Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

What do You Make of the Korryn Gaines Death?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do You Make of the Korryn Gaines Death?
    Posted: Aug 03 2016 at 11:36pm
Not sure if you guys have seen her story all over the Internet. She was shot and killed by police in her home. Her 5 year old was shot as well and he survived. She was killed. It was supposedly a stand off and Korryn had a gun. Her bf ran out of the house with one of the other children. People seem to be calling him a cowardly black man who didn't protect his woman.

Others say she didn't care about her kids and used one as a shield. there is also video of her being pulled over for tag issues by police a couple of months ago. She recorded it and people say she was hostile to police. A lot of people aren't on her side, but I see many FB pages I follow asking for justice for Korryn and making it out like its a BLM thing.

There are videos at huffpost, Shaun King has also posted a lot of her stuff. The recording her her being pulled over by cops is at huffpost.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57a0cfbfe4b08a8e8b5f9fd4

Korryn Gaines, A 23-Year-Old Mother, Latest Black Woman Killed By Police
Many are questioning the circumstances surrounding her death.

Baltimore County police shot and killed 23-year-old Korryn Gaines in Randallstown, Maryland, on Sunday after a standoff with police negotiators in which they allege she pointed a gun at officers and threatened to kill them.

Gaines’ son, 5, was taken to the hospital and treated for gunshot wounds. He is expected to live. It is not clear whether police or Gaines fired the bullet that struck the child.

The Baltimore County Police Department said they are not sure if the officers involved were wearing body cameras at the time of the shooting; the department just began equipping officers with them last month.

On Sunday morning, the police went to serve warrants on Gaines and a man who lived with her. The mother was wanted for failing to appear in court on charges of disorderly conduct, resisting arrest and multiple traffic violations. Police said they caught the man, later identified as 39-year-old Kiean Courtney, after he ran from the home with a 1-year-old. Officers arrested him for second-degree assault and he was later released on his own recognizance.

Baltimore County Police say they knocked on the apartment door multiple times and heard voices of a man and woman inside, as well as a child crying. After no one answered, the officers retrieved a key from the landlord and opened the door.

The department alleges that Gaines was sitting on the floor and pointing a shotgun at officers while holding her 5-year-old son in her arms around 3 p.m., after an hours-long standoff.

“At that point, our detectives backed off, not only to call additional resources, but to ensure the safety of the community and bring a safe resolution to this incident,” John Wachter, Baltimore County police corporal, said during a press conference Tuesday.

Police allege that Gaines said she would kill them when she pointed the gun at them. An officer fired one round at Gaines and she fired back, according to the department. Officers said they returned fire and killed Gaines.

This story has been updated to include a statement from Wachter, information on Courtney and on the removal of Gaines’ social media accounts.

Edited by indiecat - Aug 03 2016 at 11:53pm
Sponsored Links

indiecat View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote indiecat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2016 at 11:46pm
I have a Fb friend who is very pro black who keeps talking about how we are failing black women. he's extremely angry about her death. He's quoting tupac and making topics on his page. He called her a martyr and said she should be praised.

I also ran across this

rickysrose View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rickysrose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 03 2016 at 11:47pm
This is so heart breaking that I just can't bring myself to get into the details yet, just can't
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2016 at 8:43am
Originally posted by indiecat indiecat wrote:

I have a Fb friend who is very pro black who keeps talking about how we are failing black women. he's extremely angry about her death. He's quoting tupac and making topics on his page. He called her a martyr and said she should be praised.

I also ran across this

This is all kinds of (I don't wanna use that word). I 
can't with this situation. Ignorance is dangerous. The only thing I blame him for is being with her crazy ass in the first place. 

Edited by liesnalibis - Aug 04 2016 at 8:45am
liesnalibis View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote liesnalibis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2016 at 8:48am
I think she wanted them to kill her and the child so she could be a martyr. This girl was obviously not in her right mind. Did the police have to shoot her? No they didn't. But we already know the police aren't strategizing on ways to save black people from their stupidity. She really tried it. This was a mentally ill person that was bucked up by the media. 
phattrabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote phattrabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2016 at 9:01am
I have no sympathy for her. People describing her as a "martyr" need to find a dictionary bc what she has done has not brought any justice or understanding to the situation of Black people who's rights have been violated and/or lives taken by police brutality. In my opinion, she just looks crazy, and now Black people by association will too. They already believe us to be crazy, soooo...didn't really need any help in that arena. I mean, wtf.

...AND THOSE POOR KIDS.Cry 

Edited by phattrabbit - Aug 04 2016 at 9:05am
phattrabbit View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phattrabbit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2016 at 9:07am
@liesnalibis 
Right!..he should have abandoned that ship a long time ago.

Edited by phattrabbit - Aug 04 2016 at 9:07am
thewonderfulwa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote thewonderfulwa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2016 at 8:58pm
I do not believe the law enforcement narrative.
There is no footage of course the body cam wasn't on and they requested fB and IG disable her accounts.
The man who was the father of her child is a piece of sh*t you escape with your child and leave the other there then have the gall to set up a Go fund me page.
I have seen all kinds of Caucasian people aim, shoot at and fight police and they get the opportunity to live another day.
I don't believe in 2016 you should have swat come to your house for failure to pay parking tickets but hey that's just me.
And her child has a different story but he's probably lying too.

Edited by thewonderfulwa - Aug 04 2016 at 10:32pm
callmeDEva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote callmeDEva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2016 at 10:18pm
This situation is just...strange.

The 5 year old needs counseling ASAP
newdiva1 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newdiva1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Aug 04 2016 at 11:24pm
i'm hearing conflicting accounts.  i don't know what to think.  some say she was trying to kill herself others say that the warrants were for her man and these cops were coming into her house with a key and she didn't know so of course as a woman with kids with men coming through the door you pick up a weapon. 

at least that was the talk around 7am.  I don't know what's been said since then.

if she was streaming live on FB and the police are innocent why shut down her accounts and why weren't their camera's working yet again.

Now is the time for somebody black to come up with "Save your Life" live streaming service.  You in a potential situation? Stream live with no fear of evidence being shut down by cops.

smh. 

Edited by newdiva1 - Aug 04 2016 at 11:25pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic