Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

What was the neighborhood you grew up in like?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Joja1107 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Joja1107 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 7:56pm
Detroit- nice neighborhood most everyone had 4bd brick homes with fireplaces. The house directly across the street had an inground swimming pool. Not really any apartments around. You may find a 2 family flat or Duplex here or there.  It was all black.....well except a white boy who was adopted by a black family. But we considered him black too.LOL

It's hideous now.....well not hideous but it's pretty bad.
Sponsored Links

maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:00pm
First, I lived in the projects. Then, Inglewood (if you've seen the movie The Wood, that's it). Then, spent the rest of it in the neighborhood, around the corner, where the movie Friday was filmed/took place.

So lots of black folk. Lots of kids around generally. A mix of apartments and houses. Still mostly poor/working class. Somewhat dangerous.

mizzsandra00 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mizzsandra00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:04pm
Similar to Crooklyn.....idk how else to explain it.....lol.....its was fun and hood.....
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:19pm
y'all should post pix too
maysay1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote maysay1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:46pm
Ladyice you done posted Randy's. I don't what happened but back in the day...Randy's donuts were the ish. Now, ugh. I used to teach at a school around the corner from there and went to get a doughnut after not having one for years and I was so disappointed.

The newest Roscoe's, the one Obama visited, is just down the street from there now.

You probably remember when they changed the courthouse name to Thurgood Marshall in honor of him after he died. I used to love the library that's next to there.
bunzaveli View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote bunzaveli Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

What was the racial make up? were the houses big or small or were there only apartments? Were there kids your age you played with? Did you enjoy the enviornment you grew up in? Any stories?

99% black, houses small, i wasnt allowed to play outside cause of Brothas and crack heads, i enjoyed the safety of my living room and my sega.

to many stories
ms_wonderland View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ms_wonderland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:50pm
the thing that I loved and hated about my neighborhood was that it was multi generational ...lots of family members living in the house so there were a lot of kids but everyone had those cracked aunties ass uncle's or molester uncle's ...everyone lived in their grandparents house.  It's hard for any independent family to move in.  Avg house sells for $670k.  And these houses all suck, very few have been touched since the original fam moved in. 
sexyandfamous View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sexyandfamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 8:57pm
Originally posted by _ConcreteRose_ _ConcreteRose_ wrote:

What was the racial make up? were the houses big or small or were there only apartments? Were there kids your age you played with? Did you enjoy the enviornment you grew up in? Any stories?

Mostly white, but I didn't grow up in the US, so there was never a racial issue. Mostly apartment buildings; I never played with any kids in my neighborhood, and the people in our building disliked us because we were actually very loud, since we were a big family.
I enjoyed my neighborhood because it was clean, had lots of trees, good clean air, safe, mostly families..
kerysdream7 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kerysdream7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:04pm
My neighborhood was like 60% Hispanic, 30% Jamaican and 10% Blacks. My friends were either Jamaican or Hispanic. Pretty idyllic South Florida neighborhood. 

Nice quiet neighborhood. My grandmother still lives in the same house. 

Everyone got along & all the kids went to each others birthday parties & such. I've never had a white friend.

Lived in an average sized 3/2 house with a nice sized yard. Our grass was/is so lush & green. I loved playing outside. When it rained in the summer & the adults weren't home we would put on shower caps and go playing in the rain.  
petiteone29 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote petiteone29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 03 2014 at 9:08pm
I grew up in the hood for the first 10 years of my life. One of the toughest hoods in DC. Lets just say that I have seen people get shot and stabbed right in front of my face. The DC version of paid in full I guess. Almost all of the dudes I knew are dead. Nothing fazes me after some of the things that I have seen. Then I lived in the suburbs in a nice big house with a fenced in yard and a 4 car garage and upper middle class black folks. I appreciate being on both sides of the fence. 

Oh yeah we had a candy lady who was also the bootleg liquor lady. She was my god mother. The ice cream truck sold cigarettesLOL 

Edited by petiteone29 - Jul 03 2014 at 9:14pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>