Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > The Archives > Natural Hair Care - Archives > Natural Hair Care Archives 2009
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Forum LockedWearing wigs to grow out hair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
shanisha View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wearing wigs to grow out hair
    Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 9:04am
How should i maintain and take care of the hair underneath of the wig?

Also, I wore a half wig for about 2 wks after my BC and it seemed that my edges were getting weak and thin.

I am thinking about going back to the wig since I feel like I can't control my dry, natural hair.  So im thinking about getting it corn rowed or just mositurizing, oiling it and wearing a shower cap under the wig for manageability.

Thank you!
Sponsored Links

Afrocentchic View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 11:29am
::Waves:: Hey sis!

I did  this for about a year.
I kept my hair in cornrows and would deep condition pretty much all day after church sunday, rinse, wash. Then grease it and have my mom braid it for me (my braiding skills are horrible)

Be careful of wigs that will "Eat" your hair line. The ones with combs in the front can cause breakage. Also becareful if you choose to wear an LF and get it the circumfrence a half inch bigger than what you need. If you are a hair ball like me, and you don't order it a half inch bigger, the adhesive will be right on your hair line and rip you hair out...(I found out the hard way. My hair grew back, but if you get REALLY close you can still see the scar. LOL

I hope this helps you.

Edited by Afrocentchic - Dec 17 2008 at 11:30am
Terchera View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 12:11pm
Hey! I have just started wearing full wigs. I will wash and condition my hair once or twice a week. I spray my hair with my glycerin and water mix and a leavein conditioner and braid my hair. Then I put a wig cap on. Daily I also spray my mix of carrot oil, almond oil and ORS olive oil onto my hair to keep the moisture. As far as when I have combs in my wigs or half wigs.....I make sure to bobby pin my wig cap to my hair in 3-4 spots. Then I put the comb in the wig cap part instead of my hair. And this works really well...I have not had any thinning and i have been doing this for about 9 months now. Because as Afrocentchic said above it will eat your hairlin and cause breakage. Also, unless you have to do not wear your wig all day....let your hair breathe. I hope this helps.
MsMiamiLady View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 6:10pm
before i put on [my wig] and after i take out [my wig] i moisturize[ and seal with an oil after]my natural hair.... especially my temple and nape area.  i shampoo wash my natural hair 1x a week and co wash my natural hair every other day or so.  && most importantly... when i'm in my house or dorm or sleeping, my wig is off.  thats my wig regimenSmile hth
BeautyWitch View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 6:26pm
I baggy underneath during the day.
co-wash at nights and allow to air dry until morning
clarify and deep condition once a week.

2009 I will be wearing wigs all year for 3 months at a time to give my hair a break from braids. I love how easy it is and I get great growth with them
pmrannie View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 17 2008 at 9:07pm

I'm transitioning with half wigs myself.  I just don't put the back comb in.  I put the front comb in but its about 3 or 3 and a half inches away from my hairline.  I wear a wrap-around soft headband with two strings in the back that I tuck under the comb.  I don't get any breakage or thinning this way.

I also cowash once or twice a week depending on how bad the Florida sun is at the time and shampoo with diluted shampoo once a week.  I moisturize and leave my hair in a ponytail or braids under the wig.  I think for next year I'm going to switch between some kind of kinky, curly ponytail and my wigs until I'm ready to big chop.
ladymzlee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2008 at 9:42am

I wear wigs everyday until I'm ready to reveal my hair. What I do is moisturize my edges and nape with castor oil and Megatek (part of a personal challenge to regrow my edges).

My hair underneath is braided into about 8 cornrows. I keep the braids moisturized with a mixture of braid spray and Care Free Curl Gold (I do this in the morning before I put on the wig). I just started wearing my satin sleep bonnet under my wig to protect my hair, nylon wig caps can be very damaging to my hair. I wash and DC my hair every Sunday, let it airdry a bit then rebraid.

I avoid half wigs because I don't like trying to blend the leave-out hair with the wig and if a wig comes with combs attached, I don't use them..I pin the wig to my braids.
Mervqueen View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2008 at 12:47pm
I wash and condition every 3-4 days, moisturize and seal daily, I also use a growth aide. Your hair will be well protected.

Good luck!
MsRaheem View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 18 2008 at 3:53pm
Here is what I do when I put my wigs on....

Edited by MsRaheem - Dec 19 2008 at 4:23am
DP4Life View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2008 at 1:01am
I wear falls (the one with the combs)  and LF. It seem like the wigs take the moisture out of my hair. I think I am going to use a clear shower cap and put a wig liner on top of that to maintain the moisture, than I will put the wig on.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
FAB Hair Premium Hair Extensions
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic