Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Children's Hair > Children's Health
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What age should you start shaving childs armpits?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat age should you start shaving childs armpits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Hair ViVi

Ultra

Author
greenttby View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2007 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by Sundae Sundae wrote:

wow, why can't kids be kids anymore? Why is it you bothering if your daughter has underarm hair. she's a child. I honestly don't get it. shaving is for teenagers and adults. i'm sorry but what kind of message are u sending to your daughter by shaving her armpits?
i'm saying this because women have enough self image issues and starting this from an early age is not going to help.
  Yes its important to discuss puberty with your child but she is 8. she is not a woman

If i get blasted so be it. just speaking my mind. If i knew you personally i would probably say the same thing.

no, i get what you are saying about letting kids be kids, however would you want your daugther on stage in a pink dance costume and and afro under her arms? my shaving he underarm hair will not prevent her from being a child or keep her from playing. As parents, arent we suppose to teach our children good hygiene practices...how to wash, what products to use. its never to early to teach these things. She doesn't have ot 'worry' about her armpit hair...she takes a nightly bath and while she is appliing lotions and poweders we shave her pits. its not worrysome, its part of teaching her responsbilities and good hygiene.

I personally do not think that i am teaching her to be a woman...well yes i am because as she goes through puberty and her body starts to change she needs to know certain things. I have recently heard of girls getting there periods at ages 8 and 10...if my daughter was one of those girls...would it not be appropriate to teach her how to hygenically care for herself?  nature sometimes forces us to start earlier sometimes. i haven't put her on a diet although i assist her in making good choices,or helped her pick out boyfriends or makeup(except for her dance recitals), i'm just teaching her to care of herself.

my experience as i briefly stated my mother was old school and didn't teach us to shave or pits...when i was 12 years old i went to bandcamp and my friends and i were at the campus swimming pool. i made some kind of gesture and raised my arms...our rival classmates busted out in laugher...my friends grabbed me and took me back to our room and they taught me how to shave. my parents were great parents, however their 'keep them young attitude' had me looking like a fool down at the pool.Tongue
So i understand you...yet i don't agree with your post.

i truly hope i am sending her a message of cleanliness is next to Godliness
Sponsored Links

greenttby View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2007 at 2:13pm
Excuse all of my typos, but i am typing on a labtop...i guess my fingers are too damned big for the keys.
Sundae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2007 at 5:10pm

Yes i do understand what you are saying. I am one of those girls who started puberty early. I was one of the first girls in my class to wear a bra and i started my period at 8 years old. I was shocked when i started. I knew what it was because i read books about it. My mum didn't even know if I fully understood what was happening to me. 

My mother did teach me about hygiene but she didn't encourage me to shave. She showed me how to clean my body.

To be honest, I think you are the one that has an issue with this "afro" under her arms more than she does.  Just explain to her why she is getting these hairs. I'm sure the term "afro" was more of an exaggeration though. I can't imagine an 8 year old with very hair arm pits.

I remember when i started noticing pubic hairs on my body. I did ask my mum why they were growing and she told me. Yes i felt embarrased about it, but i couldn't stop it. I don't even think it bothered me until i got in to high school. I started shaving well into my last year of school. 

If i come off a bit harsh, i don't  apologize. I'm seeing too many young girls growing up way to fast for my likings. They start having a complex with body image and a whole load other issues pop up that doesn't need to.

You asked a question and I'm just answering in my honest opinion. At the end of the day this is just my opinion. Your gonna do what you want to do regardless(that wasn't meant to be said in a rude way if your thinking it.

greenttby View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 12 2007 at 8:17pm
No, Sundae your statement did not come off harsh to me because as you said I ask the question on a public forum and although I did not expect someone to be so disturbed about the question... I do respect your opinion. But I don't think your 'harsh' opinion is very valid for such an issue. I do understand that some have had horrible experience(sexual, mental) and they tend to base their opinions on that.

You are right my daughter never had an issue with the hair growing under her armpits and i think i explained that i did speak to her about the changes her body has and will undergo. Within the last year she is  started  wearing deodorant. Should I teach her to accept her natural fragrance and not wear deodorant? Can you imagine viewing blonde hair with clunks of deodorant everytime your daughter does a cartwheel? That was not gonna happen. I will admit i am the one who has the issue. Again my daughter is very light skinned and she had these good sized blonde hairs sticking out of her summer, dance, and gymnastics clothing..yes I was being facicious when I said she had an afro, but she did have a nice little amount. And my husband's folks are some thick haired people.

Again, I really don't see why me shaving her armpits is growing her up too early or teaching her to not appreciate her body.  She has a few pubic hairs as well, but i am not messing with those. SmileHowever when they get out of control and she is older i will teach her to trim. It would be quite different if I was bleaching her skin, putting weave , waxing her eyebrows or even perming her hair.

I don't think shaving her armpits will effect her self esteem, no more than reminding her to wash and comb her hair daily. Again I never told her that having underarm hair made her dirty or bad. I just showed her how to care for herself.

BTW, do you feel that starting your period so early took away some of your childhood. You were pretty much biologically able to concieve a child at 8. I was 12 when i started my period and can't imagine my daughter starting that early. She has hair issue, but she has very little breast... She definetely looks 8.

Edited by greenttby - Apr 12 2007 at 8:25pm
Sundae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2007 at 7:25am

Hmm. I know what you mean but it just doesn't sit well with me doing something like that to an 8 year old. You may see it as nothing but thats up to you :) Yes I think i am disturbed about mothers doing this to their children, just like i'm disturbed when a mother puts a relaxer on their childs head. This is happening to black girls and it's getting younger and younger. I think these things effect young kids whether you notice it or not. I still remember getting burnt by those horrid pressing combs. I still wince when i see one of those things or a oven curling iron.

Me starting my period at an early age didn't take anything from my childhood. I just excepted it. I played when i was on, didn't really think to much into it really. I had a very heavy menstural cycle though which was a little bit of a pain but it never really bothered me.

I remeber the day before, I was supposed to go to the cinema with my friends. I woke up sooo sick. I had a headache, stomach ache and i just wasn't feeling right. I had to call my dad from work. He came and gave me paracetamol but nothing worked. I had no clue what was happening to me.

The next day i went to Sunday School and when i went to the bathroom i noticed that i had "started". I knew what it was straight away. I just put some toilet paper there and went on playing with my friends. I remember checking myself so often because i didn't want to bleed out lol. I was a little embarrassed to tell anyone, but i did tell my mum when i got home.

She was so shocked. she kept on asking me if i was SURE if it was it. I think she was really shocked though. she couldn't believe that i had started so young. She didn't start hers until she was 17!

With regards to your daughter, I didn't say she shouldn't wash or use deoderant, whether she shaves or not she will still sweat. Shaving doesn't cut down on how much you sweat. If she has blonde hairs then i'm assuming that they blend into her light skin, no?

As I said, you will do whats right for you and your daughter. Just giving an opinion. Everyone has one just voicing mines on the matter.
greenttby View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr 13 2007 at 3:37pm
And i thank you for your opinion..although I did question your opinion I am fully aware that people feel this way. My parents...especially my mother has the same opinion. The difference is she is 51 and still refuses to shave her pits. She doesn't wear clothes that would show this, but of course her child knows what she's hiding. So i guess i was just interested in opinions like yours...i'm also assuming that you are a 'young old head'Wink(under 50) and was suprised to hear someone with the same opinions as my mother.

You are right in your statement that who we are as adults has alot to do with how our parents raised us. My mother was big on appearance, she had two little girls and she dressed us to the 't'. Our hair was always pressed and combed with matching ribbons and bows. Even today people remember us by our appearances as children. My mother put a perm in my hair when i was about 9...and still today i am very particular about the way i look and i see myself passing it on to my child.The good thing is that although appearance was imporatnt she taught us morals and self respect, and hopefully i will be able to balance the both while raising my child. She did alter our hair from its natural state, but i don't remember her ever calling our natural hair 'ugly or nappy' and she never stopped us from running or playing...we just usually had on nice clothes when we playedSmile.

My daughter got her first perm in Septeber of 2006...yeah i know this is a bit young...and whatever opinon you have on this issue...i can truly see where you are coming from.  My mother had a fit about me perming my daughter's hair, however i was about the same age.  As with my mother i contacted who i thought was the best beautician to administer the perm and she has a standing 2 week appointment...but unlike my old beautician she is very patient.  The only bad experince i had with my perm was when i decided to 'box perm' my own hair a few years ago. yeah i lost some hair, chopped it off in a nice halle berry cut and now it has grown past my shoulder's. I just hope my daugter will have a good  experience with her hair as i did as a child. The only regret that i have about perming her hair is that i made a permanent decision for her...maybe that should have been her decision to make. I was either going to allow her to get locs or a perm...she liked both...i chose to perm it.

Thanks again for your comments.

Edited by greenttby - Apr 13 2007 at 4:01pm
naturesgift View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2007 at 3:06pm
I think it is really important for parents to be very aware of  all the food additives and GM food that is being forced on us as a culture... S.A.D. food is unatural food is destroying mother natures balance more and more we are starting to see young girls turn into women at a young age 7-8 I think it is Scary!!! this is a n excerpt from www.notmilk.com it is an article stating the reasons why  girl children are maturing at a faster rate than ever before, please try and give your family simple natural foods with out the CRAZY Hormones and food additifves its the simplest thing and can be the best thing you can do for the health of your family.  "supermarket" Cow's milk is dangerous for humans.... it causes so many problems excessive hormones are just one of the many danger's making girls mature fast.
"Every sip of cow's milk contains 59 different bioactive
hormones, according to endocrinologist Clark Grosvenor in
the Journal of Endocrine Reviews in 1992. Milk has always
been a hormonal delivery system, providing nursing infants
with nature's perfect food for the young of each species.
Thousands of studies published in respected peer-reviewed
scientific journals report that lactoferrins,
immunoglobulins, and hormones in human breast milk provide
enormous benefit for nursing humans. In other words,
hormones in milk work to exert powerful effects. Each
species of mammal has a different formula. Cow's milk
contains hormones, and nursing on cow's milk will deliver
these hormones to the human body.

As a little girl becomes a big girl, then a mature woman,
she will naturally produce in her lifetime the equivalent of
only one tablespoon of estrogen. Hormones work on a
nanomolecular lever, which means that it takes only a
billionth of a gram to produce a powerful biological effect.
Should little girls be encouraged to pop estrogen,
progesterone, and prolactin pills each day? If they drink
cow's milk, that is just what they are doing. If they eat
cheese and ice cream, they ingest concentrated forms of
these hormones."
In regards to shaving your babies AP's I think if she does'nt care about it than let it be, when you shave then the hair grows back thicker and more dense. Good Luck and happy healthy living.
glamrock View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 23 2007 at 10:47am
I would use Wahl clippers so that her skin will not chafe or develop razor bumps.
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 07 2007 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Hotchocolate Hotchocolate wrote:

Well my daughter is 11 and she had a few strand under there also, So I took her in the bathroom this pass Sunday and show her how to do it, she came back 30 min later and told me she did that and her Buttom hair and I was like OMG I didn't tell you to shave below....(Even though she needed it down there also )

LMAO!  Okay, that's funny!
Hair ViVi
Ultra
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic