You meet a nice, attractive guy (read: H O T). He asks you out. You pick out the perfect date night outfit. You return that for a hotter date night outfit (and splurge for the shoes to match). You get your hair did, you’re rocking a serious mani and your smoky eye is blended to perfection. Yes, you’re all ready for the big night out… but did you know that one false move could totally kill the whole thing? Yes, my dears, guys have some real pet peeves when it comes to the ole dating game, and I’ve compiled the best to steer clear of from my buds.
Before you go on your next date, take note of the biggest pet peeves of some of my best dude friends:
1. "Don’t be rude to the wait staff at a restaurant.”—Kyle, 25
2. "Don’t TwitPic the entrée you just ordered on a dinner date. And, with that same entrée, don’t look at it, take one bite and say something about being full or carb conscious.”—Andrew, 30
3. "Talking about yourself way too much is the worst. There is a difference between pride and vanity.”—J, 28 (you know, my BF!)
4. "If you’re dating someone, don’t be constantly late.”—Brian, 29
5. "Not being a good conversationalist. I am pretty good at making conversation but it shouldn't be my sole responsibility to drive the convo all night. Dates can be awkward for the both us, but let's get to know each other and not be so weird about it.”—James, 28
6. "No smoking.”—Matt, 24
7. "If something’s wrong, don’t say it’s ‘nothing’. Mean what you say.”—Kyle, 25
8. "Don’t be sarcastic if I messed something up.”—Pete, 32 (aw)
9. "Not even offering (or pretending to offer) to help with the bill is a huge turn off. Don't get me wrong, I will never let a girl pay on a date, no matter how bad it is but not even offering when the bill comes like it's just expected is usually a deal breaker for me.”—James, 28
10. "Texting: don't do it at the table. Save it for the bathroom to tell your best friend how amazing the date is.”—J, 28 (By the way, on our first date I snuck into the bathroom and texted my sister, “This is the best first date I’ve ever been on!”)
And a few extra Don’ts from a lady’s (OK, my) perspective:
-Don’t make fun of your date. When I first graduated college, I met this guy and was really nervous. I was trying to seem “funny” and “cool” and started to make fun of him… but I went too far and hurt his feelings. He stopped calling.
-Don’t curse like a sailor. Yes, when I drink I throw out a few unladylike terms, but I didn’t when I first started dating J. You know, I played that whole "demure" card.
-Don’t kiss and tell. Yes, you tell your best friend everything, but it's nice to leave some things between you and your man. Although I do tell you guys most things about J…
-Don’t be afraid to go after what you want. Why is all the power in the guy’s hands? If you like him, tell him. If you want to see him, make plans. If you want that kiss already, kiss him first! If he’s not reciprocating, then he’s probably not the one for you anyway.
Well, there you have it. These are the biggest pet peeves according to my guy friends. Can you think of any others you’ve heard of? What are YOUR biggest pet peeves when it comes to men? I’ll go first: J has a habit of saying “yes” when I ask him if I look alright without ever looking away from his game of Angry Birds. Not cool!