Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

What's Wrong With Math Education in the U.S.?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
iliveforbhm View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 6:39pm
Math and everything is easy for me since I created, simply I AM.
Sponsored Links

mzsophisticated View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mzsophisticated Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 7:15pm
I hate math especially once i got in high school...i only had 1 great math teacher which was for algebra 2 and i always aced exams and class work....trig and pre calc was such a struggle...ugh.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NARSAddict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Math is the language of the universe is the best way to show someone how important math is. We can communicate through numbers vs words.

Oh, I understand the importance of math. I'm just saying that some people are not naturally inclined to do well in math. Must be a right brain, left brain thing, I don't know. I always excelled at literature and languages but math and physics always were a stumbling block. For some people, it's the opposite and math comes easy to them.

I am hella late in responding but I have to disagree.  You tend to be good in the "arts" because you practiced for so many hours at it and maybe people subconsciously promoted that girls should stay in soft arts and boys stay in math and science.  I am somewhat paraphrasing a section of Malcolm Gladwell's book.
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 10:31pm
During my formative math edu years I was treated horribly by my white teachers since I was either the only black kid in a room full of Asians or on a good school year 1 of 2 or 3...I never really recovered from it and I've been mathematically challenged ever since.  We also weren't allowed to bring home textbooks.  I wish I was good at math...my old poli sci professor would always joke that we're social science majors because we suck at math.  
mangachan View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mangachan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:11am
I am a visual learner and I didn't really understand all that entailed until liiiiike, this year. LOL  Math is typically not taught in a way that is effective for me.  I don't think most teachers really care to help out students who don't "get it."  They just tell you to "go do your homework." 
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:25am
From my experience it seems to me like English teachers are the only ones that really enjoy teaching.
eanaj5 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote eanaj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:47am
i cant with math. im super remedial. if aint about counting money, well...

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 7:49am
It's sad that so many people do not understand the beauty of math. It's apart of our culture and heritage.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:18am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Math is the language of the universe is the best way to show someone how important math is. We can communicate through numbers vs words.

Oh, I understand the importance of math. I'm just saying that some people are not naturally inclined to do well in math. Must be a right brain, left brain thing, I don't know. I always excelled at literature and languages but math and physics always were a stumbling block. For some people, it's the opposite and math comes easy to them.

I am hella late in responding but I have to disagree.  You tend to be good in the "arts" because you practiced for so many hours at it and maybe people subconsciously promoted that girls should stay in soft arts and boys stay in math and science.  I am somewhat paraphrasing a section of Malcolm Gladwell's book.

Nope. Trust me. As hard as I tried (and I had to because my father was relentless), it just never sunk in. Whereas in the arts, I'd be at the top of my classes without even trying that hard. It could be that my teachers had a way of teaching that was too conventional for me. I could never see the big picture.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iliveforbhm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 28 2014 at 11:26am
I wished I could've taught you. Math was easy and when I decided not to do shyt in school i got left behind and taught myself and when I started studying physics and there laid out the beauty for math. I think people who teach must have a physics background and world religion background(no propaganda just straight truth) and business/economic and psychology background.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic