Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Hair Growth Archives > Hair Growth Archives 2008
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Forum LockedWell Water or Hard Water

Post Reply Post Reply

Author
quietone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Well Water or Hard Water
    Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 4:16pm
Effects of Well Water/Hard Water

Domestic well water is ground water. The source of ground water is from rain passing through aquifers, which are layers of minerals. The acidity (pH below 7) of the rain increases the dissolving effect of minerals. These dissolved solids are found in the water when pumped above the ground and used to bathe.

The majority of ground (well) water is hard. The level of calcium that is found naturally from the ground determines the hardness of water. While calcium is the element that determines hardness of water, there are many other elements in well water that effect hair, scalp and skin.

While well water is fine for drinking, it can cause many problems for your hair, scalp and skin including:

Hair feels dry or damaged. It is resistant to color/highlighting, perming or relaxing/straightening. It's discolored by iron build-up (orange or rust color) or by copper build-up (blondes tint green, dark hair darkens). Hair lacks body and shine, is thinning or breaking, or color fades too quickly. Highlights turn "ruddy" or discolored. Perms fall out. Scalp is flaking, itching or inflamed. Scalp is dry. Symptoms of Dandruff/Eczema on scalp. Skin feels dry, skin flakes, and/or symptoms of eczema on skin.

What are the well water minerals that effect hair?

Calcium, Iron, Copper, Magnesium, Silica and Lead

How do minerals found in well water effect hair?

How calcium effects hair:

Calcium causes hair to feel dry and lack shine and volume. It can prevent the proper processing of color, highlights, perms or relaxer/straighteners and can cause a perm to appear relaxed. Calcium builds up on the scalp causing flaking of the scalp, giving the appearance of dandruff. Calcium can choke the hair at the mouth of the follicle causing the hair to break off, then coating the scalp, blocking further new hair growth.

How iron effects hair:

Iron leaves hair feeling dry, brittle and weighted down. It causes lack of shine and can cause dark hair to tint darker and blonde hair to turn orange. Iron can inhibit the proper processing of perms, color, highlights, and relaxers/straighteners

How copper effects hair:

Copper discolors hair causing blonde hair to turn green and dark hair to tint darker. Copper can weigh hair down and cause dryness, and can inhibit the proper processing of perms, color, highlights, and relaxers/straighteners.

How magnesium effects hair:

Magnesium causes hair to lack shine, feel dry, appear weighted down therefore lacking volume, and can inhibit the proper processing of perms, color, highlights, and relaxers/straighteners.

How silica effects hair:

Silica causes many of the same effects on the hair as calcium. It causes hair to feel dry, lack volume, and can cause dandruff-like symptoms of flaking. Build-up of silica can choke the hair follicle causing hair to fall out.

How lead effects hair:

Lead can cause the hair to feel dry. Lead can prevent the proper processing of perms, color, highlights, and relaxers/straighteners.

Treatment for well water and hard water conditions are available in a variety of products, such as demineralizing shampoos and conditionersand from products such as Malibu 2000’s Crystal Gel Treatment. Visiting a local salon and speaking with a stylist can help identify corrective treatment for well water users.

Sponsored Links

leeshbeesh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 4:22pm
this is incredibly helpful as my water is HARDER than HARD!
quietone View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 4:39pm
Leeshbessh, Glad to help!!

Other demineralizing shampoos are  Neutrogena Clean , Joico Resolve, Nexxus AloeRid, Origins Clear Head (Gal. LaFayette or Le Bon Marché,
bluemac View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 4:49pm
We usually use a water softener/filter out here in the desert.  Otherwise the water would wreck havoc on my hair. 

I remember visiting Germany and the water was so hard!  Angry  One of the ex-pats I knew there said it tore up her skin and turned her hair hard and brittle.
DrunkClouds View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 5:11pm
Thankfully i don't have that problem because i live in the north east and besides most don't use their own private well water around here. So our water is treated (or maybe we have less minerals in our water naturaly) i saw a map of the u.s of where the hard water was located mostly in the south and west. I don't know why they don't treat the water there, hopefully i will never have to deal with hard water. I wouldn't want to have to purchase filters and all of that the cost must add up. I am sure around here we pay for the filtering somehow maybe its hidden in a tax somewhere or something.

Edited by DrunkClouds - Nov 28 2007 at 5:15pm
leeshbeesh View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 5:29pm
yea drunkclouds...i am from ct and the water is GREAT, drinkable out the tap and everything lol. the water in england is yuck to me...my iron starts kicking out crap from the minerals in the water...our dishes get these permanant like limescale...UGH no offense to the other uk'ers but i need some better water out here
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic