Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Children's Hair > Children's Health
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What age should you start shaving child's armpits?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat age should you start shaving child's armpits?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
greenttby View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: What age should you start shaving child's armpits?
    Posted: Sep 08 2006 at 8:48am

Hi all. I visited this board yesterday and am seriously hooked. Good info!

My eight year old daughter had underarm hair and I could not take it  anymore and decided to shave it off.  She is a 'light skinned' child that has blondeish hair features. This blonde hair stuck out like a sore thumb under her arms!  This summer when she wore tanks or short sleeve shirts I could not stand to look at this blonde hair under her arms.  It was not skimpy, there was a nice amount under there. Anyways my husband said I shouldn't have done this because the hair did not have an odor or anything. My daughter takes gymnastics along with several dance classes, there is no way I was gonna have my little girl headlocking buttwheat with those skimpy dance outfits they wear for recitals and practice.

At what age or stage did you talk to your daughter about shaving or start shaving girls under age 13. My daugher was made aware of the different changes her body would undergo as she grows, however I explained how we would have to care for our bodies as these changes occur. 

My parents are from the old school and very southern and shaving armpits before age 13 was not happening and besides I didn't grown underarm hair until I was 12 or so. This is my daughter's  first step to puberty.

Edited by greenttby - Sep 08 2006 at 8:48am
Sponsored Links

Hotchocolate View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2006 at 11:30am
Well my daughter is 11 and she had a few strand under there also, So I took her in the bathroom this pass Sunday and show her how to do it, she came back 30 min later and told me she did that and her Buttom hair and I was like OMG I didn't tell you to shave below....(Even though she needed it down there also )
greenttby View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 08 2006 at 11:54am
LOl, 11 is more like it, but my daughter is 8! She doesen't have enough in her 'down there area' to shave. Its coming though, I can almost see what will soon be her breasts.

She' s not an overweight child, I guess I'm gonna have to accept that she is growing up.

Funny moment: When my daughter turned 7 she began complaining about her breast being sore. One was more sore than the other and it looked a little swollen. I was having a fit, thinking my daughter had some rare form of breast cancer. I was scared as hell! I took her to two different doctors, however they both informed me that she was starting puberty. One doctor even pinpointed that she will start her period at age 11. He said tender breast are teh beginning stages of puberty and that the period usually comes exactly 4 years later.  Just so happened I was over my mother n laws house and her daugther who moved up north was having the same concern with ehr daugther, in fact her dauther was crying about her tender breast over the telephone while I was there. The funny thing is that this was the same exact day that I had taken my daughter for her second checkup. My daughter is about 8 months older than she is. I felt good being able to provide her with valuable motherly infor. Unfortuantely I had to pay 2 co pays, she recieved the information for free.Big%20smile I just member being little older before having the same experiences.

Edited by greenttby - Apr 12 2007 at 8:21pm
lovel1900 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 10 2006 at 8:25pm
well, my sis started at 12 :D
gina View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 16 2006 at 4:53pm
I start when I was like 10 years old.
girliegirl0207 View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 07 2006 at 9:29pm
Well, I don't have any kids yet, but I remember shaving my legs for the first time when I was about 8. I think if it's there, you should shave it. You can get one of those Venus Razors for her. They are really good and it's really hard to cut yourself with those. 
Bonita View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 03 2007 at 11:44am
Originally posted by girliegirl0207 girliegirl0207 wrote:

Well, I don't have any kids yet, but I remember shaving my legs for the first time when I was about 8. I think if it's there, you should shave it. You can get one of those Venus Razors for her. They are really good and it's really hard to cut yourself with those. 

I agree! especially underarm hair! If you dont shave it she will probably start to smell even with deoderant! at least you are teaching your daughter good hygiene
MrsSidandi View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 05 2007 at 2:15pm
I think I started when I was 11.  I probably only had 3 or 4 strands, but I couldn't wait! LOLOL
Sundae View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 06 2007 at 4:42pm
wow, why can't kids be kids anymore? Why is it you bothering if your daughter has underarm hair. she's a child. I honestly don't get it. shaving is for teenagers and adults. i'm sorry but what kind of message are u sending to your daughter by shaving her armpits?
i'm saying this because women have enough self image issues and starting this from an early age is not going to help.

why can't kids be kids! she needs to be playing, learning, going over to friends etc not worrying about armpit hair.

Regardles if you have armpit hair or not, you will sweat. A girl going through puberty needs to understand that.

I know this is a friendly board and i have not been posting long enough for you to know who i am but i'm tired of mothers fussing over things like this. its really not important. Yes its important to discuss puberty with your child but she is 8. she is not a woman

If i get blasted so be it. just speaking my mind. If i knew you personally i would probably say the same thing.
lacewiglover View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 26 2007 at 3:11pm
delete

Edited by lacewiglover - May 28 2007 at 5:56pm
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training