Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Beauty Tips > Makeup Tips
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Where are all my nail polish fans??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 06 2013 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by briany briany wrote:

Originally posted by truequeen06 truequeen06 wrote:

Originally posted by Qfab4in Qfab4in wrote:

any tips for 'clean' cuticles?  i like how yall nails look very polished. any tips?

Do you mean not getting polish on your cuticles, or having nice cuticles that aren't peeling etc?

I would be grateful if you could answer for both.

I use a cuticle removing tool similar(just a different brand/color) to this.

You have to soften the cuticles first, either with an instant cuticle remover(can be a polish or cream) that makes them soft after it dries or the old fashion way, by soaking your nails in water, either way whatever does the trick.

Then you push back the cuticles and remove the excess cuticle(dead tissue) or hangnail with the blade of the tool, you can often gently scrape them away with the cuticle pushing side of the stick after it's been softened but if you really have stubborn overgrowth then the trimmer(the blade) is a good way to remove that. It's very sharp so be careful!
You work on all the nails in one direction horizontally in a slightly curve like fashion(upward sweep, to not run it into the nail bed across the beginning of the nail bed and gently remove the excess cuticles in one go.
Stubborn hangnails can be removed with the blade by positioning the stick vertically if they are on the side of the nail, make sure the blade points toward the tip of the nail(so that it doesn't get into the nail bed) and be very gentle.

I like the way it's explained here so you can check that out for a more detailed explanation.

You could also use a cuticle cutter, which looks like this:

or like this:

Your nails will be smooth and easier to polish, plus pushing back the cuticles before you polish your nails will give you more space to work with and you will end up with a cleaner look (explained very well in a long response from the author below the blog entry.)

You can keep your nails and cuticles moisturized by massaging them with oil or lotion now and then, especially to avoid the skin around the nail from drying out.

Sponsored Links

briany View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote briany Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 07 2013 at 9:03pm
Thanks Ritle.
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 12:59am

Thanks Ritle.

You're welcome.
truequeen06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote truequeen06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 18 2013 at 3:42pm

Originally posted by truequeen06 truequeen06 wrote:

Originally posted by Qfab4in Qfab4in wrote:

any tips for 'clean' cuticles?  i like how yall nails look very polished. any tips?

Do you mean not getting polish on your cuticles, or having nice cuticles that aren't peeling etc?

I would be grateful if you could answer for both.

I swear I wrote a long post to answer a while back.  I don't know what happened.  Let's try this again LOL

Polishing neatly: Honestly, practice makes perfect.  I don't start painting right at the cuticle, but I start a few millimeters away and push the polish toward the cuticle a bit and then paint toward the tip.  Here's a visual:

After it's all said and done, sometimes you just still get paint on your cuticles.  What I do is dip a brush (I use the ELF concealer brush - $1 at target) into acetone and swipe around the cuticles.  I don't use cue tips because they can leave lint in my mani and they're also less precise.

Keeping cuticles neat: Keep them moisturized!  Keep lotion in your purse, use gloves when cleaning, etc.  I soak my fingers (sans polish) in olive oil once a week and this does wonders for keeping my nails and cuticles moisturized.  Some people like to use cuticle nippers, but I'm not a fan unless nipping off a hangnail.  Cutting the cuticle leads too much room for error and can lead to infection etc if not done right.  I do love to use cuticle remover.  My personal favorites are the Sally Hansen gel cuticle remover in the blue bottle and Blue Cross (you can find this one at Sally Beauty).  They both work well and the Blue Cross also works great to add in with your foot bath water to help get the dead skin off.  After you apply the cuticle remover wait a minute or 2 and use an orange stick to push your cuticles back and kind of scrap the gel off.  I do this no more than once a week.

HTH!

Edited by truequeen06 - Apr 18 2013 at 4:01pm
Ritle View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ritle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 22 2013 at 11:46pm
Also good tips truequeen06, I love your nails!

Just done(can't wait for the nail on my middle finger to grow back).

Miss B View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Miss B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2013 at 7:41pm
Hey nail polish junkies!

Selling some new Illamasqua downstairs. Check it out.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/topic360322_post10339517.html#10339517

Edited by Miss B - May 19 2013 at 7:42pm
KottonKandy View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KottonKandy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 04 2013 at 11:01am
I didn't go back all pages, but I just tried this and I love it. It does dry fast and hard. 

Super22Star View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Super22Star Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2013 at 6:00am
BUMP

I never want this thread to die!!! LOL
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 21 2013 at 6:18am
I've been doing my own gel nails for the past two months.  I like IBD My Babe.  Its a pretty lavander color.  I'll post a pic of the pedicure I did with it later.
truequeen06 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote truequeen06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 23 2013 at 3:38am
Maybelline Banana Pudding

Man Glaze Butt Taco

Pretty and Polished Popples

Essie Da Bush

OPI I Theodora You

Essie Bobbing for Baubles

Ozotic Pro 529 over Revlon Beguile

Essie Turquoise and Caicos

Color Club Harp On It

China Glaze Lubu Heels

Orly Cashmere Cardigan

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair