BHM BHM BHM
Summer Hair Takeover Specials
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

We may never get it....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:08pm
Originally posted by femmemichelle femmemichelle wrote:

Err Africans actually living in Africa deserve reparations just as much. If yall think you have it bad, imagine being in the locales where the white populations decimated, destroyed, and pillaged. 

The US owes the majority of the world an apology, honestly.
TBH, while it is important, it is a separate issue and it involves more than just the United States, as they were not the only ones responsible--or even the ones primarily responsible for what happened in Africa.  If we were to talk about what happened in Africa, it would have to involve a discussion with the Dutch, the English, the Germans and the Portuguese. 

I'm not trying to say who had it worse, but when I think about what happened in America, on American soil--the free labor, the beatings, the rapings, the experiments, throwing young children into swamps as bait for alligators.  When I think about the lynchings, the stealing of property, the burning of people and their property...when I think of the amount of black people in prisons today, how even after the civil rights movement we are still treated as 70% of a person, when I think or how kids and adults walking down the damn street can get shot by the very people who are supposed to protect us, about how other people come from other countries to America and have the audacity to question why we are so ratchet without ever stopping to think what we have been through and maybe even wonder if we are just tired of fighting, I can't help but to think, the United States of America owes US FIRST. 
Sponsored Links

TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:20pm
I don't think of reparations as handouts.  I think of it as money owed for free labor, pain, suffering and compensation for government-sanctioned STEALING.  I feel like the only way to get people to understand the seriousness of the issue is to hit them in their wallets.  Everything else up until now has just been a bandaid for a gaping wound.  We can't even take proper advantage of affirmative action because whites have managed to gfumble their way around that so we can't benefit, yet accuse us when we succeed.  The government needs to be held responsible and stop with the penny for you, dollar for me bullshyt they have been doing to try and keep us quiet over this issue.  I also wish they would stop trying to trivialize the issue by making us believe we are after handouts.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

I don't think of reparations as handouts.  I think of it as money owed for free labor, pain, suffering and compensation for government-sanctioned STEALING.  I feel like the only way to get people to understand the seriousness of the issue is to hit them in their wallets.  Everything else up until now has just been a bandaid for a gaping wound.  We can't even take proper advantage of affirmative action because whites have managed to gfumble their way around that so we can't benefit, yet accuse us when we succeed.  The government needs to be held responsible and stop with the penny for you, dollar for me bullshyt they have been doing to try and keep us quiet over this issue.  I also wish they would stop trying to trivialize the issue by making us believe we are after handouts.

Clap
I think that is a huge part of the problem, is that they are seen as something unearned and undeserved.

it seems like the general consensus among white ppl is that (and i'm loosely quoting 'the office' here) "yeah, bad ish happened, but it was a long time ago, so we don't need to talk about it" when in reality, they are still benefiting from that, and getting upset when black people (or POCs) want to rightfully level the playing field.

i wholeheartedly disagree and believe that we are entitled (yes, it is an entitlement) to be compensated.
whosbotheringme View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whosbotheringme Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 12 2013 at 5:53pm

Err Africans actually living in Africa deserve reparations just as much. If yall think you have it bad, imagine being in the locales where the white populations decimated, destroyed, and pillaged. 

TBH, while it is important, it is a separate issue and it involves more than just the United States, as they were not the only ones responsible--or even the ones primarily responsible for what happened in Africa.  If we were to talk about what happened in Africa, it would have to involve a discussion with the Dutch, the English, the Germans and the Portuguese. 

I'm not trying to say who had it worse, but when I think about what happened in America, on American soil--the free labor, the beatings, the rapings, the experiments, throwing young children into swamps as bait for alligators.  When I think about the lynchings, the stealing of property, the burning of people and their property...when I think of the amount of black people in prisons today, how even after the civil rights movement we are still treated as 70% of a person, when I think or how kids and adults walking down the damn street can get shot by the very people who are supposed to protect us, about how other people come from other countries to America and have the audacity to question why we are so ratchet without ever stopping to think what we have been through and maybe even wonder if we are just tired of fighting, I can't help but to think, the United States of America owes US FIRST. 

ClapClapClap
pattigurlatl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pattigurlatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 5:58am

Over the four centuries of Portuguese involvement in the Atlantic slave trade, an estimated 10 to 15 million Africans were transported to the European colonies in the Americas. Of these, over 3.5 million were taken to Brazil, many arriving after the growth of the coffee industry in the mid-nineteenth century. Even after the Atlantic slave trade to Brazil was declared illegal in 1850, contraband ‘Black Gold’ continued to be smuggled across the ocean.

The first Africans were herded ashore in north-east Brazil in the year 1538. The decision to exploit imported and unpaid black labour had been prompted partly in response to a Papal Bull of 1537, which forbade the enslavement of the indigenous ‘Indians’ (though this was soon to be totally disregarded), and partly because the African’s more robust constitution, greater immunity to the white man’s diseases and conditioning to hard, physical work in a tropical environment made him more suitable than the native as potential slave material. Besides, the Portuguese were long familiar with the African in the role of chattel.

http://www.historytoday.com/john-geipel/brazils-african-legacy
afrokock View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote afrokock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:09am

lol!!!
Naturalchick30 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Naturalchick30 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

Originally posted by Ms.Best Ms.Best wrote:

I think Native Americans are more successful in obtaining various forms of government "reparations" and grants. While doing my scholarship search it was obvious early on that a SIGNIFICANT amount of scholarship money was set aside specifically for Native Americans and their descendents.

for what they have went through, the reparations, or "benefits" are a slap in the face, honestly.

it's not even close to being what they are owed.

neither would we, tbh. no monetary amount would be enough. however, some we should receive some sort of recompense as a start and i'm not talking some half azz "sorry we're not sorry" apology.

however, the process still needs to get started.

those that mentioned higher educational benefits/stipends, i wholeheartedly agree with.

revamping other social services in the US that negatively affect AA (ex. prison system/educational system-including how school funding is calculated and disbursed/CPS-bc black children make up a disproportionate number in foster care, i believe 42%)

that's a good start.

This
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:33am
I honestly believe that we can be sucessful without their benifits and reparations.
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:39am
I used to believe that, but then I realized, making it isn't the problem.  Finding a way to KEEP IT without white interference is the problem.
babyk94 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote babyk94 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 13 2013 at 7:47am
If they are giving us reparations that's definitely interfering, and if that happened and blacks started doing better they will turn around and take all types of credit for it. That's how I see it
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Make Them Stare Hair
DivaWigs.com
Premium Quality Human Hair Extensions and Closures
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic