Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
California Lace Wigs and Weaves
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Talk Archives
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedWhat are the issues with lacefronts?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
beauty05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What are the issues with lacefronts?
    Posted: Sep 19 2005 at 4:33pm

To all the current BHM lace front wearers...

I am very interested in purchasing a lacefront in the future but I want to research it fully before I decide to buy.  I did a search and looked up the lacefront related threads and all but I still would like more info.  For those having issues with  lacefronts.... 

1) What exactly are the issues/problems with the glue? 

2) Does the glue pull out your hairline? 

3) Are the chemicals in the glue safe for regular use and long term wear? 

4) How good is the glue remover. Does the glue remover, remove all the glue from both the wig and your real hair?

5) Do you experience alot of shedding from the lacefront since the lace is fragile?

6) How long can you wear it before the glue starts to wear off?

7) If you used tape to hold down the front of the lace front, does that method look as natural as using glue?

Since they are so expensive, my thing is that if it is difficult to glue the lacefront or if the lacefront is difficult to put on, and the units wear out very quickly, it kind of defeats the purpose of spending all that money.  I'm also afraid of using glue...I don't want to mess up my hairline.  Also, my forehead is not large so I would probably have to glue part of the lace onto my hairline instead of in front of my hairline so that it looks right.

Finally, are there any tips on the best way to glue the lacefront?  For the Diamondlox lace front wearers, does Stef give any tips on how to glue the lacefront so that it looks natural?  And for those who bought from Mylacefrontwig.com, what tips does Rhonda give on gluing the lacefront?  Rhonda's and Stefani's lacefronts look so natural on them so I'm wondering why it's so difficult for regular folks to glue it on.  How do they glue theirs?

Edited by beauty05
Sponsored Links

cocowhite View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2005 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by beauty05 beauty05 wrote:

I am very interested in purchasing a lacefront in the future but I want to research it fully before I decide to buy.  I did a search and looked up the lacefront related threads and all but I still would like more info.  For those having issues with  lacefronts.... 

I don't have any issues, besides the fact that the glue wasn't working for me, due to heat and my skin being excessively oily, to combat that I bought scalp protector and I have purchased two other tapes which adheres very well....

I haven't had any problems with the glue pulling out my hair. The thing is not to pull it out and use the remover so that it will slide off your hair and lacefront.

3) Are the chemicals in the glue safe for regular use and long term wear?  Yes! Check adventhair.com and have to get back with you on the other one, but it will let you know if they are medically safe for you.

4) How good is the glue remover. Does the glue remover, remove all the glue from both the wig and your real hair? It works well for. I have the citrus remover which is oily and I also have lace release which works veryyyy well on the lacefront with removing the glue and tape. The citrus remover works well for my hair.

5) Do you experience alot of shedding from the lacefront since the lace is fragile? No, because I haven't worn mine that much, so it is pretty much full and the wig brush that I got from when I had Great Lengths extensions in, work great with my lacefront.

For me I can get 3-4 days at, but that was due to the summer and my oily skin.

7) If you used tape to hold down the front of the lace front, does that method look as natural as using glue?

OKay my experience is this it looks the same, but for me as it starts to move back it looks like I have a lot of grease in my hair, at least that is what my boyfriend told me, since I have only worn it around him. The tape is a little shiny so I have to make sure I put it on just right or there is a glare.

HTH

Since they are so expensive, my thing is that if it is difficult to glue the lacefront or if the lacefront is difficult to put on, and the units wear out very quickly, it kind of defeats the purpose of spending all that money.  I'm also afraid of using glue...I don't want to mess up my hairline.  Also, my forehead is not large so I would probably have to glue part of the lace onto my hairline instead of in front of my hairline so that it looks right. It really just takes practice and patients. My attempt was horrible, but as I continued it got better and better. I don't know abou the wear and tear because my is barely being used. (Checking saved emails - A tip from Stef regarding longevity of lacefronts, she recommends rollersetting vs. using heat because once the moisture is gone you probably can't replace it) The tape works just as well. I bought proflex, fantastik, and euro-flex tape and I like the proflex tape the best so far...I wear a stocking cap so my hairline is protected. What I do is put the stocking over my babyhair and place the tape and / or glue on my forehead and stocking cap. I say before you glue play with it to see where you are comfortable as to where it will be on your head.

Finally, are there any tips on the best way to glue the lacefront?  For the Diamondlox lace front wearers, does Stef give any tips on how to glue the lacefront so that it looks natural?  And for those who bought from Mylacefrontwig.com, what tips does Rhonda give on gluing the lacefront?  Rhonda's and Stefani's lacefronts look so natural on them so I'm wondering why it's so difficult for regular folks to glue it on.  How do they glue theirs? Actually there was a tip in one of these threads from Essence that works wonders, I will search and try to find it for and post it in this thread, second yes Stef does provide instructions with the order and you can email her to, she is always willing to offer suggestions to make it as natural as possible. (another tip from Stef about applying the glue/tape

The way I use the glue is put it on the tape and the tape is uusally right above my temples.   Their is a slim slick area in the front of your unit.  Apply tape and glue there.  Try not to put tape on the lace area, glue will soak through and get nasty....apply it tro tape area and then make sure that tape area is only back there on the mono area, not the lace.  It doesnt act nasty on the mono area....just nasty on the lace area.    Also I apply it there, and on the 2 temple areas.  I dont even glue the back half the time.   With these 3 areas glued down you should be fine.

apply glue on hair, then take teh tape and apply it to the thin poly area on the wig and by the metal strip areas then put glue on tape and then put wig on, twist and adjust it to where you want it and press down.  Voila!) I used both essence and stef methods and it seems to work okay, but I haven't worn mine since last month, but will where this weekend, for photos, will take pics....okay hth

I'm sorry I missed the whole the bottom, see edits in blue...

Edited by caligirl
Nita81 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 19 2005 at 10:37pm

1) What exactly are the issues/problems with the glue?  Sometimes it can get a little messy and sticky.

2) Does the glue pull out your hairline?  No...I was very, very, careful with the removal of my unit. Make sure you use plenty of remover to loosen the glue.

3) Are the chemicals in the glue safe for regular use and long term wear?  I haven't heard anything negative from long term use. I wore my lacefront 1 week at a time....took it off to wash it and my hair.

4) How good is the glue remover. Does the glue remover, remove all the glue from both the wig and your real hair? The remover works pretty well. The was a little residue left on my lace. It's easier to remove the residue from the hairs IMO.

5) Do you experience alot of shedding from the lacefront since the lace is fragile? No

6) How long can you wear it before the glue starts to wear off? About 1 week.

7) If you used tape to hold down the front of the lace front, does that method look as natural as using glue? I haven't tried the tape.

Since they are so expensive, my thing is that if it is difficult to glue the lacefront or if the lacefront is difficult to put on, and the units wear out very quickly, it kind of defeats the purpose of spending all that money.  I'm also afraid of using glue...I don't want to mess up my hairline.  Also, my forehead is not large so I would probably have to glue part of the lace onto my hairline instead of in front of my hairline so that it looks right.

Finally, are there any tips on the best way to glue the lacefront?  For the Diamondlox lace front wearers, does Stef give any tips on how to glue the lacefront so that it looks natural?  And for those who bought from Mylacefrontwig.com, what tips does Rhonda give on gluing the lacefront?  Rhonda's and Stefani's lacefronts look so natural on them so I'm wondering why it's so difficult for regular folks to glue it on.  How do they glue theirs?

MO View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2005 at 9:26am

Beauty05 Thankx for asking those questions I needed that info also

Thankx Nita & Cali

beauty05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2005 at 11:39am

You're welcome Monet001...and also thanks so much Nita and Cali for your help. 

This topic is still very much open for more input so if there are anymore BHM lacefront wearers that can give more input/info, I would greatly appreciate it and I'm sure other members will too.  I need all the info I can get.

For Caligirl, I have some questions about some of your responses...My questions are in red.

I don't have any issues, besides the fact that the glue wasn't working for me, due to heat and my skin being excessively oily, to combat that I bought scalp protector and I have purchased two other tapes which adheres very well....

What two tapes did you buy?

4) How good is the glue remover. Does the glue remover, remove all the glue from both the wig and your real hair? It works well for. I have the citrus remover which is oily and I also have lace release which works veryyyy well on the lacefront with removing the glue and tape. The citrus remover works well for my hair.

Where did you purchase citrus remover and lace release? 

OKay my experience is this it looks the same, but for me as it starts to move back it looks like I have a lot of grease in my hair, at least that is what my boyfriend told me, since I have only worn it around him. The tape is a little shiny so I have to make sure I put it on just right or there is a glare.

Why does the lacefront start to move back and where and how specifically do you apply the tape?  Do you apply the tape to your forehead first or under the lace first? Is it a double side tape?  Does the tape's sheen show thru the lace?

For Nita81, I also have a question about one of your responses. 

4) How good is the glue remover. Does the glue remover, remove all the glue from both the wig and your real hair? The remover works pretty well. The was a little residue left on my lace. It's easier to remove the residue from the hairs IMO.

What is the name of the remover that you used and where did you purchase it from?

Edited by beauty05
charmed View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2005 at 1:50pm

Beauty,  you can purchase the glue, remover and tape from several toupee websites. I googled this info a couple of weeks ago and saw that the might tite was availalbe for a lot cheaper than MIH or MLFW was selling it for.  I have not received my first lacefront yet waiting to get it in the next 2 weeks.  I have not ordered the glue and/or tape. 

Now I believe that there are some lacefront instructions for application located on the board archives.  If not that is something that I have seen and will regoogle and post the results. 

I am watching this thread too because I want all the tips I can get when I get ready to have my lacefront installed.

beauty05 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2005 at 2:05pm

Thanks Charmed .

But I've looked thru all the threads and the information on how to apply the lacefront is not as specific as I'd like (I want specifics!!! ) and there seems to be so many different ways to apply it.  I'm looking for the best/tried and true way to apply it from members who have had success.  Also, I know you can get the glue, tape, etc. from many sites, but I want to know what is the best glue/tape/remover those who have had success with the lacefronts have used and where they bought it.

If there is anyone who has had their lacefront applied at a salon, how did your stylists apply the lacefront?

essence View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2005 at 3:23pm

I havent read anyone else's responses... Also you may want to change the topic title so that people know what the thread is about and make it easier for others to search

IMO the glue is difficult to deal with mainly b/c of the cleanup.  Its difficult to get it out of the lace holes and the lace will tear if you are not careful.  It also can get a lil gooey. 

I wore a stocking cap underneath the wig so I didnt have any glue or tape on my actual hair.  The remover is supposed to allow u to take the glue out of ur hair w/no problem but whenever possible I try not to put any type of glue in my hair.

3) Are the chemicals in the glue safe for regular use and long term wear?
Yes. If you believe the vendor.

4) How good is the glue remover. Does the glue remover, remove all the glue from both the wig and your real hair?
Its good are removing from skin.  As mentioned Ive never tried from hair.  It does good at removing glue from the surface of the lace but its hard to remove the residue from the actual holes in the lace.

5) Do you experience alot of shedding from the lacefront since the lace is fragile?
Over time the wig did shed but not too much.  And most of the shedding did not happen until after I REALLY abused the wig one weekend during a vacation to Miami.

I never kept my wig on for longer than 3 days/nights w/o taking it off.  With the glue/tape combo Im sure I could have kept it on for a week but Im not sure that it would last longer than that and still look "right"

IMO the tape is NOT as natural looking as the glue.  It is see thru but it still looks like there is a slight layer of "film" btw the wig and ur skin.

I only paid $210 for the his and hers.  And approximately $125 each for the ones I got from the China supplier.  So at that rate they are definitely worth the money for me.  I personally probably wouldnt spend more than $500 (if that) on one based on my experience.  But thats my own personal choice.  I think they are a great addition to any hair obssessed persons repetoire

For me the best thing was to use glue where ever you plan to have ur part and use the tape on the remainder of the perimeter.  The tape is a snap at clean up and to remove.  Therefore u are much less at risk of tearing the lace.  But the glue looks more real.  So u get the best of both worlds... I used to put the wig on my head just like I was gonna where it then just slide it back a lil.  Create a fake hairline w/glue/tape combo on forehead.  Then slide the wig on top and PRESS.  The key is to get the edge of the lace and glue lined up perfectly so there is not overlap on either one.

HTH

luv4sandy View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2005 at 5:55pm
Hello,

This message is for  ESSENCE. I wanted to know more information on the lace front wig you bought from the China supplier for $125.
I found one Chinese supplier but he was selling his lace fronts for $165 + shipping. $125 has been the cheapest I've heard of.
Is the the wig good quality?
Luckyday12 View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 20 2005 at 6:57pm

What makes a lacefront so much better than a sewn in weave? (not trying to sound snarky, i am very curious)

what are the advantages and disadvantages?

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
iLace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic