BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Angkor Cambodian Hair

We may never get it....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>

Bootiful Cream

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 4 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
pattigurlatl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote pattigurlatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:11pm

The Impact of Slavery on African American Culture

By spigmike

Slavery had an extremely malignant impact on the development of African-American culture. However, this impact was caused several factors, not solely their treatment. The destruction of their previous culture and removal from their heritage, their inability to communicate as slaves, and the impact of slavery after emancipation all negatively affected African-American Culture.Through slavery, Africans completely lost their heritage and previous culture. They were separated from their families, and cultural items such as their drums with which they used to communicate were also taken away. Their original names were ignored, and their master or the person who gave them their new name usually just named them on a whim without any consideration to what their name had been previously or what name they wished to have. As slaves, they weren't allowed to perform African rituals or practice their religion. Everything that had once been a part of their culture was no longer a part of their life.Slavery also disrupted communication between slaves that might have led to the formation of culture during this time period. Slaves weren't allowed to speak in their native languages, and the little English that they knew did not allow them to effectively communicate. Masters also prevented their slaves from learning to read and write, so the potential for them to be able to communicate was severely limited. Because slave owners were afraid that the ability to communicate and intelligence would result in slaves escaping or revolting, slaves were never allowed to learn anything that would benefit them intellectually.Even after slaves were emancipated, slavery has had a constant malignant impact on their culture. Much of their art and music was based on the terrible memories from slavery. Slavery put African-Americans at a racial disadvantage, which has taken them over a century to fight, and they still have not completely overcome this disadvantage. The racism that they have faced has led them to become bonded like an extended family, but this bond is a method of defense rather than an actual cultural bond. The impact of the memories and racism of slavery has caused African-Americans to create a culture based around their defense and overcoming racism, rather than a common religion or common practice.Slavery has left an indelible impact on African-Americans as a whole. Overcoming such an obstacle is impossible, and memories of slavery will always be held within them. The removal of their culture, their restrictions as slaves, and the impact of slavery after emancipation have all negatively affected the culture that they have created.Sources: Kennedy, David, Lizabeth Cohen, Thomas A. Bailey. The American Pageant. Boston: Houghton Mifflin, 2002.
Sponsored Links

texasmami0117 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (14) Thanks(14)   Quote texasmami0117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:14pm
We should get free higher education. Or ATLEAST only have to pay 2/3.
Ladybird0724 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ladybird0724 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

FCensoredKERS

Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

Oliver goes on to add that "as much as 80 percent of the wealth people accumulate over the course of their lifetimes actually begins as a gift from a relative. That gift can come in the form of a down payment on a first home, a college education, or an inheritance from a parent or grandparent."

when I watch suze orman, I get frustrated b/c these young people have sooo much money. like 250k in liquid they got from inheritances and stuff.

im not surprised at white ppl not wanting to even apologize for slavery seeing as they like to pretend that 'slavery wasn't that bad'...its like they get bitter b/c they feel that we should pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and reparations are a handout, when in reality, we didn't even have anything to pull ourselves up by until maybe the past 50yrs.

random thought: white ppl bitch about tax breaks that american indians get and be like, "they don't deserve it, they didn't work for it" Confused I don't think they got an apology either

Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:17pm
The racism that they have faced has led them to become bonded like an extended family, but this bond is a method of defense rather than an actual cultural bond.

I like ^this line but everything else he wrote was too vague
texasmami0117 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote texasmami0117 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

when I watch suze orman, I get frustrated b/c these young people have sooo much money. like 250k in liquid they got from inheritances and stuff.

I work for a bank and it's sickening how many 18-25 year old white (and indian) kids I see coming through who can't spell, can barely speak properly and who have over $40,000 in the bank and still getting a monthly transfers from daddy's account every month. Like WHY? NO FAIR!
Alias_Avi View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Alias_Avi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:23pm
Which is why I don't watch that show!

Censored Not even White people pulled themselves "up by their bootstraps". They had 400 years of legislature that supported them being hired in the best jobs! 400 years + of FREE economic stimulus in the form of slavery. WEALTH acquired by the destruction and THEFT of fertile lands that were not theirs! Their money is not THEIRS!

Originally posted by Ladybird0724 Ladybird0724 wrote:

im not surprised at white ppl not wanting to even apologize for slavery seeing as they like to pretend that 'slavery wasn't that bad'...its like they get bitter b/c they feel that we should pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and reparations are a handout, when in reality, we didn't even have anything to pull ourselves up by until maybe the past 50yrs.

random thought: white ppl bitch about tax breaks that american indians get and be like, "they don't deserve it, they didn't work for it" Confused I don't think they got an apology either

pattigurlatl View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote pattigurlatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:23pm
They had a 400 year head start, that's why.
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:25pm
Originally posted by texasmami0117 texasmami0117 wrote:

We should get free higher education. Or ATLEAST only have to pay 2/3.
No, have us pay 1/3. America's so great but tuition for 4 years is more than an average American's salary. My tuition is $1,000 a credit plus university fees etc
ScorpioLuv View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScorpioLuv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

Even IF African Americans were to get reparations, I doubt it would come in the form of monetary wealth for each individual

More likely to be infused into our institutions and used to build our communities

I think this is something that Black ppl NEED to get entitled enough to demand because, without a shadow of a doubt, our community (despite the fact that "we've" never been slaves) deserves it

Too many Black people are intimidated by the loud voices of disapproving Whites who love to rub it in our faces that they've "earned" their wealth (by preventing others from accumulating theirs) through their "hard work" and "intelligence". The White group of yesterday did what they did so that White people today can live like they live. They need to PAY

This. Also when it's infused into our institutions, theyll still be very hard to get into and cost to damn much for most to attend
CamiK View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (9) Thanks(9)   Quote CamiK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb 11 2013 at 7:38pm
Fuk paying anything!! We should be admitted to any graduate and professional school we wish to go to ...and for FREE!!!!! We should also be given monthly stipends as well as a large lump some at the beginning of each academic yearApprove 

I will come up with some other sh*t later...
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Glam Twinz
Weave Connection
Little Black Scarg
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic