Perfect Hair Collection

What's the deal with Ricahrd Sherman?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's the deal with Ricahrd Sherman?
    Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:24pm
Did we discuss that?

Post raw footage if you have it.

This article alerted me to it. As of now, the article has 736 comments which I intend to skim through.

http://www.nola.com/opinions/index.ssf/2014/01/richard_sherman_called_the_mos.html#incart_most-comments

Richard Sherman called the most horrible things by folks who insist that's not racism: Jarvis DeBerry

Richard Sherman
Seattle Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman (25) celebrates after the NFC divisional playoff game between the New Orleans Saints and Seattle Seahawks at CenturyLink Field in Seattle on Saturday, January 11, 2014. (Michael DeMocker, Nola.com / The Times-Picayune) (Michael DeMocker, Nola.com / The Times-Picayune))
Jarvis DeBerry, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune By Jarvis DeBerry, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on January 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM, updated January 22, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Richard Sherman went off Sunday, and when I say off, I mean all the way off. The Seattle Seahawks cornerback broke up what would have been a last-minute, game-winning touchdown pass to 49er's wide receiver Michael Crabtree, and then Sherman, with words and throat-choking gestures, let Crabtree know his low opinion of Crabtree's receiving skills. During the post-game interview with reporter Erin Andrews, Sherman was still woofing, going on and on about how great he is and how utterly ridiculous it was for the 49ers to throw a pass his direction - he being the league's best corner - with the Super Bowl at stake.

Here are some words that fit Sherman - at least in that moment: "egotist," "blowhard," "bra rt," maybe even "preening jerk" and "jackass." But some folks put out by his over-the-top performance said harsher things on social media outlets. To them, Sherman's trash talking made him a "fricken jungle monkey," "an ignorant ape," an "f---ing gorilla." Then there were the words "cocky," "gorilla," "typical," "dumb," "disrespectful," "no class," "irrogant" and "high-payed" (sic and sic) all used to modify a certain racial epithet that begins with n.

The person who tweeted that Sherman needs to be admitted to "an animal hospital because he is a f----ng gorilla" ended the post with the hashtag #noracismintended. Seriously. Other critics of Sherman's were similarly certain of their non-racism even as they were throwing about loaded racial language.

That's not the way the world works, folks. You don't get to call a black man a gorilla and then absolve your own self of racism.

I settled on a name for this feature, "That's not racism," well before that hashtag was created. I chose the name because of the prevalence of people who say and believe obviously racist things and then insist that it wasn't racism. If using racially-charged epithets isn't racism, and the folks who use them to insult others aren't racist, then what is racism? And who is racist?

Hours before Sunday's NFC Championship Game, I was preparing to give a presentation to students who had come from across the state to Metairie's Grace King High School for a meeting of the Louisiana Association of Student Councils. The girl who showed me around campus said she'd scored high on the ACT but was unsure if she could get into Stanford. That university, with a 5.69 percent acceptance rate, has pulled out in front of Harvard as America's most selective campus.

Sherman went to Stanford. Not only did he go to Stanford, but he did well and graduated. Not only did he do well and graduate, but he also stayed around and earned a master's degree. All that speaks to his intelligence. His on-field play speaks to his work ethic. So how exactly is he "lazy and stupid" as at least one Twitter user suggested?

Last year, after the shooting at the Mother's Day second line in New Orleans, I wrote of my frustration with selecting nouns to talk about the people who are responsible for gun violence in our city. I had considered "thugs," I said, but almost never use that word because it has become racially loaded, a more acceptable substitute for a forbidden epithet. The folks who've now labeled Sherman a thug make my point. There are plenty fitting descriptors for Sherman's behavior Sunday, but how you could arrive at thug is beyond me.

Sherman did appear to be crazy Sunday, but it seems more the case he was crazy like a fox. His brother said his gesture to Crabtree - extending his hand as if to shake it - was meant to remind the wide receiver of a party last summer when Crabtree had refused to shake his hand. As somebody who was drafted far later than he thinks was respectful - fifth round, 154th pick - and is about to be negotiating for a new contract, Sherman wants the world to see that none of the 27 defensive backs picked before him is as good as he is.

When I get to the NFL, I'm gonna destroy the league, as soon as they give me the chance." -- Seattle's Richard Sherman's on being drafted so low.

Speaking of his draft-day experience, Sherman told Yahoo.com in a December 2012 interview, "I celebrated because my family was happy and the dream had been realized. I wasn't gonna ruin that moment for my family. But in the back of my mind, I was livid. ... I was like, 'When I get to the NFL, I'm gonna destroy the league, as soon as they give me the chance.' And that's what I've been doing ever since."

Call him arrogant. Call his behavior outrageous. Call him out-of-line and unsportsmanlike. But don't call him an animal out of the jungle and expect reasonable folks to believe that that's not racism.

Jarvis DeBerry can be reached at jdeberry@nola.com. Follow him at twitter.com/jarvisdeberry.

Edited by liesnalibis - Jan 28 2014 at 1:32pm
Sponsored Links

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:25pm
I like him.....Go Seahawks!
PurplePhase View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PurplePhase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:29pm
his parents were on Piers last night.

no I just checked and they had tech difficulties and only the brother was on.

Edited by PurplePhase - Jan 28 2014 at 1:31pm
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:37pm
Are we talking about that rant after the game last week?

If so, I don't get why his comments/actions are being blown out of proportion

He was caught in the heat of his win and was passionate about that man not talking about him...it's not that serious.

Isn't this the machoism America condones in sports? Put a hidden camera in some of these homes this Sunday and I guarantee you'll see a similar slew of emotions...

Bored w/Out Me? View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bored w/Out Me? Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:37pm
Leave Richard alone...
EasterBell View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (8) Thanks(8)   Quote EasterBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:38pm
Nothing wrong with him.. The ones with the problem are the ones that took a passionate and real interview as an excuse to justify being racist pricks..

While they were trying to belittle the dude, some of them didn't even realize that the dude graduated #2 in his high school class and graduated from Stanford with Honors.. So, yes, a lot of them were left with their feet in their mouths..

I personally saw nothing wrong with what he said.. He didn't curse or any of that.. Dude just got back at Crabtree and made Crabtree put his foot in his mouth.. I was all there for it..LOL

Edited by EasterBell - Jan 28 2014 at 1:46pm
Marcelo22 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Marcelo22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:39pm
It's over now and he got all the real niccas support. The coons are with the racist whites throwing shots cause he not on their team. He already got verbal support from one of the GOAT athletes of all time Hank Aaron and he's set up to make 5 million in endorsements. I think big Sherm is good to go.
EasterBell View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote EasterBell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:40pm
Don't get it twisted though, Broncos going to win the Super Bowl on Sunday..
mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:40pm
Yep just got that beats endorsement........my nucca!
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 28 2014 at 1:41pm
people overreacted but he ain't gonna talk about my nga Crabtree like that again.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
  Share Topic