Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection

Wedding Planning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
carolina cutie View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote carolina cutie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 10:38pm
I don't know nothin' bout no Nigerian weddings but congrats! I'm sure it will go smoothly especially with the extra advice from the ladies here.Beer
Sponsored Links

sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 10:51pm
Congrats Uppity....When I did mine we rented a huge hall and the church was upstairs from the hall. When you do a Nigeria wedding i'm sorry but no matter how you try and slim it down you really don't want to offend anyone either. We just sent invitations out to everyone. Some will show and some will not. All close friends and family contributed before the wedding. I didn't ask everyone just calls you up and asks you what do you want me to take care of. Then the aunties that bleached will ask you to list all the items that haven't been paid for so they can distribute it amongst the other relatives and rich uncles. Uppity don't stress everyone chips in one way or another. I was debt free after my wedding and walked home with trash bags of money from spraying. 
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Congrats Uppity....When I did mine we rented a huge hall and the church was upstairs from the hall. When you do a Nigeria wedding i'm sorry but no matter how you try and slim it down you really don't want to offend anyone either. We just sent invitations out to everyone. Some will show and some will not. All close friends and family contributed before the wedding. I didn't ask everyone just calls you up and asks you what do you want me to take care of. Then the aunties that bleached will ask you to list all the items that haven't been paid for so they can distribute it amongst the other relatives and rich uncles. Uppity don't stress everyone chips in one way or another. I was debt free after my wedding and walked home with trash bags of money from spraying. 

icannot. LOL
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sugabanana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 6:18am
One thing I hate about going to Nigerian weddings is they take so daggone long then you have to wait to be fed. I always try and sneak to get a seat near the food cos they call by tables....You always get those fat uncles that take 12 meats on purpose. Nicca they said take some and move on to the next tray....LOLCry

That was the greedy talking in me.....Carry on.
jdoriginal View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote jdoriginal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:38am

I am planning a wedding right now and JESUS LORD it is expensive. In addition I am planning it from afar without a coordinator and none of my bridesmaids are nearby. I am not one of those ppl who dreamed about this day from childhood and would have been happy with a gorg dress, amazing ring, and my father walking me down the aisle infront of 20 ppl followed by a lunch. But noooooo! My groom wanted a big party! Me, if I am doing the whole shebang, I want it classy. No community centre reception and DIY decor (unless I actually had family/ friends who did decor for a living).

Anyway on to your question...( may not necessarily apply to Nigerian weddings...

Ways to cut cost:

1. Prioritise elements of wedding and cut costs on those things falling at the bottom:

Top 3 priorities were food/ drinks, decor and ambiance.  Bottom 3 were favours, transport and paper elements (menus/ programmes etc) As such, I'm going to either do my paper elements or have them made as cheap as possible, my groom got a friend with access to a few nice cars to get a deal on that for us (so no limo or vintage cars) and I am trying to find cheap (but practical) favours. Some ppl cut out favours entirely.

2. Cut back on cost of dress:

Though a beautiful dress was important to me I decided to be practical and face the fact that I wont be wearing it for more than 8 hours and even less if my mom has her way (she wants me to change for the reception). I bought my dress from a Chinese vendor Dressilyme.com that does knock offs or can create a dress from pics you send. It's a simple lace dress and didnt look exactly like the picture I sent but I paid $350 USD+ shipping to the Caribbean when the real one costs about $1200 USD.  I intend to jazz it up by getting custom made jewellery from a local designer for about $160 USD.  You can also check out another chinese vendor called Jasmine's. I didnt buy from them because they are more expensive and take longer to make the dress but the work is better. You can also buy preownded dresses or rent them

3. Tap into your DIY side:

I did not have much confidence in my creative side but I thought to myself that in this day of Google where EVERYTHING you need to know is online I should at least try. So I decided to make a flower and brooch bouquet. Got a lot of compliments on it, so I decided to make my brides maids bouquet, boutonnieres etc. They are satisfactory and cost like 1/3 of fresh bouquets. My groom even told me that I could actually do this on the side with more practise :).

4. Keep guest list down:

I have a large family and the groom has a lot of friends. It's been a struggle. We are losing the battle but still trying to keep our list at 130.

5. Utilise friends with talents:

My MCs will be one of his friends and one of mine. DJ is a friend of his. Videographer is a friend of mine. Try to find friends to make the cake, do your favours, co-ordinate etc.

6. Utilise networks:

I didnt have any to use but my cousin's reception was held at a hall owned by the social club his father was member of. Think he got it at half off.

7. Use up and coming vendors:

If you are willing to take the risk, hire people who are relatively new to the industry. My photographer is not one of the big names in my country but he also charged 2/3 what they did.  I can see from his facebook that he is not AS good but good enough for my requirements plus he is getting better at each wedding. Also up and coming people are more open to ideas and give 110% because they are trying to build a client base.  Do your research though. I found a potential day coordinator that was only about 2 yrs in the business and charging 1/2 of what others were. I found one of her recent clients on facebook and also a friend had her as a friend and they both said the same thing : she is NOT the most organised. So research research research first!

Edited by jdoriginal - Jan 08 2014 at 9:02am
Yardgirl View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yardgirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 7:56am
Congratulations Uppity! Heart
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 8:50am
Awwww congrats!

I'm lurking...my bf woke up on NYE wanting to go to the justice of the peace. I already found the ring he's been trying to "hide", so I know it's coming soon.

I agree with those who said self-catering. I think food can quickly drive the wedding costs up. Just make sure the food is good.

DIY decorations and gifts, they're more personal and you can tweak them to your liking.

Don't settle because you don't want many regrets on your wedding day. BUT, try to find the happy medium between what you want and what's affordable.
QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 9:55am
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

congrats!!!

he's not footing the whole bill?

Thanks, though I'm not officially engaged yet. No, him, his parents, and my parents will contribute, hence the we. I have only my exquisite taste of offer. I'm just a lowly student.

I'm confused by "not officially engaged yet" Is it like he already asked and you said yes but it's not official until he asks your parents for your hand in marriage and they give their blessings type of thing.

QueenBee View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote QueenBee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:00am
Oh Congrats....

Oh, I had a friend get married on a Sunday and another on a Friday evening. Both said the venues were cheaper.    

Also, are you looking a particular month some things a cheaper based on the season.

Edited by QueenBee - Jan 08 2014 at 10:01am
GoodGirlGoneGr8 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GoodGirlGoneGr8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 08 2014 at 10:04am
^^If you had to choose between Sunday and Fri evening, I say choose Sunday. I went to a Fri evening wedding and trying to scurry to another city after work to get dressed in time for everything was too hectic.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
  Share Topic