Perfect Hair Collection

when is racism worst?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 8:45am
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I don't expect others to give too much of a damn but I do wish my own did not speak so harshly about one another

worse part is when they do so and praise whites at the same time

when many do this I wonder if they even know any white people

That's because they allow the racist media to educate them instead of learning for themselves. The media rarely shows the millions of whites who live in poverty, but they love showing and comparing impoverished blacks from urban areas to middle class whites in the suburbs. It's so pervasive that people think that's the whole truth.

Their mantra: Whites are better, docile, live in clean neighborhoods and go to the best scools. They don’t have problems with drugs or alcohol, we as blacks therefore, as the exact opposite of whites should try to figure out why we're not like them and do better.
Sponsored Links

SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:21am

yes afro and melikely

you see it on here all the time

it is really sad
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:24am
I understand what you were saying

I know a lot of dark women are sick and tired of being depicted as miserable and self-loathing but I still think that we as Black women have to be careful of not dismissing the experience of other Black women... we are not monolith, it's okay for documentaries to explore the downside of some our experiences

But like I said, I can understand your opposition to Dark Girls in particular. It wasn't inclusive of all Black women's experiences so it felt unbalanced but I think that was the point. It wants the viewer to feel how serious the issue really is

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

wait chill, I think you have misunderstood I didn't dismiss color-ism I was acknowledging that it was an issue as a product of institutional and internalized racism... I was just also saying for my personalized experience that this was not my race burden growing up. I was just using that as an example. for the question in this thread.
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 9:54am
I think for me I expect racism from other races.. and when it comes from my Own race its a lot of hurtful and at times Shocking~ lets take the subtleties for example when your ( Beautiful Rich Toned African Boyfriend searches for the lightest parts of his body on his arms that have not been exposed to the SUN stating see this is my TRUE "Color") as if the slightest "lite" in his brown skin somehow validates him or makes him more HUMAN? or something
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:05am
I can't say whether it's worse from your own race or others. Sadly I expect all people to be stupid so I'm never shocked.  

I think it's worse when it comes from your family.  When someone is raved about and another one is not.  When your mama is combing your hair talking about it in a negative tone.  I was most recently hurt when my brother said a generalizing statement about black women.  I kicked him out my house and told him not to ever put me and our mama down in front of my children sons.  I think he was a little shocked because he didn't say anything terrible but it was negative nonetheless.

I personally have never rejoiced of light tears or dark tears but I don't equate colorism with racism.  I think racism is more devastating than colorism because usually with the latter, can't nobody really oppress the other end of the color spectrum but we all affected by racism as a whole.
ThatGurlD View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ThatGurlD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:14am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

I understand what you were saying

I know a lot of dark women are sick and tired of being depicted as miserable and self-loathing but I still think that we as Black women have to be careful of not dismissing the experience of other Black women... we are not monolith, it's okay for documentaries to explore the downside of some our experiences

But like I said, I can understand your opposition to Dark Girls in particular. It wasn't inclusive of all Black women's experiences so it felt unbalanced but I think that was the point. It wants the viewer to feel how serious the issue really is

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

wait chill, I think you have misunderstood I didn't dismiss color-ism I was acknowledging that it was an issue as a product of institutional and internalized racism... I was just also saying for my personalized experience that this was not my race burden growing up. I was just using that as an example. for the question in this thread.

Side note:  What's not your burden can become your burden when you have children.  The black man's burden was not my personal experience obviously but when I then 6-year-old son asked me if he was going to be killed, it became my burden.  I have sat in the barbershop where my hubby works and listened to dark-skinned men go in on him "but you don't know about that lightskin" and joke on him to the point where they were damn near undermining his manhood.  At the same time, my son who is dark like me has said crying, "I wish I was handsome like Daddy."  

All these issues become our collective issues when we operate as a people and not as individuals.  I agree that the light skin struggle hasn't been as told as much, especially as it pertains to men who are sometimes seen as less of a man because of their shade.  Obviously because it was considered a plus, profitable and desirable for so long but it's not all roses as many of us know.  

I'd love it if blacks came out and talked more about the double and triple minority (black + woman; black + LGBTQ etc.)  We keep recycling the same sagas but we're not telling the full story.  There's a lot of pain and isolation that is hardly even acknowledged or joked off.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:23am

There's a lot of pain and isolation that is hardly even acknowledged or joked off.

Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:29am
it's true that we have to have a collective responsibility and make our brother and sister's problems our problems.. create space for healing but at the same time we can't have a full understanding of what the effects and affects of Race based oppression without understanding the source and how this is played out a reinforced   
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 10:48am
Originally posted by melikey melikey wrote:

Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

I don't expect others to give too much of a damn but I do wish my own did not speak so harshly about one another

worse part is when they do so and praise whites at the same time

when many do this I wonder if they even know any white people

That's because they allow the racist media to educate them instead of learning for themselves. The media rarely shows the millions of whites who live in poverty, but they love showing and comparing impoverished blacks from urban areas to middle class whites in the suburbs. It's so pervasive that people think that's the whole truth.

Their mantra: Whites are better, docile, live in clean neighborhoods and go to the best schools. They don’t have problems with drugs or alcohol, we as blacks therefore, as the exact opposite of whites should try to figure out why we're not like them and do better.
All of this.Star

Like Samone said, for most of your life you learn all about the great parts of yts and barely any positive regarding Blacks. That + what melikey said can equal a hot pot of self hate/shame and an attempt to distance oneself from their own people and their Blackness.

...But wasn't that the plan all along?
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 7:00pm
it may be the plan but its not ok
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12