Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Growth (Newbies)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

Whats happening to my hair?!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Bootiful Cream

Author
Kayshaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayshaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whats happening to my hair?!
    Posted: May 01 2014 at 3:24pm
okay so about 3 years ago my hair was full of volume and all bouncy and everything ( I have more of a loose afro like curl about half way down my back ) but lately whilst showering sooooooo much hair is coming out when I say lately I mean in the last year and now my hair is now is pretty flat like my curl type has really loosened out but it's super flat at the top and roots .. Plus my roots are coming out really straight I don't understand how that even happens and my edges are going craaaaaaazy like super breakage , I've cut it to just past my shoulders deep conditioned , only brushed with a wide tooth comb while it's wet , coconut oil , argan oil I've tried everything and my hairs just ruined .. So my question is how do you restore your hair ? Or get your roots less flat and get my curl type back to tighter ,and what should I use for hair growth ? I need advise fast this is just getting worse / before everyone asks yes my hair has been dyed and parts had been bleached in the past but not in the last couple years and my hair was fine back then ... Ahhh .
Sponsored Links

pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 3:35pm
What is the regimen you practiced when you started noticeing the breakage. Did you wear weaves or braids? What products were you using? How do you style your hair most of the time? Are you pulling your hair tight? Limp curls sound like you have some form of product buildup. This can be protein overload, build up of silicones,or build up of oils. How often do you cleanse your hair, and what with?

Edited by pinkecube - May 01 2014 at 3:37pm
Kayshaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayshaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 3:44pm
No weave or braids and I don't style my hair a lot I just wear it down all the time , wash it twice a week and just plate it when I'm going to bed , I was just using dark and lovely shampoo and their conditioner then just apply coconut oil or some other type of natural oil to get it soft , I also deep condition it once a week ... Recently I've been trying to use the all natural henna deep conditioner to fix it , it made it softer but no lock with my hair it just seems to be thinning and falling out when I brush it like it's not patches or anything you can just tell it's becoming a LOT thinner I feel like half my hairs gone
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:36pm
how does your hair feel when it's dry? Is it brittle and limp? Do you notice your hair feels stripped after washing? That shampoo has sulfates. Also, do you use a leave in conditioner? Oil isn't enough. Deep conditioning is good, but i would limit the henna treatments.

It sounds like you need to seal with something better than coconut oil. Also, many people's hair doesn't like coconut. It absorbs into the hair and plasticizes the hair cortex. It is also an astringent, and it repels water. Ultimately it can build up and weigh down your hair. I also think it isn't the best thing to seal if your hair feels dry, since it is an astringent. I would use a botanical gel or custard.

The Number 1 thing you need to do is stop using those dark and lovely products immediately. Especially the shampoo. The conditioner and shampoos have mineral oil, wax, sulfates, and polyquats. also a quaternary ammonium salt which builds up on the hair after several uses.

I would definitely, definitely, not use their shampoo. It contains sodium hydroxide, aka lye which dissolves the hair in water based products, no matter the percentage because the effect is accumulative and depends on how sensitive your hairtype is. I know this from experience to break hair. I was using ecostyler and wetline gel and they both formed lye compounds on my hair, and caused me to have a bald spot for almost a year. The sodium hydroxide could also be what is loosening your curl pattern. So drop the dark and lovely products.

Shampoo Ingredients

Water , Cocamidopropyl Betaine , Sodium Laureth Sulfate , PPG 5 Ceteth 10 Phosphate , Cocamide MEA , Polysorbate 20 , Glycol Stearate , Fragrance , Sodium Chloride , Polyquaternium 7 , PEG/PPG/Polybutene Glycol 8/5/3 Glycerin , Sodium Benzoate , Methylparaben , Salicylic Acid , Polyquaternium 10 , Ethylparaben , Panthenol , Hexadimethrine Chloride , Hexyl Cinnamal , Sodium Hydroxide , Linalool , Limonene , Geraniol , Citric Acid

Cocamide MEA + some acidic ingredient (to lower the ph since it is very high)+ water based and heat= Lye salt and sodium hydroxide is already lye salt.

And just look how many stripping ingredients are in this product, its ridiculous. Some of them wouldn't be that bad, but it combination, its like dumping a pile of salt on your head. This shampoo is extremely drying.

Edited by pinkecube - May 01 2014 at 5:04pm
Kayshaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayshaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:39pm
So what products/shampoo would you recommend , I find it hard to find a leave in conditioner that isn't heavy and doesn't weight down my hair .. What shampoos/conditioners would you recommend ? And yeah dry and limp and super straight and flat at the roots but then like going frizzy near the bottom like my curls are even turning in to frizz
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by Kayshaaa Kayshaaa wrote:

So what products/shampoo would you recommend , I find it hard to find a leave in conditioner that isn't heavy and doesn't weight down my hair .. What shampoos/conditioners would you recommend ? And yeah dry and limp and super straight and flat at the roots but then like going frizzy near the bottom like my curls are even turning in to frizz

I'm going to forward you to this regimen, the max hydration method.

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page1.html

I recommend kinky curly knot today or trader joes tea tree tingle. They are both thick conditioners, and contain no drying ingredients. You water down the conditioner for all the steps that involve conditioner in the regimen, like this:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page26.html

And here are product recommendations for the regimen:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/the-max-hydration-methodfrom-my-other-post_topic368937_page10.html
Kayshaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayshaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:50pm
And suggestions to how to tie my hair at night also ? And how many times a week should I wash it right now it's 2
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 4:56pm
the regimen for the first week you want to do your hair ever day to jumpstart moisture retention levels. After that every 1-3 days or twice a week. As for tying your hair, you could tuck and rool your hair into french rolls, or just put it in two low buns with a sleeping bonnet or satin pillow case, when you are not deep conditioning.

Edited by pinkecube - May 01 2014 at 4:57pm
Kayshaaa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kayshaaa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 5:11pm
It's so hard to find these damn products when you don't live in the US I just went to find the curl knot stuff and they won't ship here :(
pinkecube View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkecube Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2014 at 5:18pm
http://www.curlyemporium.co.uk/kinky-curly-knot-today-8oz/

do you live in britain? See above link^
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarf
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon