Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Bootiful Cream Reduces Cellulite and stretch marks
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Whenever you view beautiful, soulful Black art...
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Whenever you view beautiful, soulful Black art...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whenever you view beautiful, soulful Black art...
    Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:50pm
like this...

Does the art take on a different meaning when you find out the artist isn't Black?

ARTIST BIOGRAPHY

Sara Golish is an emerging visual artist born in Windsor, Ontario, Canada.

Since putting pencil to paper as a toddler, she knew her passion was to become an Artist. After excelling in the Windsor Center for the Creative Arts during high school, she moved to Toronto in hopes of seeking a more challenging artistic environment at the Ontario College of Art & Design. There she received her BFA in 2008 for Drawing & Painting, acquiring the Eric Freifeld Award for ‘Proficiency in draughtsmanship.’ In 2011 to expand upon her visual language, she completed courses at George Brown College in graphic & web design and development.

Sara has also completed extensive work as a decorative painter, which has included designing and painting murals, bas relief, gilding and faux finishes in traditional and contemporary styles. She has worked on high-end residential, corporate and retail interior design projects for places in Toronto, New York, Los Angeles, Sarasota and Barbados. Sara has also sub-contracted work for those such as Brian Gluckstein, Chapman Design Group, Yabu Pushelberg, Douglas Design, Munge Leung, Andrew Ness, and Jay Hodgins, to name a few.

Presently Sara is based out of Toronto, Ontario, working as a Freelance Artist who specializes in figurative and portrait drawing and painting.

Sponsored Links

blaquefoxx View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote blaquefoxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:54pm
I don't like that the faces are basically the same for the grey scale images. Which is why I'm not moved by them. 

I like a couple of the color images. 
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:56pm
I think that's what drew me into them

It's amazing to me how different they all look and she, literally, only changed the styling of the hair

Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

I don't like that the faces are basically the same for the grey scale images.
Gkisses View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gkisses Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:57pm
Nah
zolloh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote zolloh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:58pm
nala52808 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nala52808 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 9:59pm
It is still meaningful to me, and makes me happy that the artist can capture the beauty and uniqueness of our culture and features even though she is a different race. Usually her people have us lookin like this:

BBpants View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BBpants Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 10:02pm
It doesn't bother me at all...

I really love the way she made the eyes in the first pics...it's really beautiful

Edited by BBpants - Aug 04 2014 at 10:05pm
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 10:04pm
I think for a lot of folks it does make a difference. I remember the top pics being posted before and getting kudos. Now I'm sure it will be shaded and things found wrong with the images. Plus...the question will always be is this true appreciation or another case of whitey making money off our image. That said I do like the first pics.
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 10:15pm
Interesting perspective

I think it matters to some people too... just like the reverse does. I remember Kara Walker's art being posted and the question arising if anyone would feel differently if the artist hadn't been Black and many people admitted they would

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

I think for a lot of folks it does make a difference. I remember the top pics being posted before and getting kudos. Now I'm sure it will be shaded and things found wrong with the images. Plus...the question will always be is this true appreciation or another case of whitey making money off our image. That said I do like the first pics.
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2014 at 10:19pm
Not at all.

Like nala said, I choose not to perceive it negatively. I think it's dope she appreciates our beauty.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Next Hair Extensions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>