Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedWhats Wrong With Math Education in the U.S.?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 3:22pm
I like math for practical purposes, it's extremely dull on its own. I use it as a means to an end for problem solving. That's it.
Sponsored Links

EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 3:25pm
^no other professions exist

I had one great math teacher my entire academic career. If she had been my math teacher from the first moment I started school to when I ended I undoubtedly would have been a math major.  She made math so simple for me.  It's like everything she said made perfect sense. It was amazing.

But she was just a great teacher.
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 3:32pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

That is so Haitian of you. They are so closed minded to anything else. It's like everything else is a colossal waste of time when you go to college. My brother was actually admitted to med school and considered it but since he doesn't like blood, he turned to computer science. He was just a brilliant student all around, though.

My sis ended up studying engineering but she studied her ass off and sweated bullets to get that diploma. And she didn't remain an engineer because she wasn't that good at it anyways. She did it more because of family pressure and because that's what her friends were doing. Myself, I simply sucked at it.
Random Thoughts View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 3:37pm

I had one great math teacher my entire academic career. If she had been my math teacher from the first moment I started school to when I ended I undoubtedly would have been a math major.  She made math so simple for me.  It's like everything she said made perfect sense. It was amazing.

For me, it always made sense when my math teachers were explaining it to me. I was hardly ever lost while in class. It was when I went home and looked at my chicken scratch notes that I didn't get it.

Edited by Random Thoughts - Feb 26 2014 at 3:38pm
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 3:40pm
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

For me, it always made sense when my math teachers were explaining it to me. I was hardly ever lost while in class. It was when I went home and looked at my chicken scratch notes that I didn't get it.

Math never made sense to me in any situation and I don't remember much of what I learned anyway. Hell, I even have the Everyday math for dummies book on a shelf.
EPITOME View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

That is so Haitian of you. They are so closed minded to anything else. It's like everything else is a colossal waste of time when you go to college. My brother was actually admitted to med school and considered it but since he doesn't like blood, he turned to computer science. He was just a brilliant student all around, though.

My sis ended up studying engineering but she studied her ass off and sweated bullets to get that diploma. And she didn't remain an engineer because she wasn't that good at it anyways. She did it more because of family pressure and because that's what her friends were doing. Myself, I simply sucked at it.

Oh I wasn't agreeing w/that statement. I was just saying that's how Haitian parents thinkLOL
juniper angel View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 5:27pm
Math is evil the basics I understand then they start adding extra symbols I go blank . never been good at math idk y I want to be great but cant.
iliveforbhm View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 6:39pm
Math and everything is easy for me since I created, simply I AM.
mzsophisticated View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 26 2014 at 7:15pm
I hate math especially once i got in high school...i only had 1 great math teacher which was for algebra 2 and i always aced exams and class work....trig and pre calc was such a struggle...ugh.
NARSAddict View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 27 2014 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by iliveforbhm iliveforbhm wrote:

Math is the language of the universe is the best way to show someone how important math is. We can communicate through numbers vs words.

Oh, I understand the importance of math. I'm just saying that some people are not naturally inclined to do well in math. Must be a right brain, left brain thing, I don't know. I always excelled at literature and languages but math and physics always were a stumbling block. For some people, it's the opposite and math comes easy to them.

I am hella late in responding but I have to disagree.  You tend to be good in the "arts" because you practiced for so many hours at it and maybe people subconsciously promoted that girls should stay in soft arts and boys stay in math and science.  I am somewhat paraphrasing a section of Malcolm Gladwell's book.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic