Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

when is racism worst?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: when is racism worst?
    Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:01am
Is it worst when it comes from your own race? Or when it comes from other races? I was just thinking how as much internalized and institutionalized stuff we have deal with everyday and how so much of it is so ingrained that we don't even recognize it.
I've never watched the Dark-girls documentary because its never been my personal burden, (plus I get a daily dose of color-ism almost daily on BHM) and I felt like it reinforced negative stereotypes and I didn't want to embrace that...
with so many race issues I just wonder how other people feel? is it worst when you get it from your own or do you understand it more and let it go more easy?
Sponsored Links

Blac1Chyna View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blac1Chyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:05am
psychologically when it comes from ur kind

financially when it comes from yts

black folks can hurt ur feelings, yt folks will with ur $$$
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:19am
You're not every Black girl and who are you to dismiss someone else's experience

This  is why a lot of Black girls suffer in silent... they are afraid that other Black people will shame them for being honest and mistake that with being weak

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Is it worst when it comes from your own race? Or when it comes from other races? I was just thinking how as much internalized and institutionalized stuff we have deal with everyday and how so much of it is so ingrained that we don't even recognize it.
I've never watched the Dark-girls documentary because its never been my personal burden, (plus I get a daily dose of color-ism almost daily on BHM) and I felt like it reinforced negative stereotypes and I didn't want to embrace that...
with so many race issues I just wonder how other people feel? is it worst when you get it from your own or do you understand it more and let it go more easy?
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:22am

I didn't read where she said colorism doesn't happen or that it wasn't a big deal
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 2:40am
wait chill, I think you have misunderstood I didn't dismiss color-ism I was acknowledging that it was an issue as a product of institutional and internalized racism... I was just also saying for my personalized experience that this was not my race burden growing up. I was just using that as an example. for the question in this thread.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 4:10am

I don't watch those type of documentaries either but that doesn't mean I am dismissing colorism

but this is starting to get off topic

Edited by SamoneLenior - May 19 2014 at 4:11am
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote naturesgift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 5:06am
I totally understand what you are saying.. I also understand some people maybe very sensitive to this topic that is why I wanted to clarify
Midna View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Midna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 6:58am
I don't like to quantify racism. Its presence alone automatically labels things as at their worst in my eyes.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 7:02am

both can be very damaging

I wish black pride and an appreciation for black history was regularly taught in very black household

I really feel like this is a major reason why we as a group can take 1 step forward but still end up taking 5 steps back at the same time

I don't expect others to give too much of a damn but I do wish my own did not speak so harshly about one another

worse part is when they do so and praise whites at the same time

when many do this I wonder if they even know any white people

Edited by SamoneLenior - May 19 2014 at 7:03am
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 19 2014 at 7:39am
And that's the crux of the matter doc

There's a lot of commentary from observation, idolisation, fetishisation (yes people fetishise pakehas too) and general uninformed perspectives
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style