BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Wedding Planning

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
uppitynegroid View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Originally posted by Senior Detective Senior Detective wrote:

what kind of monetary gifts r u expecting?  $100, 200, 250 check in a card?Confused

I never "expect" any kind of gift for an event. I just want it to be fun.
well how much is appropriate or acceptable?

Well many of my friends are in grad school or still starting out so honestly participating (travelling to the wedding, purchasing a bridesmaids dress, etc.) is all I expect from them. I'd rather them invest in participating in the wedding than give me money or a gift and not be part of it.

Older people, its really based on income. Most Nigerians don't give gifts, they spray money at the reception and/or give you additional money. Most people spray $20-$50 depending on how much they dance and give you $100-$500 extra.

I'm not really familiar with what's considered an acceptable amount.

Edited by uppitynegroid - Jan 07 2014 at 5:46pm
Sponsored Links

AmiliaCabral View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote AmiliaCabral Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:48pm
congrats!!

I went to my friend's budget Nigerian wedding that I thought was really nice...but she said all the elders were pissed off that she didn't have the kola nut and there was a cash bar. People actually called her classless and tacky at the reception! Nigerians go so hard lol

So my only advice is make sure all the basics are there and cut the fat in other areas
goodm3 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goodm3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 5:53pm
the only thing i can think of is a destination wedding....

is there an 'expectation' to attend weddings in Nigerian cultures regardless of where it is? ex-if you have your wedding in Hawaii...what percentage of those 50 cousins would come?
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 6:04pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

the only thing i can think of is a destination wedding....

is there an 'expectation' to attend weddings in Nigerian cultures regardless of where it is? ex-if you have your wedding in Hawaii...what percentage of those 50 cousins would come?

Nope. I also considered the destination thing because it keeps the nosey people away. Then again, travelling for the wedding is fun for them too, so who knows, lol.

That's why I started the thread, b/c my bf was asking when we realistically would be ready to start the planning and obviously that's dependent on how much it will cost. I know it will be a lot but I just like to minimize any avoidable expenses for the main 2 ceremonies.

Lets see I have 4 1st cousins on my mom's side living here. The total of them their spouses and kids comes to 19. They will all definitely come. I have 2 1st cousins on my dads side and the total with their families is 6 so that's 25. I'm confident at least 10 of the ones in Nigeria and England will come, so with their spouses and children, I'm already over 50 people.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uppitynegroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 6:05pm
Originally posted by AmiliaCabral AmiliaCabral wrote:

congrats!!

I went to my friend's budget Nigerian wedding that I thought was really nice...but she said all the elders were pissed off that she didn't have the kola nut and there was a cash bar. People actually called her classless and tacky at the reception! Nigerians go so hard lol

So my only advice is make sure all the basics are there and cut the fat in other areas

How rude.

Edited by uppitynegroid - Jan 07 2014 at 6:06pm
purple.chuckz View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purple.chuckz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 6:08pm
Guuurrrlllll. I would rather elope and use the money towards a house, but my parents REALLY REALLY want a wedding. 
My mother even told me to just find myself a nice apartment. I am checking out ebay for white dresses, but will also have an African print dress made for me. Check out interests for ideas and bridal expos. I have recruited friends and my SIL for tips. 

Don't do a cash bar. As a fellow African, if it's a small event, avoid the cash bar. 
ragincajin View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ragincajin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 7:11pm
Congrats!!!

I know you won't like this, but in Beaver Creek, after getting your license, you can marry yourselves! Seriously. This is wonderful for second marriages, may not work for firsts.

Weddings there are prohibitively expensive, but can done on a shoestring if you're smart and plan ahead- even in high season.

You can get a local minister if you like.
Then invite immediate family, get a nice cake from a local bakery, have ceremony, go to dinner in the village.

$700 bucks max without air!
It's the lodging that will kill you :(

http://www.beavercreek.com/groups/weddings-winter.aspx

Edited by ragincajin - Jan 07 2014 at 7:11pm
yaya24 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yaya24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 7:51pm
Congrats (in advance)!!

I have no suggestions, just congrats!!

You will get blessed with plentiful returns.

My sister is doing a destination wedding this summer. My parents struggled for a while with accepting her decision. Her Fiance is not Nigerian though. She will have her traditional here.

One of my girlfriends (I'm in the bridal party) already has a HUGE invite only + no kids guest list for her white wedding in May. The traditional will be a free for all attendance.
Im_oh_so_hott View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Im_oh_so_hott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 7:54pm
What $ amount would you like to stay under ?
Tbaby View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan 07 2014 at 10:25pm
Congrats!!!Party
I don't know anything about Nigerian customs so can't help you there.  We did look at several places but ended up marrying at my church and having the reception there which did save us alot
of money (membership discount FTW, LOL)  I had a wedding planner and her connections saved us much money as well.
Had my extended family be attendents/runners for help which was great.  Finally its ok to cut costs as much as possible--save your money for the honeymoon!!

Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
  Share Topic