BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

When nothing in your life works out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by rickysrose rickysrose wrote:

seems like there would be so much content that would need to be translated from English to French and vice versa 

I would think high proficiency in both french and english would be very marketable in a lot of jobs ... is there something else you could see yourself doing

forget about the education, experience and what not but just something that you would see yourself happy doing

or is there high demand for a particular type of job where you live?

The translation market is kind of saturated at the moment. Too many of them. I was "lucky" to have found those jobs in a company and not at a translation agency where they treat you like employees working an assembly line and exploit the hell out of you. I've been thinking it over, switching careers and all, but all I know how to do is write, tbh, I was looking at jobs that require that I not only translate but write documents (I have a communications/journalism degree) but they are hard to find. I'm crossing my finger that an opportunity will come by but it doesn't look good
Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:37pm
I'm a solutions/action oriented person. I'm going through this right now with my health/career and figuring out a plan helps.

It sounds like since the issue is your job...if you could be financially independent then job concerns wouldn't matter. I don't know your financial situation but obviously right now you should be cutting back on everything unnecessary since you know you're about to get laid off. Then you need to get your financial house in order because your next moves are going to be amazing.

You said you're a translator? My sister does translation work on the side and she said it can be somewhat difficult to get into, depending on who you know and your connections, but it can be very lucrative. She's currently in school to get her masters in linguistics.

Anyway, can you make a business as a freelance translator? I'm sure there's a lot of opportunity there for someone who has been in the field for years. I know you said the market is "saturated" but with the internet you can connect with people/companies all over the world who need translation services. Think bigger and nontraditional. My sister was in Chile doing translation for people in the US and other countries. 

You're dealing with the stress/anxiety/depression and your health. But you clearly have to make a change on the job front. Get laid off, get unemployment, and start making some moves. 

Edited by maysay1 - Dec 08 2012 at 1:39pm
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:42pm
[QUOTE=RedFoxx]This is only the 2nd place...I think youre being hard on yourself...im more ashamed of my job number than some people are of their body count
Well, not really. I've had other experiences but I cut them short for similar reason. Which leaves me with gaps in my resume. It's not easy being a black woman in a corporate environment in Montreal. At all.

I have no advice but I have been there...it was me tho...I would go in all gung ho but the fact was I had no intention on keeping these jobs and I acted like it...the last place I worked at was like a "team/family" thing where getting personal was expected....well im not really like that...so...yeah...im not there anymore...

I just put that ish in the pile with alllllll the rest of the jobs I couldnt seem to keep and kept it moving...I dont take or havent taken any of the jobs ive had personally (or seriously for that matter..yikes)...my love life/personal life is much more likely to make me feel like everythings going wrong...definitely not a job...man fcuk dem Brothas man...
Oh, I'm depressed about that too. Once I got that job and started working out/working on myself, I was hoping to really get myself back out there. But now I have to worry about keeping myself afloat.

Do you really like the field youre in or the job you do???[/QUOTE]
I love translation. I just don't like the kind of material I have to translate but this is were the jobs are (financial, insurance, etc)

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Dec 08 2012 at 1:43pm
Lite Brite View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lite Brite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:45pm
Sorry to hear about all of this, Jolie. If you have been depressed in the past, you might be able to get your doctor to write you a prescription for antidepressants now rather than waiting to see if a debilitating episode of major depression kicks in, you know? It sounds like that would make the job search/performance even harder.

I don't remember if you live in the U.S. or not, but if so.. while being unemployed isn't pleasant, having unemployment checks while you search for another job is LOL. As far as the translator job search goes, maybe you could try looking for work in a hospital, mental health agency, or even a government job?

You seem like a good person, and I think things will work out for you, but the hard part is waiting for it to happen, especially if you're feeling so down. Can you go hang with some good friends this weekend? Do you have a good support system?

I wish you the best!

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

I'm a solutions/action oriented person. I'm going through this right now with my health/career and figuring out a plan helps.

It sounds like since the issue is your job...if you could be financially independent then job concerns wouldn't matter. I don't know your financial situation but obviously right now you should be cutting back on everything unnecessary since you know you're about to get laid off. Then you need to get your financial house in order because your next moves are going to be amazing.

Yup, I realize that now. I wish I had before I got me a gym membership with a personal trainer, though. That alone is costing me. But I've already told folks that I will not be generous at Christmas
You said you're a translator? My sister does translation work on the side and she said it can be somewhat difficult to get into, depending on who you know and your connections, but it can be very lucrative. She's currently in school to get her masters in linguistics.
Exactly. And that's the heart of the problem. What I really wanted was to translate books (self-help, how to's, novels etc...) But it's damn near impossible without connections. And I have a former boss who hates me to the point of wanting to sabotage my future endeavours
Anyway, can you make a business as a freelance translator? I'm sure there's a lot of opportunity there for someone who has been in the field for years. I know you said the market is "saturated" but with the internet you can connect with people/companies all over the world who need translation services. Think bigger and nontraditional. My sister was in Chile doing translation for people in the US and other countries. 
No. I did that for the past 2 1/2 years at home, until I saw my clientele shrink and my revenues dwindle. Which is why I took a job at a company in the first place, a few months ago, to make ends meet. I have a mortgage to pay. I keep getting offers in my mailbox for freelance translation but they are ridiculous (I got one the other day from a Chicago agency offering me 9 cents per word! My usual fee hovers between 20 and 25 cents per word, just to give you an idea. Freelance translators are desperate out there.

You're dealing with the stress/anxiety/depression and your health. But you clearly have to make a change on the job front. Get laid off, get unemployment, and start making some moves. 

oh_so_moody View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote oh_so_moody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:03pm
P.U.S.H

Pray Until Somethin (else) Happens
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by maysay1 maysay1 wrote:

Yup, I realize that now. I wish I had before I got me a gym membership with a personal trainer, though. That alone is costing me. But I've already told folks that I will not be generous at Christmas
Exactly. And that's the heart of the problem. What I really wanted was to translate books (self-help, how to's, novels etc...) But it's damn near impossible without connections. And I have a former boss who hates me to the point of wanting to sabotage my future endeavours
No. I did that for the past 2 1/2 years at home, until I saw my clientele shrink and my revenues dwindle. Which is why I took a job at a company in the first place, a few months ago, to make ends meet. I have a mortgage to pay. I keep getting offers in my mailbox for freelance translation but they are ridiculous (I got one the other day from a Chicago agency offering me 9 cents per word! My usual fee hovers between 20 and 25 cents per word, just to give you an idea. Freelance translators are desperate out there.

1. When I say cut back, I mean be RADICAL. See how much it will cost you to get out of the gym membership/training. Paying a termination fee now is a better idea if it costs less than continuing out your contract. Everything should be cut down to the minimum...no christmas gifts, no eating out, no nothing. Eat rice and beans and pb&j, heat only the room you're in, get a roommate if you have to, etc etc. It's only for now, you can do it.

2. About connections. First off, forget the former boss. Let your work speak for itself. If you don't have any connections now, how can you make some? Can you get on linkedin? Can you attend publishing conferences to meet people? Look at schools that offer translation education programs...can you take a class there and use that to tap into the resources from professors/career services? Or just go and talk to people there? Can you make yourself a professional landing page on the web and market yourself that way? I feel like there is a lot you can do here and maybe getting laid off will give you the time to actually do it. Freelancing is hard but it can be done (and you've done it before so at least you know you can). Have you checked out the blog Iwillteachyoutoberich? It's a great blog with a lot of free resources that might help you.

3. I get you have a mortgage and I'm definitely not an advocate for anyone being underpaid for their work. But do what you have to do if things get desperate. But I don't think you should have to do that if you really get out there.
rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:08pm

Business Analysts write a lot of documentation and the ability to translate would be a plus

IT would have a lot of translation needs for requirements, functional specs, runbooks, project planning, operating procedures to name a few ... huge amount of documentation

we're brainstorming
r0ck_starr View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r0ck_starr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:16pm
I'm going through this right now. I just graduated from college and it seems like the only jobs that I've been able to find are in retail. I've just quit two jobs since I graduated in June because I just couldn't take it anymore (the mall was in an extremely rough area). I just feel like there is something better out there for me (I'm applying to grad school for the fall and applied to a full time teaching position that I just interviewed for in the fall as well). Unfortunately, I'll need my moms help financially right now but working at the store had me depressed everyday. I just need to clear my head, study for these tests and find part time hustles in the meantime and not worry about everybody else. 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by maysay1<div><br></div><div><br></div>
[/QUOTE maysay1

[/QUOTE wrote:

[/QUOTE]

1. When I say cut back, I mean be RADICAL. See how much it will cost you to get out of the gym membership/training. Paying a termination fee now is a better idea if it costs less than continuing out your contract. Everything should be cut down to the minimum...no christmas gifts, no eating out, no nothing. Eat rice and beans and pb&j, heat only the room you're in, get a roommate if you have to, etc etc. It's only for now, you can do it.
I hear you. I definitely will be cutting down. As for the gym and personal trainer, it's too late, though. I had a certain window of time by law where I could cancel the contract and that time has expired. They're getting their money and there's nothing I can do about it (pre authorized payments too). As for everything else, I'm considering renting out my condo and going to live with my sister for a while. I've been through hard times before, I know the drill. I'm just depressed about STILL being in that same situation at my age. It's like things never progress.

2. About connections. First off, forget the former boss. Let your work speak for itself. If you don't have any connections now, how can you make some? Can you get on linkedin? Can you attend publishing conferences to meet people? Look at schools that offer translation education programs...can you take a class there and use that to tap into the resources from professors/career services? Or just go and talk to people there? Can you make yourself a professional landing page on the web and market yourself that way? I feel like there is a lot you can do here and maybe getting laid off will give you the time to actually do it. Freelancing is hard but it can be done (and you've done it before so at least you know you can). Have you checked out the blog Iwillteachyoutoberich? It's a great blog with a lot of free resources that might help you.

Good suggestions, I haven't completed my profile on LInkedIn, i should do this in the coming days. There are conferences/workshops given by the Translator's Association but they are not usually free, although i will try to go to some anyway. But I'm skeptical about the freelancing thing. I really gave it my all when I was working from home. Great advice, though. I will follow up on some of the things you mentioned. I guess another major problem is that this whole thing (along with my personal life) is making me feel like a failure right now. It's like it's sending me over the edge. But I will keep consulting
3. I get you have a mortgage and I'm definitely not an advocate for anyone being underpaid for their work. But do what you have to do if things get desperate. But I don't think you should have to do that if you really get out there.
[/QUOTE] At 9 cents per word? Naw, I might as well go harvest cotton in Alabama at that rate. No matter how nuch work I take on, it will never be enough. People are lowering the fees this drastically because of globalization and the fact that this type of work can be done with an Internet connection. Same situation as IT personnel in India, for example. But if push comes to shove, I'll give it another go. I just need to not let myself get engulfed in depression.

Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Dec 08 2012 at 2:18pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>