagan cultures held spring festivals to celebrate this renewal of life and promote fertility. One of these festivals was in honor of Eostre or Eastre, the goddess of dawn, spring and fertility near and dear to the hearts of the pagans in Northern Europe. Eostre was closely linked to the hare and the egg, both symbols of fertility.

As Christianity spread, it was common for missionaries to practice some good salesmanship by placing pagan ideas and rituals within the context of the Christian faith and turning pagan festivals into Christian holidays (e.g. Christmas). The Eostre festival occurred around the same time as the Christians' celebration of Christ's resurrection, so the two celebrations became one, and with the kind of blending that was going on among the cultures, it would seem only natural that the pagans would bring the hare and egg images with them into their new faith (the hare later became the more common rabbit).

The pagans hung on to the rabbit and eventually it became a part of Christian celebration. We don't know exactly when, but it's first mentioned in German writings from the 1600s. The Germans converted the pagan rabbit image into Oschter Haws, a rabbit that was believed to lay a nest of colored eggs as gifts for good children. (A poll of my Twitter followers reveals that 81% of the people who replied believe the Easter Bunny to be male, based mostly on depictions where it's wearing a bowtie. The male pregnancy and egg-laying mammal aspects are either side effects of trying to lump the rabbit and egg symbols together, or rabbits were just more awesome back then.)

Oschter Haws came to America with Pennsylvania Dutch settlers in the 1700s, and evolved into the Easter Bunny as it became entrenched in American culture. Over time the bunny started bringing chocolate and toys in addition to eggs (the chocolate rabbit began with the Germans, too, when they started making Oschter Haws pastries in the 1800s).

bunny-bilby.jpg

The Easter Bunny also went with European settlers to Australia—as did actual bunnies. These rabbits, fertile as they are, got a little out of control, so the Aussies regard them as serious pests. The destruction they've caused to habitats is responsible for the major decline of some native animals and causes millions of dollars worth of damage to crops. It is, perhaps, not a great idea to use an invasive species as a symbol for a religious holiday, so Australia has been pushing the Easter Bilby (above, on the right), an endangered marsupial that kind of looks like a bunny if you squint. According to some of our Australian readers, the Easter Bunny is not in danger of going extinct.

http://mentalfloss.com/article/21411/where-did-easter-bunny-come

Sponsored Links

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:57am
It all goes back to Semiramis, Nimrod and nem. 

Also, I had a nice informative response to your Good Friday post and BHM through Satan destroyed it lol smh -____-
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 10:36am
XMas, New Years & Easter are all based on stories, dates, lunar calendars and traditions that pre-date Christianity. There used to be a Spring Solstice celebration sex orgy in the times pre-Christianity. The bunny was one of the symbols of the goddess of sex & fertility.
HaitianLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaitianLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 12:09pm
Thank you! People keep blindly celebrating sh*t and never question anything. If Easter is about jesus, where the heck does easter eggs,bunnies, and chocolate come from? If christmas is about jesus
Birth why are you guys giving presents to each other, why is santa there, the tree, the star? Plus the fact the jesus said to remember his death sacrifice but never said anything about his birth. Nor does the bible alude to a date either. People alwats look at me funny when I say I dont celebrate these "christian holidays".
CherryBlossom View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CherryBlossom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 12:09pm
bunnies are disgusting creatures..that's all I gotLOL

but yeah the symbols from all these celebrations definitely have pagan roots

Princess Grace View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Princess Grace Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 12:14pm
Its easier to sell a fluffy bunny basket with eggs versus a bloody cross Jesus toy isn't it?
Lady ICE View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lady ICE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by HaitianLuv HaitianLuv wrote:

People keep blindly celebrating sh*t and never question anything. If Easter is about jesus, where the heck does easter eggs,bunnies, and chocolate come from?
thats what i said as a child. so glad i got the answers when i grew up. smh i tried to give my mom the answers...but shes set in her ways...try me every year with that happy easter holiday crap, theres nothing Christian about them. i dont even answer the call anymore....unless its day after and we're shopping for candy.LOL

Edited by Lady ICE - Apr 19 2014 at 7:02pm
NJHairLuv View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJHairLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:07pm
I'm not religious, was not raise in religion but I love a good ole Easter basket & Easter outfit!!! Just finished making my momma her Easter basket and will be volunteering at a free Easter party for the kids in the community tomorrow!LOL I think that it is good to know the true origins of anything that you celebrate or practice and that it is sad when people dont do any research on their own...but oh well.Smile
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by CherryBlossom CherryBlossom wrote:

bunnies are disgusting creatures..that's all I gotLOL

but yeah the symbols from all these celebrations definitely have pagan roots

melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 19 2014 at 7:19pm
They've always been two holidays celebrated at the same time in my book (one secular, one religious).
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply