Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
morenaloca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do you do to save money?
    Posted: Jul 09 2011 at 5:18pm
1. I use my neighbors wifi LOl
2. When grocery shopping, I buy generic and look for coupons online. I make a list before I go, also.
3. My bf moved in with me so he's helping me with bills.
4. I watch my favorite tv shows online instead of paying for cable (I only watch Law&Order and What Not To Wear).
5. I hang dry my clothes. This started when my dryer broke and by the time it got fixed, I realized 6. how much money I saved!
7. When I shop online, I always make sure there's a promo code I can use.
8. Braid my own hair.
9. Buy plain furniture (chairs, tables, bedframe, etc)  and have my friend decorate it for me since she's in art school and loves doing that stuff.

What do you do?
Sponsored Links

Bonjour baby ooowee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bonjour baby ooowee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 8:28pm
let's see i'm on my 'fresh start' so this my 1st time living alone (yipeee)

1. I cook a big pot of greens or pinto beans or italian spaghetti or pot roast or bbq 2 slabs of ribs once a every 3mnths, then i take individual servings containers & fill @ least 9 to 11 containers & freeze (so when i get hungry INSTEAD of cooking from scratch everyday) I got the down home cookin flash frozen in my freezer & it's wayyy BETTER than marie calanders, budget gourmet or stouffers.

2.I cut the movie channels on my cable however i'm bout to get to the bottom of things cause i still don't see my 125.00mnth budget i'm working to achieve ( i get internet & direct tv)

3. I mostly eat @ home might do the taco shop once every few months :) I PREFER my throw-down lip smackin cookin!

4. PLEASE give me some more savings pointers
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 8:34pm
@bonjour have you tried netflix? My aunt gets it on her wii and she loves it. You don't have a due date for the movies Smile

Also, I applied for the CARE program that PG&E has. Basically, you pay the same amount each month. It's around $25-$30 each month if you pay attention to leaving lights off when you're not using them and stuff.

And I have my friends that work in places like DSW and clothing stores that get discounts buy stuff for me. I pay them, of course.

Edited by morenaloca - Jul 12 2011 at 8:34pm
slimjuicy View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slimjuicy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 19 2011 at 11:44am
Early 20s I learn the value of budgeting even if I do have it. When I was on my own, I didn't have cable either. I watched tv online, things like awards shows can even be stream online lol.

-During the winter months, it was so much cheaper to use space heaters than to pay additional for gas.

-The range of a pre paid phone has improved greatly over the years. I ditched sprint and got a pre paid, I can use it everywhere and pay exactly $45/month which includes everything.

-I always saved up and paid cash for cars. Nice reliable cars at that. It beats paying a hefty note a month.

-I do my hair myself and the Kiss nails looks very professional when done right. I can do my own pedicure as well.

-I shop at discounted stores and get really nice items with tags for dirt cheap. Online shopping, I use coupons too.

-I'm not a big cooker, but having a big bag of chicken breast can go a long way lol. You can usually get more for your money at a Farmer's Market.
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morenaloca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 13 2011 at 1:59pm
Update: The CARE program is better than I thought. My PG&E bill is $11/month at the most!

@slimjuicy, you're right the Farmer's Market is heaven for me since I love to cook :) And I started doing my hair myself and some ppl even asked me to braid their's. That's a little more $$$ coming in
missyo67 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote missyo67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 10 2011 at 10:07pm
I got a better paying job (raise)
I did a budget (YNAB)
I keep my expenses below my income
I buy things with cash versus credit

Working the baby steps of the total money makeover.  I listen to podcasts(iTunes) of Dave Ramsey. I also watch Suze Orman. 
Splendor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splendor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 16 2011 at 5:41pm
- I have a Boost phone now with internet access and unlimited texting all for $50.00 and soon to be $45.00 then $40.00. They cover same area as Sprint and I really have no complaints. I paid a grip with T-mobile and love this new plan.

- I keep my thermostat at 79 ...if I'm really hot and miserable I'll put it at 78. During the day I rarely turn on the a.c. I keep the ceiling fan on instead and keep a cool bottle of water nearby.

- I rent movies from redbox for the kids for $1.00.

- We buy used games at Game stop and turn in old games for credit towards the purchase.

- I bought a very nice Anne Taylor dress from the consignment store for a benefit I was attending $35.00. I also bought a ball gown from the same upscale consignment shop as well $35.00.

- I shop sales.

- I clip coupons but am not disciplined enough in this area. I know I could get more savings if I were.

- I only run dishwasher when completely full.

- I try to use things completely up before I buy more i.e. cleaning supplies, hair products etc.

I know there's more but this is all I can think of for now. I really enjoy reading these type of posts so keep at it. Smile

P.S. I also read Dave Ramsey's books and have learned a lot from him.

Edited by Splendor - Oct 16 2011 at 5:42pm
Splendor View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splendor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 22 2011 at 6:19pm
This post has GREAT potential. Come on and participate...share your savings tips
so others can be BLESSED!Smile

I forgot to add that I went thrifting the other day and bought 3 Ann Taylor tops for $3.49 each.
I also bought a jacket for my daughter & a pair of skinny jean. I spent $23.00 for a big full of clothing. I think I am going to do this more often.

Edited by Splendor - Oct 23 2011 at 12:34pm
csungrl09 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csungrl09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 23 2011 at 4:53pm
1. only buy things if they are on sale. I NEVER PAY FULL PRICE FOR ANYTHING!
2. do my own braids & twists
3. buy chicken, meat, pastas, ect in bulk
4. shop at the 99 cent store...they have everything!
5. sell old items i don't use on ebay

i need to get on my coupon game though LOL
Velvet Vee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Velvet Vee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 26 2011 at 2:52pm
1. always look at the clearance rack
2. when shopping online, I research and use promotional codes
3. I wait. I don't buy the biggest and newest thing on the market. I patiently wait about 2 months and catch the sale!!
4. When grocery shopping, I look at the unit price and not the retail price.
5. I wear wigs now, but when I wore braids and extensions, my sister did my hair for free (not the best but I didn't complain).
6. I invest in netflix. I rarely go to the movies. When I do go, I attend the $6 Tuesday special.
7. I invest in quality products (sometimes). Sometimes getting the cheapest thing may cost you more down the road. For example, I don't buy BSS hair...I like to buy hair from Kevincn which will last me than than BSS and save me money in the long run.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic