Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
CoCo Black Hair
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Natural Hair Care - Archives
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What did you do when deciding to become natural?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedWhat did you do when deciding to become natural?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
shoelady View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What did you do when deciding to become natural?
    Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 11:23am
I am strongly thinking about becoming Natural BUT i am not sure what to do and how to do it.
Did you just chop and start from the beginning? Did u chop as you went along?
What was the hardest part?
If you chopped as you went along how long did it take for you to have SL all Natural?
TIA
sorry for all the questions.
Sponsored Links

MizzBrit View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 11:29am
it depends on what you want to do..chop off at the beginning or chop it out as your natural hair grows out or just grow out your natural hair until you are comfortable with the lenght of it then chop the relaxed ends off...which is kind of what im doing. im transitoning with braids and sew ins.

Edited by MizzBrit - Apr 24 2009 at 11:30am
EasterBell View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 11:37am
Well, I am currently transitioning. I am basically chopping it off as my natural hair grows out. I have mainly been using protective styling, mainly kinky twist.
MY_EVOLUTION View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 11:50am

There are many paths you can take for this journey but It all really depends on what you are mentaly prepared to do and also whats best for you and your hair.  Some ladies do the BC and start from scratch and others choose to transition for some time and gradually cut there hair as they gain inches in new growth.  I my self did a semi BC and then transitioned with braids the rest of the way until I had about 6 inches of growth.  I did get some breakage but that was because I was unsure about how to take care of my hair with the two textures but it still turned out great. The hardest part for me (and still is) is the grow out phase and really learning how to maintain healthy hair. 

I commend you on on trying inform yourself about the process so no need to worry about to many questions.  There are many wonderful ladies who will chime in more than willing to give you answers. Smile
RoxieDream View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 11:54am
I tried going natural my freshman year of college but a lack of resources made it hard for me so i got a relaxer - had a bad run in with some color and relaxer and broke off a lot of my hair so my stylist so no more chemicals for 6 months .... 6 months turned into almost 2 years of wearing weaves and i finally just cut off my relaxed ends =)

Research is your friend Big%20smile
Rumbera View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 11:57am
There are different ways to do it ..
When I decided to transition, my hair was about shoulder length. I trimmed my hair throughout my transition. I just did the "BC" not to long ago and my hair is at the the top of my shoulder blades stretched. So, it really depends on what you are comfortable with.
shoelady View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 12:19pm
Thanks ladies for answering. 
MINKA View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 1:34pm
Yay Shoe do it !!! I know i'm always trying to recruit naturals.lol

I had no plans of wearing my natural hair out. Thats just the reality. I knew i wasn't going to relax my hair anymore so i was getting my hair pressed with caramel treatments. I did that for about 2 years, ended up relaxing and then went back to doing that for another year and half. Then i cut my hair into a bob, the recession hit and i stopped going to my stylist.lolLOL

So i was rollersetting my hair at home etcetc and one day i just decided to cut the rest of the perm off. My hair was about mid neck legnth stretched. Right now i'm grazing shoulder legnth and its been about 8 months since my BC...

You gotta do what you're mentally prepared for. Everything just sort of happened for me so i didn't have to prepare myself, it was kinda a fluke.

But i've seen your pic with the faux puff and i think you would look FIERCE with natural hair!
WNW View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 4:27pm
IA with doing what u are mentally prepared for. Otherwise you will not be completely happy with your decision. This was the case for me. I honestly just wanted a change. I really wouldnt even say I transitioned because it was kinda a snap decision. It was 4 months since Id had a relaxer and I just cut my hair off. I had a twa but I loved it. The key though is before I cut my hair I was prepared for what I was getting into and I did alot of research and asked alot of questions.
babelipsss View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 24 2009 at 6:37pm
Shoe, cutting all of your hair off is traumatic and not-needed.  It sounds cliche but transistioning is more mental than anything else.  Start off by wearing curly hairstyles only....no "straight downs".  It really helps to get used to seeing yourself in the mirror with curlier hair.  Curly styles are very forgiving so you are less likely to focus on your newgrowth as much.  Clip off the ends once a month 1/4 to 1/2 inch.  Make an anniversary date each month for evaluation.
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic