Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - We Invented Jesus Christ
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Perfect Hair Collection
 

We Invented Jesus Christ

 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>




The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 8 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Doc Holiday View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 28 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 2629
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Doc Holiday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

LOL. What's the meaning of the expression "straw man", anyway? I don't understand. Serious question. English is not my first language.

In the context that I used it, a straw man is a logical fallacy. This discussion is getting to a point where you're arguing against what you want me to say rather than what I actually said (hence, arguing against a straw man). You angle you took would have been totally valid if I said "absolutely certain" or neglected to use the qualifier "fairly." I will admit that it's an oxymoronic phrase, but an oxymoron isn't a contradiction.


Edited by Doc Holiday - Oct 11 2013 at 11:55pm
Back to Top
Sponsored Links


Back to Top
kfoxx1998 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 06 2008
Status: Offline
Points: 116506
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kfoxx1998 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 11 2013 at 11:55pm
But Jolie we DO comprehend each other.   We just have various opinions and communication styles.   Knock it off.   We family!
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 146450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 12:02am
Originally posted by Doc Holiday Doc Holiday wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

LOL. What's the meaning of the expression "straw man", anyway? I don't understand. Serious question. English is not my first language.

In the context that I used it, a straw man is a logical fallacy. This discussion is getting to a point where you're arguing against what you want me to say rather than what I actually said (hence, arguing against a straw man). You angle you took would have been totally valid if I said "absolutely certain" or neglected to use the qualifier "fairly." I will admit that it's an oxymoronic phrase, but an oxymoron isn't a contradiction.
OK, gotcha. Funny because that is exactly what I think of when I hear "fairly + certain". Logical fallacy. An oxymoron is an expression that contains contradictory terms, so yes an oxymoron IS a contradiction. But I'll stop there because you're assuming that I'm trying to get you to say something you don't want to say and that couldn't be further from the truth. I just tend to be doubtful of "certainties", degrees and all. 


Edited by JoliePoufiasse - Oct 12 2013 at 12:02am
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 146450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 12:03am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

But Jolie we DO comprehend each other.   We just have various opinions and communication styles.   Knock it off.   We family!
But knock what off? I thought this was a conversation. That is my contribution to the conversation. My views need not be irritating to anyone in that context.
Back to Top
Doc Holiday View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 28 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 2629
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Holiday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 12:05am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

OK, gotcha. Funny because that is exactly what I think of when I hear "fairly + certain". Logical fallacy. An oxymoron is an expression that contains contradictory terms, so yes an oxymoron IS a contradiction. But I'll stop there because you're assuming that I'm trying to get you to say something you don't want to say and that couldn't be further from the truth. I just tend to be doubtful of "certainties", degrees and all. 

Rhetoric .
a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in“cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”

A common misconception.
Back to Top
TokyoRose View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Jan 20 2005
Location: Chiba, Japan
Status: Offline
Points: 125828
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TokyoRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 12:06am
Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

Funny thing is I sometimes think that if Jesus were to show up right now we would be first to actually look at his receipts and say, well yes dude is legit.   In this environment he would been thrown in the looney bin straight away because everyone would be busy telling him what they believe Jesus is supposed to be like.  And if he shows up black many will be happy but more will laugh in his face.  I'm fairly certain he won't show up though.  I'll be open to his receipts if he does.




This is exactly my position on Jesus supposedly returning. I'd be the could be sitting in a church and no congregation member would believe he was who he said he was.

If he provided evidence, I would believe him.
Back to Top
Doc Holiday View Drop Down
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: Jul 28 2009
Status: Offline
Points: 2629
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doc Holiday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 12:06am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Originally posted by kfoxx1998 kfoxx1998 wrote:

But Jolie we DO comprehend each other.   We just have various opinions and communication styles.   Knock it off.   We family!
But knock what off? I thought this was a conversation. That is my contribution to the conversation. My views need not be irritating to anyone in that context.

I'm pretty sure (there it goes again) that foxx is just playing.
Back to Top
Sang Froid View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Aug 08 2010
Location: Ethiopia
Status: Online
Points: 305640
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sang Froid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 12:07am
Math and music are like.....the same thing.
Back to Top
JoliePoufiasse View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member


Joined: Jul 20 2011
Location: SupaFlyKingdom
Status: Offline
Points: 146450
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoliePoufiasse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 12:07am
Originally posted by Doc Holiday Doc Holiday wrote:

Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

OK, gotcha. Funny because that is exactly what I think of when I hear "fairly + certain". Logical fallacy. An oxymoron is an expression that contains contradictory terms, so yes an oxymoron IS a contradiction. But I'll stop there because you're assuming that I'm trying to get you to say something you don't want to say and that couldn't be further from the truth. I just tend to be doubtful of "certainties", degrees and all. 

Rhetoric .
a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in“cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”

A common misconception.
 

 

ox·y·mo·ron  

/ˌäksəˈmôrˌän/
Noun
A figure of speech in which apparently contradictory terms appear in conjunction (e.g., faith unfaithful kept him falsely true).
Back to Top
Jewelsnyc View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member
Avatar

Joined: Nov 15 2010
Location: Brick City
Status: Offline
Points: 160522
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote Jewelsnyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Katrenia Katrenia wrote:

I'm a Christian, I have no interest in what an atheist or a muslim or a catholic believes as it doesn't concern me and it's their right to choose.
I often wonder why non Christians concern themselves with what they consider an archaic or false belief??
Not calling you dumb, but that was a dumb statement.

You grown stronger in your faith when you can understand why your faith is such. If you don't explore, or at the very least understand other religions, how can you consider your religion the one true religion? You cut yourself off from a deeper understanding of your own faith that way.

Any true biblical scholar studies other faiths in order to understand and grow stronger in their own faith...
Back to Top
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Dependable Quality Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 33>
  Share Topic   

Forum Jump Forum Permissions View Drop Down